Groin pain

Bill B

Barefooters
Dec 28, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Was out for a run last night, all was going well when I got a dull, fairly intense pain in the top inside of my thigh by my groin! Feels like a pulled muscle. Had to walk home, could still feel it in the morning. Thoughts? Thanks!!

Most likely, your lower back is torqued. In my book, Cheating Mother Nature, what you need to know to beat chronic pain, it discusses the idea of pelvic torsion. In runners, body style has quite a bit to do with how we feel when we walk, run and function in all sports (check out my latest blog on Roger Federer and his back pain). If you are getting groin pain, most likely you are under striding on the opposite side and overstriding on the side of the groin pain or pull.

My guess is that you are built asymmetrically and the foot flares out on the side opposite the side of pain. Since this is an inherited trait, it is just how you are built. Why now? Possibly, you are also cross patterned and the lats are bound up in the blades pulling the hip up on the side of groin pain when walking and running. You may be able to work this out with a foam roller (see my video on this here
). If that does not work, find yourself a good sports chiropractor.

It may be useful to you to also read Cheating Mother Nature since you will be able to use it to help yourself understand your body mechanics better and hopefully, you will learn something new. It is available through Amazon.com and can be received instantly on a Kindle device. Again, I hope this helps.

Thanks Doc!!
My foot does flare out, but it is the same side as my injury. Since you mention lats, I do notice that my shoulders and arms get tight while I run, but I attributed that to relaxation or lack of! Back to the foot flare, I notice it when I do a squat, as in lower your butt till it's almost touching the floor, feet flat. you are supposed to be able to sit there like that, with your weight being over the balls of your feet. I can't! I have to hold onto something to keep from falling over backwards. Was told it is due to lack of flexibility in my ankles. My right foot does flare out (that's the side with the injury).
Would physiotherapy help, IMS? Thanks again for your time!! Cheers!

Actually, I think a good sports chiropractor, look for someone who is certified and knows myofascial release.

Groin pain, got it again at the start of summer. Last time change of shoes helped and it didn't come back until now. I have been working with it for two months now and I have found few solutions.

-Barefoot running, helps a bit, but not much. I'm mostly minimalist trail runner...
-Concentrating on pulling stomach in and keeping back straight, helps a bit, but only with faster runs.
-Having camelback octane lr with bladder full of water, helps a lot. It helps a bit having bladder full of air, but it seems that water is better, maybe it supports the back better or additional weight somehow activates some muscles or something, I don't know.

Kinda bizarre cure, but I don't mind as long as it works. ;)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test