Extra, Extra wide minimalist shoes?

Kyrrinstoch

Barefooters
May 20, 2014
I've been doing some digging, trying to see what's available in minimalist shoes (not necessarily just for running) that would comfortably fit an Extra-Extra wide (EEE to EEEE) foot, but no one seems to post their widths along with their sizes. The best I've seen is the description of "wide toe box", which I've found with conventional shoes still falls far too narrow.

Aside from VFF's (I've worn out 2 pair already) and something custom made, does anyone have any suggestions for make/models for a minimalist/0-drop in a EEEE width?

Minimalist shoes that are also wide are hard to come by. A lot of the minimalist shoes are also narrow in the midfoot and wide in forefoot. One brand that I know carries wides EE and EEEE is New Balance. You might also look at Altra as they are zero drop. I dislike how thick their shoes are getting though. It seems each new iteration gets a little thicker and heavier. They are pretty wide though. I am currently looking into Topo, but I cannot attest to how wide they are as of yet. I have wide feet too and have a hard time finding shoes that fit right through the midfoot. Other than that I don't know of any others really that are very wide.

Reactions: Sid
Nick, thanks for the response.

I checked directly with New Balance and they stated they currently have no plans to continue making a 0-drop Minimus in a EEEE width. Even their 4mm drop models that are that wide are a very limited selection. Either way, no one in my area stocks them in that width and won't order them in without my having to pay for them first (and pay a restocking fee if they don't fit or I just don't like them...)

I checked with Altra yesterday, and they claim their sizes are normally fitting in the EE to EEE range. Those may still be too narrow for me, but they are on my list to check out though.

I'm hoping to put together at least a short list of various minimalist footwear manufacturers that make stuff in the extremely wide widths so I can have a wider selection than VFF's, Altra's, huraches and moccasins for use at the office, working in the yard, etc and that can be worn during a Minnesota winter...

Any ideas are appreciated.

Ya I have the same problems. My go to shoe right now is the Luna Mono. I also use the vff speeds occasionally but I am not really wild about them. I just seem to have problems with the toes on vff's which causes lots of toe pain when running. I can only wear them for 5-7 miles and then my toes can't take anymore. I can verify that MOST of the Altras are pretty wide even throughout the midfoot which is nice. Unfortunately though like I said in the earlier post they seem to be getting thicker and thicker. Hopefully I can get to the city here soon so I can try on the Topo ST and see how they fit. They would actually be the perfect solution for me I think if they do in fact fit.

I've had problems with vivobarefoot in the past not being wide enough. Maybe that was just the couple models I tried way back when. I probably could have sized up like you say you did Sid, but that makes me tend to catch the tip of the shoe on everything because now the shoe is too long... The biggest reason I haven't tried more models though is the cost. Ouch!

Reactions: Sid
Sid, thanks for the feedback.

I've checked out Itasca Moccasins before, but I already have 2 pairs of custom moccasins from Catskill Mountain Moccasins and would like to go in a non-moccasin style for anything new.

I'll get in touch with Vivobarefoot about their sizes/widths though. VFF's only come in a standard width, but surprisingly, anything of theirs with laces actually does fit.

Something a lot of people don't realize is that for every "width" you add above a C (standard width), it effectively increases the shoe's width about a 1/4 to 1/2 size (depending on the last designs). In my case (with the EEEE width), I have a 9 length, but the equivalent of a size 10.5 to 11.5 width o_O

As you can imagine, not an easy foot to fit, which is why I figured I'd be asking what people have found so far before just contacting every minimalist/0-drop footwear manufacturer I could find...

Reactions: Sid and NickW
I've often wondered what a wide shoe size considers. Is it wide all over (even around the heel?) or, is it wide only in a specific area?

I've often wondered what a wide shoe size considers. Is it wide all over (even around the heel?) or, is it wide only in a specific area?
Good question. I'm totally not sure. For me I've got a normal sized heel I think, but my midfoot flares way out.

Nyah, I'm in the same boat as Nick. Apparently "normal" width heel, but wide mid and fore foot. I have been told I have "Short Toes" once while I was being fitted for English Riding boots.

