Help! Need ideas for some homemade footwear

EgillDaEagle

Chapter Presidents
Aug 12, 2010
Hey hey all, I am the newly appointed President of MI's UP chapter. I'm going to do my first 5k, (I know I know, weak for being the Prez). Nevertheless, I planned on doing this run totally barefoot, however I want to experiment with some kind of minimalist footwear before I go out there and kill myself, as it will completely on paved roads, and I run primarily on trails. I would like some advice, ideas, photos, blue prints of YOUR homemade minimalist footwear. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

The only shoes I use now when

The only shoes I use now when my soles are sensitive are these:
sandals1.JPG
sandals2.JPG
I used an old leather purse from the thrift store and 5mm polypropylene rope from Lowes. The tying method is described here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFuUtsA5oew I don't run long distances, just 3 miles at a time, but they hold well. They were flapping a little in the front the first time I used them but after they got wet they became a little stiffer and I don't have problems with the flapping anymore. I like to keep them tucked in my shorts in case I need some protection during a run.

Experience does not make a

Experience does not make a leader, passion does.

Have you thought about a plain old pair of socks? They are the best thing you can get to minimal as possible. Some people paint plasti-dip/neoprene on the soles of their socks too, so you can either try with that added layer or go without it and just use a pair of socks.

Egill, also check out

Egill, also check out willie_g's blog post on his homemade huaraches. They are the bomb diggity. By far the best homemade ones I've ever seen.

Also, don't fret about your inexperience for the Prez position. Zumba and I are the co-chairs in Minnesota, with a combined experience of under two years of barefoot running. But we have one of the biggest and most active memberships because of our passion for the sport.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test