From trails back to pavement = recipe for disaster ??

Swoggis, when you're ready

Swoggis, when you're ready for a bit of a trail run we can go out at lunchtime in Princeton. I can find you some soft ones that will be nice and diverse and entertain your muscles without overstressing them.

Almost there. Will take you

Almost there. Will take you up on that next month. I took 10 days off after the 5k race and the painful spot on my left fib was gone by the 2nd day, so I no longer think it's a stress fracture. On the advice of my chiropractor, picked up some nice, supportive, cushy shoes (Merrell Trail Gloves - which compared to bare feet and my VFF Bikilas are all of the above) and did 1.5 miles on the treadmill. And then when that didn't seem to re-aggravate anything, did a 50:50 5K on squishy trails and asphalt the other day. I've still got a lot of tension in my lower legs, but running in the Trail Gloves seems to hit different spots. Going to try for an easy 3-4 miles on the D&R tomorrow night (assuming we're not getting lashed by hail and lightning) and then throw a barefoot run around the track later in the week just to keep up the muscle confusion. We'll see how far I can get on the hypothesis that 1) I need to ease more gradually into my training this year coming back from the stress fracture and 2) that repetitive stress is what did me in last year, so I should vary my footwear and running surfaces more this season to spread the damage around (and maybe just take every 4th week off from running to let things 'reset').

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts