Gun Run 10k in 57:41

Robbi

Barefooters
Dec 1, 2011
Cape Town, South Africa
Hey folks, hope you're all having a great weekend!

It's not much in the annals of events, but I haven't run an event since high school, so I thought I'd share. Managed a 57:41 on generally a fast, flat route with pretty foot-friendly surfaces all round. I missed my music (portable players banned now in South Africa) and it was a bit of an inconvenience turning a 7:56 in my first km due to the race start stampede, but overall it was a lot of fun.

I thought I'd see a crop of VFFers running, but I only saw one other minshoe the whole race and not a single barefooter. Of course I caught a Zola Budd comment on my way, but overall didn't seem to get much in the way of a reaction, and not a soul asked me about the run before or after. Kinda weird, maybe I come across as too hardcore or something. I was certainly expecting some kind of inquiry at least!

I'll have to paint my toenails for the next one :) .

Congratulations on your barefoot 10K! I'm guessing that since this is your first event since HS, it's probably also your first barefoot event, so double congrats! There are probably worse things than to be compared to Zola Budd, no? :)

As for painting your toenails, as I've done, I can tell you most folks won't comment on that either (the fun people will), but you sure will get a lot of vertical second glances. The eye pattern seems to be: toes ("His toenails are painted!") to face ("Yes, that's really a dude.") back to toes ("And yes, his toenails ARE painted. What's up with that?"). Kinda fun to see when it happens. Go for something bright!

Congratulations again, Robbi!

Congrats, Robbi!

Nice time, congrats! I'm thinking if I ever race, I'll follow you and JT's example and do 10k to half mary type distances. That seems just about right. The Goldilocks principle I guess.
That's kind of where I am at Lee, only I'll do 5k's too because I do like to push and see just how fast I can push it.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test