First Half Marathon - San Diego RnR

HalfofJess

Barefooters
Jun 5, 2010
Ran my first Half Marathon ever yesterday (and in VFFs) at the San Diego Rock 'n Roll. Finished in 2:47:20. You can read my race recap here.

Anyway, saw quite a few, at least 6 or 7, people sporting VFFs, a guy fully barefoot and another barefoot but holding huaraches.

Guy holding huaraches, I thought about you every time I wanted to give up. Thanks for inspiring me.

I'm going to train more diligently barefoot. Haven't been doing as much of it as I'd like to.

Congrats to you!  Always like

Congrats to you! Always like to hear about more and more people running barefoot and minimal. Gives me a warm-n-fuzzy all over.

Congrats on your half! I've

Congrats on your half! I've signed up for a 5k in SD in August. Will be my first race and I'm very excited about it.

Congrats on your first 1/2

Congrats on your first 1/2 marathon. Running it in Vibrams makes it so much cooler. AFC is next, right? We may have to get a little meetup going beforehand if enough of us are running it.

Nice to see another local into the natural running thing. I was going to bandit it but then decided I didn't want to deal with the crowds and took the dog to La Jolla Shores for a run instead.

That's a great report and thanks for sharing it.

Awesome job Jess! The half is

Awesome job Jess! The half is a great distance isn't it? They're addicting, watch out! :p

Great job!! And great race

woohoo2.gif

Great job!! And great race report.

Nice job!   I have a half

Nice job!

I have a half coming up soon, last year I ran it shod this year barefoot. My time last year was 1:47:10 that is around a 8:15 pace. I would like to beat that barefoot, but we will see.

If I can hold a 8:30 pace I will be happy.

Thanks for the support

Thanks for the support guys!

I signed up for my first full yesterday. Will be running the SunTrust Richmond Full in November!

@shacky - I'm moving to DC in August to go to law school so NO :( No AFC. I'm bummed. Wanted to run that Half.

@BF TJ - It makes me warm and fuzzy seeing barefoot and VFF runners because most of them are so FAST and nimble and...awesome! It just inspires me and I know I can do it if they can.

@Cali Girl - Have fun with your first race! Is it your first race EVER or first race shod-free? Races in general are addicting so watch out!

@Zumba - Definitely addicting. Half is a good distance but with that done, gotta aim for the full 26.2. Surprisingly, I'm all recovered today. Think I'm gonna go for a recovery walk and maybe a jog.

@Adam - Well, my goal is to run ONE mile under 8:30 so the fact that you can hold an 8:15 pace for 13.1 miles is incredible :) Keep it up! Can't wait to hear about your Half report. Have fun barefoot! I'll be thinking of you when I need that extra motivation.

Nice on registering for the

Nice on registering for the full! I ran my first marathon on May 2nd, it was awesome. I thought I loved the half distance, but the full is the way to go, really like that distance.

I want to run my second in October but life is getting busy right now, expecting our second child in July, so I will see how my training goes. Training for a marathon is time consuming, especially the long runs on the weekend. I will see what I can manage.

Aw, congrats on the pending

Aw, congrats on the pending birth, Adam. How old is your first?

Big Congratulations to you on

Big Congratulations to you on the Half and the Nov Full, 1/2 Jess! Train intelligently for Nov and it'll be fun. A full is approximately three times longer than a half...

And more big Congrats to Adam and bringing another little Barefooter into the world :D

PS - This Sunday, I might be the guy holding the Huaraches in the hand ;-)

Coincidence, both of mine are

Coincidence, both of mine are boys. Our first is now almost 8, and our second is almost 4. Our oldest was 4 when our youngest was born. It's a nice age stretch. It's like you get to do it all over again!

Well, a day after we brought

Well, a day after we brought our new born home from the hospital, our oldest says, "I don't want him no more. Take him back." I think by now my little one has grown on my bigger one, but boy do they love to fight over toys.

HalfofJess, this will be my

HalfofJess, this will be my first race ever. I just started running in March.

Adam, congrats on the pending birth of your second son!

@Cali Girl - Have fun!For

@Cali Girl - Have fun!

For some reason, that comment about bringing the baby back to the hospital cracked me up. Baby no fun no mo'. No want.

Anyway, I'd definitely say enjoy the baby and if you can squeeze in a marathon, great! If not, what's the rush? You can always 1/2 anyway.

So question for you BF runners with kids...what do your kids say about your BF habits? I want to breed a clan of BF children. That would be awesome.