Fellowship of the Morton's Toe

Whew, am I tired now. I just read through this entire thread!

I am in the club, but after three years of running barefoot, I am having way less problems with this. My problems at the beginning were the callous forming over the 2meta, a feeling every once in a while like I was stepping on a rock at the point of the 2meta, a feeling like the top of the 2meta was grinding into the ground or like it was going to poke right through the skin. AND, biggest of all, really hurt when I ran on asphalt. It felt like the 2meta bone was just poking into all the nooks and crannies of the asphalt. I read about this issue on this forum a couple of years ago and worked on some stuff in my form.

Things that have improved after 3 years of BF running: 1. The pads on the balls of my feet have become thick and puffy and that has helped a bit. 2. I have learned to land on my entire foot while running on asphalt. I still have more of the weight on the metapad. It's a kind of maybe 70/30 distribution between mid-forefoot and heel. I pick my feet up. I land very gently and imagine my feet just being squishballs.

I NEVER thought I would be running on asphalt. So far I have about 3/4 mile of asphalt included in a 3 mile run and feel very comfortable. I plan to be increasing the amount of asphalt as I am training for the Disney 1/2 marathon.

(Actually, am not "running" but 15 min/mil power walking due to having torn my meniscus doing leap frogs in Kung Fu and being on the mend. But that's ANOTHER story)

I don't know what will happen as mileage increases, but I am very optimistic.

One very weird thing: My second toe is now permanently curled. The weird thing is that this happened since I have become a much more barefoot person. Not only do I run barefoot, but I go barefoot in the house and yard, and wear sandals out until it gets so cold that I have to use a pair of UGGs to go out on errands.

So, I would have thought that the curled toe thing would happen had my feet been enclosed in ill-fitting shoes.

Here is an interesting thing that I think may have happened. When I was running, I may have been curling that toe protectively to take pressure off the 2meta head. When I press down on the bent part of the toe and force it to straighten, the meta head digs into the ground. It may be this compensation developed and now the toe is permanently bent. It doesn't really bother me and the bent toe does not seem to be causing any problems running, but is a problem those few times I need to be wearing shoes. It rubs on the top of the shoe.

Just thought I'd put my experience out here to be included with the many MT-sorts of things that can happen among MT folk.

That is odd about the curled toe. I would think a toe being left free would stay straight or straighten out. Perhaps it was an adaptation you were making to your gait and not knowing it.

Hi, new member here, I've known about my Morton's toes all my life, but never had any trouble with them until a few years ago. They don't really hurt or anything, and I can even run bf on asphalt without trouble although my longest run ever has only been a 5k. (only started running at all this past spring, and started barefoot so spent a lot of time in toughening up the feet) My trouble is that the joint at the 2nd metatarsal head seems to have separated! I used to be able to curl all my toes, but now I can't; and when I try, and feel the joint, I can feel a big gap. It's rather scary but as it doesn't hurt unless my dog steps on my feet, I haven't worried about it. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Currently not running due to suspected stress fracture in 4th or 5th metatarsal, which may have a partial relationship to my Morton's Toes according to this lengthy thread. Also, horrid bunions, which are hereditary, unfortunately for me! It's all bad news for my feet but I am firmly of the opinion that strengthening my feet will help. And thanks to Nyal for saying that a couple years into this (when I can run again) WILL help!

Welcome, Stub! Love the doggie!

I've never heard of separated joints due to MT, although I imagine it could happen. If it doesn't bother you, I guess you could put it to the back of your mind, but don't forget about it. How long have you been out due to the 4/5 stress fracture?

Thanks TJ! His name is Gus, he's my bud. :)

I should probably have said, the joint separated a couple years ago, long before I even thought about running. I walk dogs for a living though so am on my feet a lot throughout the day. I've thought about seeing a doctor but really, what would they do besides offer me surgery??

I've been off running for about 7 weeks now but the original injury to the 4/5 metatarsals occurred while hiking/running in sandals in the woods on a camping trip, when I violently twisted the front part of my foot on a hidden root. So at first I kept going out for 2-3 mile runs every time it stopped hurting for a day. Last week I did almost 3 miles of hills with my cousin, and that caused my foot deep pain and swelling for a few days, so I've (finally!) decided to get smart and not run for at least 8 weeks to give it a chance to truly heal.

Gus looks like he's full of personality. Loves him!

Thanks for letting me join the club! As I share some Scandinavian ancestry I gave myself the nickname Erik The Red before reading through the threads and realizing there was a viking theme and that one already existed. Perhaps you could re-name me Erik The Impatient?

Many thanks for whomever put this group together. I have been sullenly searching the web for months trying to figure out why the base of my second met was sore after a few months of bfr. After reading through all the threads it seems like I landed in the right place.

A visit to the Podiatrist and some x-rays showed that though my first and second toes are about the same length, my second mets are in fact longer than the first. I stopped running altogether for a few months and have recently started back up again. Several runs in I started noticing discomfort in the same general area again though slightly milder and more towards the bottom of the ball of the foot than before. I'm hoping it's just a bruise from landing on a crack in the pavement. Lots of good advice here I plan on heeding once the discomfort has disappeared.

Nyal, I was very excited to see the images of your home made met orthotic on page 4 and was eager to try it. Later on in the thread I noticed you made a comment which led me to believe you have given up on them. If this is true, what was the reason? Did they not work for you?

Love the baby! Nyal doesn't post here much, but I had been in contact with him still. Please feel free to PM him through this site to reach him. He won't mind. Welcome!

Well, I'm definitely blessed with MT. I've been running barefoot style but with shoes because my feet were getting trashed otherwise. I just discovered what MT is and I'm shocked! All this time I thought I had special feet, (not deformed feet). That said, I have experienced most of the side-affects of MT and I haven't felt the bottom of either big toe in probably 13 years. Finally I have been brought back down to Earth and the numbness is making sense. For those who may be looking for shoes, I have been running in Merrell Barefoot Access with no problems. I can't wait to see how the toe pad helps!

Attachments

• foot pic.JPG
    foot pic.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to the club, Tracy!

Thanks! Funny thing, I decided to try the Brooks Drifts to see if it would help me to increase the mileage I could run before my feet turn into hamburger. I got'm last night, added the toe pad, laced for my funky feet and went for a 6 miler. It was night but that usually doesn't matter. I was running better than ever and at 4 miles I caught the edge of a sidewalk and rolled my left ankle and had to walk the last 2 miles on it... 5 days before a half-marathon! I am so bummed. That said, I love the shoes.

That's a bummer about the half. I got PF once, really severe, when I was a shoddie, the day before I had a half, but for some reason, the next morning I was fine to go. Strange stuff. The PF lasted about three months, but I made it through that half without any problems.

I'm surprised you like the Brooks Drifts. They look like toned-down Sketchers toning shoes. Glad you are liking them though. We have to find what works best for each of us individually.

I'm guessing you are icing and resting that ankle. No need in really running this last week before a half anyway. Heal quickly!

I know. I know. I was being...gentle. Hee.

Well, I started barefoot but like I said, my feet were getting trashed. I have been slowly adding more shoe to be able to run distance. The Merrell barefoot access got me through the first 1/2 marathon, but barely and I want to do a marathon. With tying mods and the toe pad, the Drift may allow me to make it. I didn't want this because I've spent over $500 on shoes that all have mileage limitations. Believe me, If i could, I would be barefoot. I am going to make the barefoot toe pad i saw in this thread and see if I can go back to bare.

woops! sorry Tracy. did the shoes trash our feet or the distance? i always ask people, "what's the big hurry?"

take your time and build up so you don't get trashed from the distance. i have added some met pads to my huaraches to help build a transverse arch. i also do calf raises and another exercise hard to explain to strengthen my tibialis posterior. it's the muscle responsible for supporting your arch. google it. i did and some good exercises came up on youtube. with time your feet will spread and hopefully reshape to a proper tri-stance. calcaneus, first met, and fifth met.

Tracy, lots of people with MT can run barefoot. Perhaps you can too. Perhaps not. But if you give up too early, you will never know. Like Mike says, there's no hurry. Take your time. Do the research. Do the experiments, and try different things to see what works for you. You know, this would be a good question to ask in our Ask the Docs forum. "If I have Morton's Toe and difficulty running barefoot, possibly due to having MT, what can I do, how can I overcome this limitation to become a barefoot runner without pain?" Would you mind asking them, Tracy? I'm curious to know what they would say.

What happens is that after a certain distance, (depending on the shoes or in this case no shoes) the area under my metatarsals goes numb and starts the pin cushion affect. As far as the muscles are concerned, no problems with the feet or legs.

I think I have MT too. I seem to pass the "bend the joints" test. Look at my profile pic to the left.

I have run 1.3 miles barefoot, and I have had the pain on the 2nd toe, at the end. The toe curls and the nail nearly touches the ground.

What else do I need to do?