Go Green St. Patrick's Day 10k

5t3ph4n13

Barefooters
Jan 29, 2012
I ran the Go Green St. Patrick's Day 10k in Los Gatos, California yesterday.

It was a slightly chilly morning and my feet felt a little numb as I walked up the road to the packet pickup area. I picked up my race number and shirt and walked around to warm up my feet. The line for the bathrooms was long, so I jogged up the hill adjacent to the starting line and looked for... a bush of some kind. I didn't find any that were suitably secluded so I jogged back down the hill and waited in line. I considered getting my flip-flops out of my car to enter the Port-a-Potty but reasoned that: 1) I didn't have enough time to go back to my car and 2) Really, is a Port-a-Potty floor that had just been placed there that morning that much potentially hazardous than the sidewalks and streets I have run on before? Probably not. So yes... I was barefoot in a Port-a-Potty.

Anyway, on to the race. I lined up and waited for the race to start. There was a sea of green shirts, tutus, hats, and even a guy wearing the Irish flag as a cape. We started off slightly crowded but that was completely a non-issue by the 1/2 mile mark. We were running on the paved roads of Vasona Lake Park and soon were on the surrounding streets, which were relatively smooth and not a problem at all for my soles. A few people commented amongst themselves at my bare feet but no one came up to ask me about it. The first four miles were mostly a gently downhill and the last 2.2 were a slight uphill. Not a tough course from a hill standpoint, which is probably why I was able to pull a personal best time of 56:54. I was elated to find that out after crossing the line with a time of 1:07:15, not realizing that the clock was from the start of the Half that was running the same day and had started 10 minutes before the 10k.

A woman taking the timing chip ankle straps at the finish line asked if my feet were Ok. I gave her an enthusiastic "Yep!" and picked up my awesome medal and headed home.

I don't have any race pictures to share because I look like I am having a serious, possibly heart-attack inducing time and not a fun time, which it was.

Copied from my blog, here: http://barefootstephanie.blogspot.com/2013/03/barefoot-in-port-potty-10k-race-report.html

Reactions: dutchie53
Great job Stephanie and congrats on the PR!
WE well me need to see those pics. I like seeying pics...please?

i go bf in porta pottys all the time. there's usually grass if you step in poop and urine is sterile. hell, you can tell people your trying to kill off your athletes foot.

Reactions: paraganek