Hello from Lancashire, UK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ultrun, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Ultrun Barefooters

Message Count:
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum and barefoot. I've been moving in a more minimalist direction for a year or so now.

Up to running twice a week in Vivo barefoot 5-10 miles. I've just got some xero shoes and when the weather improves will be moving toward barefoot.

I just need to get over this Achilles tendonopthy...

I'm in the middle of marathon training but tend to be more of an ultra distance runner!

Glad to be on the forum.

Hello again!!

dharmadan, Sid and Sly like this.
  2. Neil_D Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Welcome Ultrarun,
    I think there are a few people on the forum that go for the very long distances. I just don't seem to have the time. Maybe if I ever get the chance to retire I might have the time.

Neil
  3. Frank - Run for life Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Message Count:
    Good Morning Ultrarun

Great to see another member, I would love to do longer distances, I guess its just avalible time for me good luck with the barefooting, I'm just a novice also, I've been running for years and not really had too many issues. Started finding out about barefoot running a couple iof years ago, I use a number of options, Altra "zero drop" as a transition for my long runs, Sockwa G4 and VFF's for medium runs and true barefoot now upto 3 miles.

Frank
  4. Phil Hart Barefooters
    1. North Carolina

Message Count:
    Welcome, Ultrun. I like the name - sounds like a Star Trek villain. Glad to have you with us. I max out at about 10 miles, but it's good to have some of you crazier - I mean, more dedicated - guys here. Enjoy!

dharmadan likes this.
  5. DNEchris Chapter Presidents
    1. New York
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Welcome Ultrun.

Are you running in t'peak or on t'fells?

I think the average Marsden/Edale could be very challenging in Xeros - many bits would be easier barefoot!

6. Ultrun Barefooters

Message Count:
    I tend to run int' fells when I get the chance. I'd love to get to a stage where I could run in the lakes barefoot. I guess that dream will take a long time to realise. The xero shoes would be good on rocky stuff but not much use in the bogs

My name is more through necessity than design, I use Ultrun for my blog (other ultra running combos were taken!)

Phil Hart likes this.
  7. Neil_D Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    I remember when I was younger my parents would take me long walks in the Peak District, some great walks around Kinder Scout and Mam Tor.
    A few years ago when I went back for a holiday I did a barefoot hike around Mam Tor and I got a constant stream of people asking if it hurt my feet. Of course it didn't as it was all spongy peat and nice stone pathways which were beautiful to walk on, I felt a bit sad for all the hikers in their big heavy hiking boots trampling out big grooves over the hills, bare feet are so much more forgiving to the ground.

Neil
    DNEchris and Sid like this.
  8. DNEchris Chapter Presidents
    1. New York
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    I was wondering a while back how viable a barefoot attempt at the Edale Skyline would be. I should think it would be quite possible with the most awkward bit being between Lose Hill and just beyond Hollins Cross - the rest would be easier unshod most of the year!

9. Sid Barefooters

Message Count:
    I feel the same way, when I'm zipping past all the hikers on the local trail.
  10. Neil_D Chapter Presidents

Message Count:
    Hi Chris,
    Where is that route that you mentioned around Edale? If you get the good weather the fell running would be excellent if you can keep off the really stony stuff. I was looking at some of the photos on Google Earth and they really make me want to go on a run around there.

Neil
  11. DNEchris Chapter Presidents
    1. New York
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Here's the route - my variant starts and ends at the Church in Hope and is easier than going down and up Grindsbrook!