Great Trail Run and Major Ouch

LavaRunner

Chapter Presidents
Jun 4, 2010
Last evening I decided it was time to tackle a truly impressive and challenging trail. It is called Sugarloaf Mt and I have hiked portions of the trail and remembered it being Hilly, rocky, rutted, bug infested, bears, sandy and about everything else. I ran the Yellow trail which is called the saddle loop because it loops around the mountain and climbs over a saddle between to 1100 foot peaks. (I laugh at the term peaks used here since I am from Utah)

As I prepared for the run I realized I left my Garmin at home. My first instinct was crap now I can’t run and the thought reapply pissed me off so I threw on the Nathan with the KSOs strapped to it and headed up the trail.

The run started out wonderful, I was barefoot and the first ½ mile was on a road, then I started into the trees and it was course rock, chipped rock and misery. I sucked it up for about another mile but there was no relief and then gave up and put on the KSOs. After that the running became an absolute pleasure. I really had no clue how fast or far I was running, I ran to feel good and enjoy the run and that was all, no benchmarks.

About 30 minutes in I heard a screeching growl sound and turned and this mangy looking raccoon was standing me down. As I moved it would face me and scream at me. It was puny and seemed to not be doing well. I got the heck out of there, the last thing I needed was a bite from a rabid raccoon.

Now the trail turned up the mountain and I knew it was turn back or suck it up and make the whole loop, this was a point of no return. I felt so good that I headed up the hill and made the climb. It was a 400 foot climb, nothing crazy but a real burner over the saddle and the trail became spectacular. Instead of an old fire road it was now a single-track with Boston ferns growing on both sides of the trail. This single-track wound through valleys and trees, it was absolutely stunning on top and several times I had a great view around the Maryland farm areas below.

Then I started down the other side and that is where it got ugly. The trail joined another old overgrown fire road that looked to have suffered a lot of damage and they hauled in ground slag and rock about the size of your fist to sure up the road. For the next 30 minute I was hot footing it over this crap until I thought my feet would scream. When I could, I would run the sides where leafs had filed up and padded the rocks. Then finally the fire road joined a gravel road and that was heaven. After a few minutes the trail took off into the trees again on a single track and this is where I saw the first bear warning sign. WARNING: a Bear and her cub have been sighted on the trail. Do not approach. Yikes, I am almost done, heading back into the woods and now they tell me.

The last 30 minutes was a nice trail of roots, dirt and an occasional rock and I let my guard down. At a creek crossing I came up the other side and stepped on what felt like a knife blade sticking out of the dirt. It was actually only a pointy rick about 2 inches tall covered in leaves but it went right into the pad of my foot between my 2nd and third toe and almost dropped me. The pain was insane and faded after about a minute but then I could feel a lump growing. I ran on but after about 10 minutes it was hurting and thank goodness I saw the end of the trail.

Today my foot is very tender to the tough in the pad area between the toes. I can’t see any visible swelling but to press causes an intense burning sensation and I feel I probably bruised the hell out of the foot there. Not the best way to end and otherwise stunning run.

Sounds like a good run!

Sounds like a good run! (except for that bit at the end) Did did you puncture your foot, or just bruise it? Either way, it sounds painful.

I was also wondering - did you continue down the trail with the bear sign? I would think as long as you're not trying to be quiet, any bears are going to hear you and be long gone before you get there. Running humans are pretty noisy, although barefoot running humans are a lot less so.

We have bears here, and my MIL is freaked out about it. She's staying for a couple weeks helping with the kids and the new baby. She won't go outside after dark, (even to sit around a campfire) and thinks every noise she hears outside is a bear coming to get her. She's also very concerned that we let the kids run around outside. Sad, really.

No puncture and it feels a

No puncture and it feels a little better today. Still stings (best description) when I press on it and I get a shooting nerve pain into the toe. My guess is I bruised the nerve. It will get better. It was a very good run, in fact I felt so good afterwards except the sore feet, that I thought there was no way I just ran 1.5 hours on a brutal trail and feel this good. I am really getting in great shape.

I run pretty quiet, Quiet enough that I scared that raccoon and I have actually run up on deer. If there was a bear and her cub I imagine it would be possible to surprise both of us. When I hike I wear a bell but running I just never really thought about it. When I saw the sign, I was 1/2 way out on the loop, proceeding was the only option although I did make more noise intentionally after reading the sign. I did see a sign at the entrance as I ended the run, guess I should have read it ;)

A gotcha rock had me

A gotcha rock had me screaming at it today that I missed scanning the path in front of me. Not that it did any good but I felt better. They always seem to get you at the worst times or when you least expect them. My wife just shakes her head at me at this point.

I iced it yesterday and again

I iced it yesterday and again today. It still stings a bit and is slightly inflamed. No doubt I gave it a good bruising. Instead of running last night I went out for a nice trail ride on the bike. Same trail I usually run, It is much harder on a bike. Fell twice. And the Poison Ivy, Seems to be some sort of blackberry. When I fell into it it had stickers.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test