Gravely RR

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
Registered at the opening, 6:30 a.m., and was pleased to hear that the fee was $5 less than advertised.
That was tempered by the explanation that they were out of the tech shirts, hence the discount.
Cotton T's I have more than enough of, but for five bucks a really cool tech shirt? I got $crewed, but oh well.
I knew from the website that the first 1/2 mile would be on the harness racing track, so I did my homework.
Turns out a minimalist/barefoot runner who raised his family within minutes of that track and a gal I know who's family used to own and race trotters BOTH assured me that it would be clay/dirt, and not gravel.
Never mind that the runner was our own Sole_Foot, and the gal was none other than my wife, but after straping on my D Chip and bib # and heading towards the starting point/horsetrack I was a little less than thrilled to find that not only was the track gravel, but that the 1/4 mile of parking lot that was the route from the track to the street was LARGE gravel chunks strewn over crumbling asphalt!
As a newbie runner, I'm used to expecting a new PR every time I head out. Once I assesed the surface conditions, my goals changed.
I decided that If I don't leave VISIBLE blood for the onlookers, I'll accept the bruises and other humiliation associated with attempting running barefoot in those conditions.
At the starting line I did not have the confidence I had grown accustomed to when answering the curious, but Sole_Foot reassured me that I would be fine.
At the start I also was spotted by one of the BRS's newest members, who accepted my invite this past Tuesday at the Buffett tailgate. An accomplished master (many first place finishes), he started his transition to BF last year, and is still playing around with it.

At the gun I started out cautiously, but when I felt no pain I picked up the pace a bit. I was so worried about injury that I had to ask myself: "What would Barefoot Ken-Bob do?"
I could still clearly visualize him running on the gravel just this past Monday at his seminar, high cadence /short strides and all, and went for it. It kicked right in,and
I have never passed that many racers in my entire (seven week) running carreer. It felt good!
Exiting the track for the parking lot slowed me down, I really did'nt want to hit a sharp rock on top of blacktop, but after that the rest was the same as always, the running was a challenge, the feet were'nt even an issue.
Ended up only 12 seconds behind my paved PR, and still finished in the first third of my age group.
Sole_Foot and family did fine as well, and to their credit-they did the 10 mile run! (mine was the 5K)

Gravel? No big 'ting Mon!

That's what I keep telling

That's what I keep telling you all :)....the only obstacle is in the mind ;-).

Great report, Board.  Very

Great report, Board. Very well written and interesting. I wish we had some pictures to go with your story. I've never seen gravel on a horse track. How imtimidating, but you pulled through with flying colors. I am so proud of your progress. I LOVE your new avatar.

Thanks T.J., when I was

Thanks T.J., when I was looking on line at today's results I found pics from my 2 miler two weeks ago. At least the photographer realized it was a shot worth taking!

Do you have them to share

Do you have them to share here?

It's a good one though. 

It's a good one though.

Yeah, but sometimes it's

Yeah, but sometimes it's lonely being in front of the pack!

That was the race that deluded me into thinking that I was ready for age group ranking.

I got an education today!

The winner in mens 55-59 did the 5K in 20:23,

#2 clocked in at 20:56,

while #3 posted a relativly slow 21:09.

I'm back to just competing against myself and having a good time in the process.

Oh yeah, being the MOST NOTICED RUNNER out of thousands does have it's benefits as well.

Ah, we are such AWs, aren't

Ah, we are such AWs, aren't we?

Just checked today's results,

Just checked today's results, the new BRS guy I turned on to the site at the Buffett tailgate was in the 50-54 age group, 17:48.6!

He ran it shod, but has been in the transition process.

I probably would have

I probably would have chickened out when I saw the course.

You not only did it, but you did it well!

Nice race LB and thanks again

Nice race LB and thanks again for your hospitality and the cold beverages. It was much needed after driving around on appointments all day. I think that stuff was crushed limestone. I lived there 20+ years and Saturday was the first time I stepped foot in there. I am going to start looking for a trail race for us. Have fun out there.

I always train for barefoot

I always train for barefoot walking/hiking on our local rails to trails path, and find the crushed limestone very helpful. But it's over dirt, and WAY different than the track was. The track stuff wasn't pea gravel, but was similar in size and very deep, no trace of the surface under it was seen or felt. It was actually very easy.

My gravel walking has slacked off since I started regular running, I think I will make sure I keep it up though. You never know when it will come in handy.

http://www.runmichigan.com/ph

http://www.runmichigan.com/photogallery/10/solsticefinish_062610_window.php?1543

They just posted the pictures on-line.

Looks like I beat some women and children to the finish line!

I still can't figure out how to get the picture here instead of just the link,

it's about time for me to learn how.

I also should learn to smile for the camera, I is a denis't after all!

Good work Longboard!  If you

Good work Longboard! If you and sole_foot decide on a trail race, let me know. I'm feeling pretty well rested at the moment and would love a chance to get out on the trails more.

I've never run on a trail,

I've never run on a trail, Sole_Foot says I've got to try it.

I do worry a bit about hidden hazzards, but then again it's also probably less risky than it sounds, just like the city streets are.

Nice report LB.  I've been

Nice report LB. I've been avoiding gravel for 3 years now, but after Ken Bob's workshop, I'm determined to make gravel my friend and teacher.