Feeling like a bit of a hypocrite

Horseman42

Chapter Presidents
Sep 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario
So I'm preparing for another BF run today.

I'm inspecting my running apparel shorts with Nike logo, Tank top made by Adidas, Hat and fuel belt with running room logo. I feel like an avertisement for shoes yet am not wearing any. Mind you I've been a runner for a really long time and most of my clothing date back to when I wore shoes.

Anyone else feel cognitive dissonance in running with pro shoe logos on their clothing?

Soon BRS branded products

Soon BRS branded products will become available, until then

Oakly and Speedo offer some alternatives!

When I buy workout clothes I

When I buy workout clothes I do feel that way. I often get the generic version, or unlabeled clothes from those manufacturers. If there is a big logo, I skip it even if it is a great deal.

Odd, I didn't really think about it from the shoe persepctive, more from the general advertising perspective.

As a cheap-ass runner, I tend

As a cheap-ass runner, I tend to wear things like teeshirts from races, and stuff that isn't promoting a running company. (though, now that I think of it, some of the races are sponsored by shoe stores). I find it ironic that clothes that promote business entities generally are more expensive than clothes without advertizing on them.

I had that same epiphany last

I had that same epiphany last winter standing in Kohls looking at NIKE running tights, so I bought the generic brand that Kohls sells right next to the name brand stuff. It has held up just as well as the "shoe brand" gear that is supposed to be superior, and it costs about half the price!

I've always prefered

I've always prefered logo-less attire, and only will wear ones if the logo is barely noticable.

Some people think I just don't want to pay for the "designer" product, but same with regular shirts and jeans,

I would rather pay more to have the logo deleted!

My favorite tech tank was made by Speedo but discontinued, and my wife found some on closeout at a discount chain.

Fortunatly the logo is so subtle you have to look for it.

I've been this way as far back as I can remember, even when I wore Polo type shirts I only wanted ones without the logo.

My Grandma in law once gave me THREE real Ralph Loren shirts for my birthday, but I exchanged them for logo-less knock-offs. I just feel stupid being an un-paid billboard promoting a for-profit company!

As for me, no, I don't feel

As for me, no, I don't feel like a hypocrite wearing Nike or Adidas running clothing. The running clothes themselves are a part of the companies' product lines, and I don't think they are simply shoe advertisements.

For example, I love my black Nike running hat because it's a fantastic, functional running hat. It does a great job of keeping the sun and rain out of my eyes while not being hot. The Nike shelf-bra tanks fit me very well, so I'll pick one up when I see them on sale at Dicks.

I don't care about logos as

I don't care about logos as long as the product is actually good. Nike makes such a vast array of clothes, some of which are complete crap, some of which are really quite sharp looking. Especially for women.

What I hate is when the product is a piece of crap but it's plastered with a giant logo. In fact there seems to be an inverse relationship between the size of the logo art and the quality of the piece. If you see a logo bigger than a foot wide, you know it's on a cotton shirt that will fit no one at all.

I'm a fan of Sporthill gear, a bit pricey sometimes but really well made for actually being outside and moving around as opposed to just looking like it. I'll wear that until I get the courage to take off my shirt. Or I can find that Venus and Serena Williams stuff.

images

I swear it's for my spouse. Really.

I'll wear anything that

I'll wear anything that serves it's purpose. Given the option though, if I have two products that work equally well I'll pick the one without the logo.

Yeah, I have a bunch of Nike

Yeah, I have a bunch of Nike stuff and it doesn't bother me. They have the best technical tees and other gear that I've yet found. I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a brand of clothing that works for you.

Also, I think we're going to find Nike taking the lead in the minimalist shoe movement in the coming years. Then it will all work out...right? :party:

This is a great topic.  I

This is a great topic. I know exactly what you mean. I don't particulary care for any logo clothing. I even took a black marker and darkened out the Swoosh on a pair of black Nike running pants I have. I do feel a bit odd wearing clothing that has a logo that represents a company who markets boat anchors, especially while I am running barefoot.

With that said, we have to realize that we are runners who may not always need shoes but do always need clothing (trust me on this), and some of that clothing just happens to come from companies who also happen to make shoes. Once many of these companies start incorporating more minimalist footwear into their collections, as they slowly are starting to (Nike, New Balance, etc.) then those of us who "hyrbid" (Ram's term) from time-to-time won't feel so odd wearing their clothing.

That blows my mind, SayPay. 

That blows my mind, SayPay. You posted as I was writing my note, and basically said the same thing I did.

you people take it too far

you people take it too far :) a shirt is a shirt...logo or not. same with any other pair of clothing. if the stuff fits and feels the way i want it to I dont care if it has a giant logo on it. i want to be comfortable when i run so that stuff doesnt really matter to me. i see your points but like TJ and Saypay said...these companies make a lot of things other than shoes so you're not promoting shoes so much as wearing a brand. Nike and the rest of the big boys will tell you that yes they make shoes but they are a wide brand that is way more than just a shoe company so even they aren't trying to link themselves to just one aspect of the company. Why should we?

I think many people choose

I think many people choose the brand and logo for it's implied status, that's why I go out of my way to avoid it, whether the lable makes shoes or not.

My kids went to an up-scale suburban high school, and the brand conscousness made me sick!

Fortunatly two of our three kids didn't get caught up in it, but the other worked her butt off baby sitting and waitressing in order to feed her habit.

Again, for me it's got nothing to do with whether or not the company makes footwear, but my own little attempt to refuse to participate in a status game.

Thanks for all the great

Thanks for all the great advice.

I guess the real problem I have is promoting the Running Room products based on John Stanton's stance on BF running. It wasn't overly positive

communities.canada.com/calgaryherald/blogs/calgaryrunner/archive/2010/05/16/q-amp-a-with-running-room-founder-john-stanton.aspx

I know some people fairly high up in the company and I was going to aproach them next year perhaps to see if I can teach a BF clinic. I've already taught the 10km, triathlon, and marthon clinic (fully shod however). We're just going to have to see how perceptions change by next spring/summer. Along with what new products the shoe companies offer in the new year.

Hopefully by then, the BRS

Hopefully by then, the BRS will have its clothing line all set up and ready to go. We're looking into tech shirts at the moment. Stay tuned.

I don't let brand names sway

I don't let brand names sway my purchase decisions. I like certain items to run in and if a particular company makes it to my liking then I'll give it a shot.

My rotation of running shorts consists of RRS, Brooks, and Nike, as well as a retired Adidas. I chose them all because they are 2-in-1 shorts which are the only shorts I run in. The Adidas were my favorite until the spandex ended up with a hole in the crotch area. Not fun going out on a run and having one of the boys pop out for some air and then you look all goofy trying to get him back home.

Shirts? Way too many brands to name. Most are that brand from Target though.

LOL!  TMI. 

LOL! TMI.

Shacky wrote:The Adidas were

Shacky said:
The Adidas were my favorite until the spandex ended up with a hole in the crotch area. Not fun going out on a run and having one of the boys pop out for some air and then you look all goofy trying to get him back home.

Most of the time it seems more convenient to be male than female, but this is definitely one of the exceptions. The only way I can describe this feeling is "exquisite, but not in a good way." :<

kilts....that is all

kilts....that is all ;-D

If I must wear I shirt...I prefer it to be a boozer shirt...of a local pub, or type of beer :-D

Drink copious amounts of beer, wear a kilt, no shoes, and YOU TOO can be the coolest kid on the block!!

Of course, I think most of my friends believe I am slightly "touched"....but my wife loves me!