Guinness, anyone?

(No, not the beer, the record book.)

In an attack of hubris I wrote in the latest Kondis that next winter, I'll run a half marathon barefoot. More than that, I'll run it in sub-zero temperature. More than that, I'll run it on ice and snow -- and in doing so, I'll be the proud owner of a Guinnes world record.

I even went so far as to send an e-mail to Guinness and stake my claim. But after having run a few kilometers in snow, I realise I'm not quite there yet. I need to train a lot more in the cold. But I don't like cold, not really, I love the feeling of being able to run in snow, but I hate to be cold, to shiver, to loose feeling in my toes.

I'll continue to test my limits, and I'll continue to run barefoot in cold weather -- and colder and colder. But in all likelihood I won't try to run a barefoot half marathon on snow next winter.

But that doesn't mean no-one should. There are runners here who are capable of things like that, I'm quite sure. And it would be nice if a runner had a running record, and not your run-of-the-mill iceman. :coldfeet:

The record is barefoot: you can dress anyway you want as long as you don't wear anything on your feet. And as long as you run on snow, it can be a lot warmer than -15C.

Anyway, I attach the documents I got from Guinness. If anyone wants to give it a try, I'll cheer them on from my couch. Under a blanket. Drinking hot tea.

Attachments

• EvidenceRequired-Oct2013.pdf
    368.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 64447 - athletics, running on ice - fastest half marathon.pdf
    165.5 KB · Views: 5
I've done 10 km, on packed snow at -8°C. The hour long run was about all I think I could do, without encountering frostnip/bite. In Ottawa we have a canal system that turns into an 8 km long skating rink in the winter. I've always wanted to run down the frozen canal barefoot .... I'm sure to get comments. (I'd certainly bundle up the rest of my body)

Do you think running on ice would be more difficult than packed snow? Is ice colder?

Reactions: nisto
Anyway, I attach the documents I got from Guinness. If anyone wants to give it a try, I'll cheer them on from my couch. Under a blanket. Drinking hot tea.

Hahahaha! Good video. Seen it before. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: nisto
Do you think that frostbite is inevitable when you run on snow for two hours?

I believe even the Iceman suffered from frostbite after his 1/2 marathon. Barefoot Rick has done the distance too. Not sure whether it was entirely on snow/ice. My guess is that yes you'll end up with frostbite.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts