Greetings

BigWillyC

Hello all, just thought i'd say hello - zumba invited me over yesterday. I wondered why it was so quiet over at RW! So why did we all jump ship? Here's a video of my latest progress: www.youtube.com/watch wow it's much easier to insert a link like that instead of having to mess around with html code - i'm liking it here already! Any constructive criticism would be much appreciated. Although it feels good and dare i say looks good, what feels like the peroneal tendon in my right foot has been giving me grief for about a month and i can't seem to shake it even with a week long break. I'm hoping it's a form issue so if anyone can spot anything or has had this before i'd be all ears. Anyway it's good to see the community is still live and kicking - for a moment there i thought we'd discussed everything there is to discuss!

Hey BigWilly.  No worries,

Hey BigWilly. No worries, once everything under the sun is discusssed, it will be discussed again at varying levels of alcohol consumption. Should keep things going for a while.

I'll let the real runners come in and advise you. I'm just saying hi.

You haven't tried embedding

You haven't tried embedding photos yet, though, have you?

I can't advise anyone on form. All I can say is if you are running unijured with a smile on your face, then you're doing it right. I hope someone will be able to help resolve your pain issue soon.

Thanks dude i posted on RW

Thanks dude i posted on RW before realising every man and his dog had come over here so i posted here too... I think the pain i'm experiencing could actually be a cycling injury so i'll cut out cycling after my holiday (which will give the tendon time to heal) and report back if there is any improvement.

hey BWC! Glad you made it

hey BWC! Glad you made it over, your video looks awesome! Great form, are you always wearing the huaraches are are you barefoot too? Where are you feeling the pain, up in your ankle or down on your foot?

Thanks for the invite zumba!

Thanks for the invite zumba! I'm always wearing Huaraches now - got a couple of nasty punctures when barefooting that really set me back a few frustrating weeks. What doesn't help much is that as you can see from the video i don't have much body fat and consequently, my soles are just as slim! The Huaraches are just right for me, much better than the VVFs which were giving me all kinds of hot spots and blisters.

The pain i'm experiencing at the moment is just above the bone in my right ankle and down the side of my right foot. I'm convinced it is a result of cycling with spd pedals: When i started to run barefoot i wondered how i was going to get my feet to hit the ground on the outer part first before rolling inward. When i actually got out there i noticed it just happens automatically - natural pronation with shock absorption. This same injury cropped up a while ago and despite stopping running on two occasions for a whole week i just couldn't shake it off. What i didn't factor in was the fact that i was cycling to work and back those weeks as i always do. I never suspected this 'non impact' sport might injure me and besides - i had a pair of cycling shoes and clipless pedals to keep my feet in the optimum position... Except that as we all know, constraining feet is not a good idea at all. Perhaps clipless pedal systems are the motion control trainers of the cycling world. The logic with this injury would be that the leg action in cycling is almost identical to the leg action i'm using to run. The difference lies in the way my foot pronates when running but is unable to pronate when cycling as the shoes are holding the feet rigidly in place. The tendon/muscles that are responsible for this movement are the ones that feel injured to me. I may well be barking up completely the wrong tree here but it makes sense to me. So i've ordered some normal pedals and when the injury has subsided i'll not cycle unless i have to but keep up the running and see if the injury returns. The more i think about it the more i convince myself this is the answer...

Your form looks good

Your form looks good BigWilly!

For those kind of ankle troubles I would massage those area's a lot including the calf higher up above the sore spots. Try doing some balancing exercises on a wobble board or just standing on one leg as a drill.

As for the bike stuff, I guess that could affect your ankle some. Do your clipless pedals have enough float or free travel to move a little. I use mountain bike clipless on my road bike and they have a lot float so its easy get unclipped but it also lets my feet shift some without unclipping.

haha BWC, I'll donate a bit

haha BWC, I'll donate a bit of fat for your feet:p Glad you've found your groove with the huaraches, sounds like a good fit for you. Sounds logical that the lack of natural movement, produced from your pedals may be the culprit. Hopefully the the regular ones help, along with the massaging and ankle stretches Mokie recommended.

mokaman wrote:As for the

mokaman said:
As for the bike stuff, I guess that could affect your ankle some. Do your clipless pedals have enough float or free travel to move a little. I use mountain bike clipless on my road bike and they have a lot float so its easy get unclipped but it also lets my feet shift some without unclipping.

Yeah they have some float so i can twist my feet as if they were hands on a pedal clockface but i can't tilt them sideways like a pronation action even 1mm. I don't think the small surface area of the spd to the shoe is good for me either tho

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmeiners11