From 0k to 43k mountain marathon in a year

Line Kolbe

Barefooters
Jul 23, 2013
Sweden
This is my plan! :D
I wanna do this run next year: http://fjallmaraton.se/
August 2014.

So I plan to use this thread to update on my progress.

As many of you already know I started running in my VFF some weeks ago.
Love at first run!
Then after all your warnings I still did too much.
The status right now is that I can't run, because if I do my feet hurts. So I'll have to rest until they're good again, and then start over once more. I can still walk and I do that. I also do a lot of other stuff (I'm preparing for a athletic fitness competition the 24th of Nov) so I get my workouts in.

I'm aware that I might not be able to do this in one year, if my feet quite simply wont. Then I'll have to do it in 2015, or 2016.. I'm ok with that.

My first goal is to build the running up slowly again. First goal: 5k without pain in my feet.

Thank you.

I did one of my walks yesterday and it felt good. I actually tried to run very carefully a little. I had my old normal running shoes on. That also felt good. I'm not more sore in my feet today than yesterday. They didn't get better by it and not worse either. So not ready for that yet. I don't want to do stuff that halts the recovery process so I wont try that again until earliest Monday (that gives me 4 days of rest) and then we'll see how it goes then. If I can do it and still get better and better I'll know I didn't do too much.

Just found this trail ultra run I wanna do way in the future.. like 2015/16
The page is Danish, but google translate it.. http://ultrarun.com/winforce-100-km/
It's a 100k in Denmark on sand beach, stone beach, forest trails and as little asphalt as possible, and even though Denmark can be flat this run involves 2175 height meters

The registration for the mountain marathon starts today and it's limited and there's a risk it will be full booked very very fast. And I'm not at home by the computer the time the registration opens.
I'm all nervous that I wont make it in time..
If I don't make it there's another option: "Open Trail" as it's called, is a run on the exact same track the week before the real race. It's for those that didn't get a spot in the real race and for those who are not sure they can get through it or think they need more time. A sort of test run.

I'll update later today how it goes with the registration... :)

:( no more spots in the run. Full booked in an hour and I was home too late.
"Open Trail" it is.. they open the registration for that one in a week..

Open trail means that you can start somewhere between 7 and 9 am and in that way give yourself two more hours, if you think you need them, to get to a point at halfway you have to reach before 2.30 pm.

The date for this is the 2nd of August 2014.

Reactions: Sid
Enjoy the pressure-free run! You'll have more chance to enjoy the scenery this way :)

Thank you Chris. I have a feeling this was meant to be :)

A little update on how it all goes:
I've been easily starting to run a bit again. I did a 5k "walk/run" (walked half of it) Saturday last week where it went great and didn't hurt, and then I did the same Monday this week (with just Sunday as a rest day between) and it hurt again.. So I know what I can, if I rest enough afterwards before doing it again. That's the way I understand it anyway... It was ok, but not ok to do it that soon again.

Ok so... I didn't run more last week. Rested to today, Monday, where did a run in my old normal running shoes.
It went great. No issues with the foot.
I also did a walk in my vff and that went great too.

I can walk in the vff and I can run in my shoes but I want to run in my vff...

So I have this plan. To get from walking to running in the vff I thought of this: I have a short route at 3 km. I plan to walk 2.5 km and then run the last 500 meters home. If it feels good I'll do it again after some rest days and keep it at this for some weeks. Then when it feels as if I can up it a bit I can walk 2 km and run 1 km. If it feels good stay at that for some weeks. Then walk 1.5 km and run 1.5 km... and so on. Then when I'm up at the 3 km I can find a longer route but keep upping it ½ a km at a time.
Sounds good?

At the same time I don't think I can keep myself from some occasionally runs in my old shoes..

The plan with walking and then running the last little bit of the run is going great.
I've now done it twice this week and my feet and legs, well all of me, feel really good.

There are ca 11 months to the run now. I do think I can do it. Get ready in time. It all depends on me listening to my body and still do as much as I can do. Rest enough (NOT run every day) and keep increasing the mileage and time on my feet, both walking and running.

Reactions: DNEchris
Time for an update here again. 9 months to the run.

It's going great. The first goal I sat was run a 5K without pain is achieved.
The only pain I experience now is in the muscles (in my calves) from about 7 km and up from there.

I just did a half marathon yesterday and I have no issues with tofp anymore. :D

I've made a plan that will increase my long runs by 3 km a month. So start of this month I did 21 km, then start of next month I'll be at 24 km and so on.

What are you doing to heal the pain in your feet? What is the diagnosis? Have you seen a doctor?