Full Moon + Trails

Shacky

Barefooters
Jun 2, 2010
A few of us have decided to start doing some trail runs whenever there is a full moon present and last night was the first of what will hopefully be many.

I showed up with my huaraches and a newly purchased headlamp and raring to go. So much so that I misread the start time and got there an hour early. Luckily I always try to keep a book in my trunk for instances such as this.

Two women showed up to join me. Both of them had batteries that were semi-dead so I ended up being the main light source which was perfectly fine. A good looking woman running in front of me and another right on my tail...what's not to like???

I've run this trail barefoot quite a few times but there are still a few hazards that one needs to be careful of and so we took it fairly slow, often rotating postitions since the lead person had the priveledge of busting through all the spiderwebs.

The moon was fairly bright but oftentimes hidden behind the hills due to how low it was on the horizen and so we were reliant on the headlamps more then we had anticipated. This forced us to run fairly close to one another with the lead person calling out all the hazards and slowing down to point them out with their light until the rest was aware of them.

On the way back the laces to my huaraches broke and I ended up running the last ~2 miles barefoot. My only concern at this point were the scorpions. I haven't seen one since I was a kid but this night they were all over the place. At first I'd slow down and try to shoo them off the trail but there ended up being too many of them and so I'd just yell out whenever I spotted one and hope the ladies would spot them as well. At least they had shoes on.

Total distance covered was a bit under 8 miles. No one got injured or lost and we all agreed that this was one of the better runs any had done. I personally can not wait until the next full moon.

Very cool, reminds me of my

Very cool, reminds me of my days of moonlight backcountry snowboarding. Scorpions, now there is a new threat to barefooters.

"A good looking woman

"A good looking woman running in front of me and another right on my tail...what's not to like???"

The problem I see here is that I would trip myself because the light would rarely, if ever, fall upon the trail ;)

I love to cross country ski

I love to cross country ski by moonlight.

On those rare nights when everything is just right, It's an amazing feeling to be able to fly through the woods without a care in the world. At times it feels almost primal... even spiritual. Regardless, it's always a blast.

I'll have to do a full moon run at some point. If it compares at all to skiing, I am so sure it is worth it - scorpions, spiders, and all.

S. Pimp.