Go represent!

Nyal

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
In the comments section. My offering: I am a barefoot runner and I understand the concerns. May I add a few things?1. It will not take you 3 to 4 weeks to complete the transition. It will take you much, much longer. I am working my way up to my old distance of 6 miles. I am 4 months in and will finish the process in August. That’s the bad news. The good news is you only have to do this once, barring you leave running for years or something. I am up to 3.3 miles again.

2. It is possible to run on many more surfaces than you might think. I run about a third on asphalt, a third on gravel roads, and a third on trails. Your foot and all its good bits will be able to handle them all, WITH proper form and lots of patience. Most everything I run on feels very good to the touch, especially mud. Gravel roads, however, are trickier.

3. Many claim barefoot running is better for you and will cure or prevent injuries. I suspect this is anecdotal, but consider that A. your feet will hurt if you are doing something wrong and tell you how to fix the problem B. you will learn to REST and listen to your body in ways you never have before. Patience will direct your efforts. c. You will be focused on proper form that always helps. I don’t know about all the studies, but many suggest good things. I have been able to shake a severe splint from this winter.

4. Barefoot running is a whole different sport than regular shod running. It is different in so many ways, has such different goals, unique rewards, and a brilliant outlook. I fell in love with running again after 10 years and will not go back to using shoes.

5. I lied, I am going to put shoes on this winter. I don’t live in the tropics, I live in Norway. We have winter here. I will be using floppy minimalist shoes in the snow. Oddly enough, BFR are obsessed with shoes, finding the right sandal or VFF or water shoe. Barefooting about learning to run better, funner, and challenging yourself.

If you try it, you may also agree. http://mizfitonline.com/2010/06/30/barefoot-running-2/#comments

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS