Reviewed By: talonraid

picture-5191.jpg

Date Reviewed: 03/27/2011
Review Type: Race
Barefoot Friendliness: 3 Average

13102 Jones Maltsberger Rd
San Antonio, TX
See map: Google Maps

This was a 5k race or option for a 10k by completing the same loop a second time. Proceeds went to fight colon cancer.

The course starts out on one of the park roads which is chip and seal asphalt, but wasn't too rough and then loops back. At about the 2 mile point it breaks off of the road and enters one of the paved trails that cuts through the woods. I don't know what the trail is made of, but it's a very rough type of chipped rock with a sealant on it. This gave me some trouble and I had to slow my pace way down. I carried my VFFs to use as bail out shoes, but was able to gut it out. I could not have done another mile on that trail at my current stage of barefoot conditioning. The trail finally comes out of the trees after about a mile and then it's only a few hundred yards or so to the finish line down some more chip and seal asphalt on the park road. Overall, it wasn't too bad.

The race was well organized, and timed via a chip in the bib so no need to worry about ankle bracelets or figuring out some way to strap a chip to your leg. The announcer asked all walkers to wait until after the runners had cleared the chute and for the most part people did so, but there are always a few of "those people" who still started at the beginning walking and inevidably walked 3 or 4 abreast so you had to try and dodge around them. Other than that the swag t-shirt was a technical shirt and there was plenty of free stuff being given away at the end of the race....but no beer. I was not a happy dude that there was no beer. Anyway, still a well done event and I would probably run this one again.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts