First Sub-Freezing Barefoot Run

txtenderfoot

Barefooters
Oct 15, 2010
25 degrees, F, this morning in Denton when I went out for my run. Well, it wasn't so much of a run as an experiment. I wanted to see what this kind of cold felt like, so I went out and walked around for a little bit, then ran two quick sprints up my driveway, about a quarter mile total. In my pajamas :). Kudos to my bf brothers and sisters up north who do real runs in freezing temps on a regular basis! You are tougher than you probably realize.

Congrats, Tex! So how did you

Congrats, Tex! So how did you like it?

Although it was cold, with

Although it was cold, with an 8 mph wind out of the north, the humidity was really low so it didn't feel so bad. I think my feet were pretty numb. So the conditions were perfect to try it out :).

Don't think I'll be looking to leave the sunny south anytime soon, just based on this one experience!

Tex,I ran in snow flurries

Tex,

I ran in snow flurries today and I live in FL, so I'm not used to the cold either! Here is what I'm using as a guide for running in the winter and so far it's worked great for me. It's from Barefoot Ken Bob in case you doubt it. :)

As I was going to say, and

As I was going to say, and the graph in the link puts most succinctly, One gets used to it. Dressing appropriately helps .

I'm suprised t how the cold is now normal for me. Tomorrow I get to do snow and cold together for the first time. We'll have a new foot or more by morning and a low of 17 degrees . A new "normal' awaits me.

HumEx, I get a "Not Found"

HumEx, I get a "Not Found" message when I try your link. Sounds interesting though. I'll go back and try to search it. Heather, thank you for the link, that was very helpful information. Started following the advice immediately, pulling off my nice warm LL Bean Shearling Slippers as I sit in front of the computer. Feet are now on that cold wood floor . . .

Chad, I'm a native Tennessean (Memphis area) and still remember the record 12 inch snowstorm we got (I think in March?). But those cold cold days were few and far between. And JT, 17 degrees and lots of snow, wow!

I think I'm going to adapt

I think I'm going to adapt other's advice and wear socks over my VFF's just to keep the snow from falling in around my ankles. The winds are supposed to stay at 18 to 25 all day, but the gusts over 45 should diminish by noon. I will wait.

I read about CIVD today

I read about CIVD today http://societyforbarefootliving.wordpress.com/2009/12/30/ive-got-civd/ It was not something I was familar with. Certainly fits in with this topic.........

http://societyforbarefootliving.wordpress.com/2009/12/30/ive-got-civd/ The blog it came from has a guy hiking in snow barefoot comfortably. Assuming you expose yourself to the cold in a safe manner barefoot. I would anticipate it is mostly a mental game with some physical training needed as you would any new activity.

I mostly have to deal with rain. It's not terribly cold where I live. The body will adapt to whatever your environment.

HumEx, that link worked like

HumEx, that link worked like a charm. Like the person who commented on this, I also saw a TV show that mentioned vasodillation. I think it was on the Discovery Channel, it was a program about the extremes people can condition their bodies to. The CIVD example was Steve Smith, a Navy SEAL instructor (who has a couple of fitness books on the market). They dunked him in a tub of ice water for about an hour and he was able to keep his core temperature high. They did all kinds of IF imagery and had thermistors in him - nifty stuff. SEALs train themselves for this in numerous ways, from early morning pool exercises in cold water to laying in the pounding surf for long periods of time. Interesting side note, on the program, Mr. Smith was able to navigate an obstacle course, assemble a sidearm, enter a simulated attack situation, and shoot an adversary right between the eyes in faster time after his dunking than before. It was pretty incredible!

I'll be wearing a pair of

I'll be wearing a pair of Fischer RCS skis with blue special wax when I venture into Central Park soon.

I love to run but I live to ski cross-country! :bigsmile:

I have Raynaud's so getting

I have Raynaud's so getting them used to the cold hasn't happened.

However, I have mentioned in another post that what works for me to be as minimal as possible is this;

I put on some thick socks and tape a pocket heater pack to the top of the toe area and put on

aqua shoes which I have taken the insoles out of. This makes them really thin. I have fairly good ground feel and my feet

stay warm enough to run for quite a while.

I have tried what they suggest - I make sure my core is almost too warm and have found the initial cold I feel on the bottom of my feet seems to disipate and the warmers on my toes keep them safe.

Chris, how awesome for you! 

Chris, how awesome for you! That is so cool!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test