Feeling cheated running barefoot on smooth surfaces.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
I know this will sound crazy but I feel cheated when I run on very smooth roads. I am a strictly concrete barefoot runner, would love to do trails but would have to travel to find some. Anyways my town, for some reason, is starting to pave roads. And I miss the good ol' gravel, chip-n-seal roads! I actually like to run on beat up knobby roads, with cracks in them and what not. After a good run on some challenging surfaces, I actually like the sensation my feet get.

Running on these new paved roads stinks! It's totally boring for my feet lol! I have to say whatever kind of black top material they are using, it's quite strange. It actually feels soft when running on them. When it gets hot it's like running on a rubber track, kind of bizarre.

Some days though, give me

Some days though, give me nice smooth blacktop as far as the eye can see. I can go forever on that stuff without worrying about the condition of my feet.

I enjoy the challenge of a rough road, but it also brings me to my knees after going too long. I did 10 miles on crappy chipseal last weekend, and my feet still hurt.

I was thinking along similar

I was thinking along similar lines last evening when I took my son out for a run. I was barefoot and he was in VFF's. As we ran, I was telling him about the different textures of the roads we were on and I described the nasty, bumpy, old pavement as "feeling good".

We then came to a short section of newly paved road; which felt just as you described... kind of bouncy.

BTW... I am in sight of a 20 mile week this week. It will be the first time for me. I am Psyched!!!
cool.png

adam james wrote:  I know

adam james said:
I know this will sound crazy but I feel cheated when I run on very smooth roads. I am a strictly concrete barefoot runner, would love to do trails but would have to travel to find some. Anyways my town, for some reason, is starting to pave roads. And I miss the good ol' gravel, chip-n-seal roads! I actually like to run on beat up knobby roads, with cracks in them and what not. After a good run on some challenging surfaces, I actually like the sensation my feet get.

Running on these new paved roads stinks! It's totally boring for my feet lol! I have to say whatever kind of black top material they are using, it's quite strange. It actually feels soft when running on them. When it gets hot it's like running on a rubber track, kind of bizarre.

I ran on the high school track yesterday, and it was exactly like you just described. It was smooth and felt a little mushy, and soft? I hiked 4 miles on trails and ran 2 miles all bf today. The high school track is too easy! It doesn't give alot of feedback on form either.

I'd actually pay money for

I'd actually pay money for some smooth roads where I live. The chip sealed crap is a little too intense for me. Between the crappy roads and the heat, I've been reaching for my FiveFingers more than I care to admit.

I like it all, change it up

I like it all, change it up when I can. Pre-cryosurgery, I would seek out the harshest parts of my routes and be sure to hit them. I enjoy the challenge of running over something that is difficult. I also enjoy running on the beach and a known perfect patch of grass.

Last year, I ran mostly in

Last year, I ran mostly in the early morning and sometimes in the evening. Now, I've just been running at night, midnight mostly. Some of that has to do with my hubby's work hours and my needing to watch the kids. When it's cold, I try to run at the "warmest" part of the day. I got down to 25-27 degrees without footwear this past winter; of course, I will have to ease back into those degrees come this winter.

I'd sure love your winter

I'd sure love your winter temps, but I couldn't handle summer in the south! I would be extremely crabby! It seems like even in Michigan it takes a long time for the roads to cool down. But if you're running at midnight, it's probably not a problem for you!

I was thinking about this

I was thinking about this post yesterday on a run over some crappy chip seal. Do you think that running on rough surfaces prevents a good amount of sloppy form as well? I notice that my form seems cleaner on chip seal than on smooth pavement.

It's possible.  I have to

It's possible. I have to think about my foot placement while running on rough stuff, smooth stuff, not so much.

After 4+ months of BFR,

After 4+ months of BFR, walking, and hiking on chip seal, weathered sidewalks, and gravel-based trails I finally found a route that was mostly smooth naturally packed earth and fine grass.

When I first started BFR I could only of dreamed of such a surface... but as I ran it I somehow felt guilty. And even though I enjoyed my outing very much I actually looked forward to, and sought out, the few patches of roughness I could find.

It was like sitting down for a meal and eating nothing but dessert.

Oh... I will be going back in the future, but more as a treat than a main course.

S. Pimp.