It'd just be nice to find some comfortable shoes that I don't have to have custom made and/or that won't cost me a couple hundred $ a pair (like my Redwing boots do...)

Reactions: Sid and NickW
Hey just thought about Lemmings and wasnt sure if you've tried those either. I haven't tried them myself in a long time, like back when they were stems or whatever it was called. Just a thought.

ok, some good news for us wide footers - Altra's really do run as wide as they claim. i found a couple retaillers that had them in stock locally and tried on several models. There seemed to be minor variances in fit between the models, but a 9 or 9.5 in their shoes should work nicely. Now to decide which ones I want :)

I did get a hold of someone at Vivobarefoot, and he claimed their shoes ran wide as well. Unfortunately, i can't find a local retailler that keeps any in stock and would have to order them to try them out. :(

Nick, i can't seem to find any Lems retaillers anywhere near me and their website has no detailled fitting information. So, I'll have to get in touch directly with them as well....

Reactions: NickW and Sid
ok, some good news for us wide footers - Altra's really do run as wide as they claim. i found a couple retaillers that had them in stock locally and tried on several models. There seemed to be minor variances in fit between the models, but a 9 or 9.5 in their shoes should work nicely. Now to decide which ones I want :)

I did get a hold of someone at Vivobarefoot, and he claimed their shoes ran wide as well. Unfortunately, i can't find a local retailler that keeps any in stock and would have to order them to try them out. :(

Nick, i can't seem to find any Lems retaillers anywhere near me and their website has no detailled fitting information. So, I'll have to get in touch directly with them as well....
I know the few Altras I have tried on they have fit pretty well. I was going to purchase the Superior for trail running as it seems to be their thinnest trail shoes, but this model has been discontinued for the new Superior 1.5 which is a little heavier. I read some reviews on the Superior and they have scared me off of buying even at a discounted price of $50+ due to being discontinued. I don't want the shoe to fall apart during a trail run... From every thing I have seen this is only model I've heard about with these quality issues.

I know the few Altras I have tried on they have fit pretty well. I was going to purchase the Superior for trail running as it seems to be their thinnest trail shoes, but this model has been discontinued for the new Superior 1.5 which is a little heavier. I read some reviews on the Superior and they have scared me off of buying even at a discounted price of $50+ due to being discontinued. I don't want the shoe to fall apart during a trail run... From every thing I have seen this is only model I've heard about with these quality issues.

The quality issues aren't that big of a deal and they don't actually just fall off. The sides of them just start breaking away by the ball of the foot but it doesn't really affect much except a stray rock getting in. I would buy an extra pair for $50, well actually I already did.

The superiors 1.0 run wider than the lone peaks 1.5. However they also press on my big toe a little more too.

These aren't really minimalist shoes though but work great for tough trails.

But yes Altras are wider and the only trail shoes that fit my fat feet, well other than the 5 fingers but their trail shoe sucks ass. I also have a pair of an extra wide and size up minimus they fit but are tight width wise.

Sorry a size 9 will be tough though. I usually wear an 11.5 and tend to go up to a 12 or 12.5 for most shoes except Altras.

A size 12 vivobarefoot fits fine too.

The quality issues aren't that big of a deal and they don't actually just fall off. The sides of them just start breaking away by the ball of the foot but it doesn't really affect much except a stray rock getting in. I would buy an extra pair for $50, well actually I already did.

The superiors 1.0 run wider than the lone peaks 1.5. However they also press on my big toe a little more too.

These aren't really minimalist shoes though but work great for tough trails.
Ya I don't really consider them minshoes either, but they are zero drop and wide and for a trail shoe are pretty thin, an they have that removeable rock plate (our trails are pretty tame around here other than the mud). Thanks for the advice on the shoe Abide. I've read where some people have had the upper start to rip away from the sole after only 50 miles (several of these actually).... Now, I don't know how technical of terrain they are running on so maybe they run scree and other stuff thats hard on shoes.

Ok. I just went and bought the Altra Superiors (version 1.0?) as I couldn't pass up the sale price at a local shop. Size 9.5 with Injinji performance socks and they fit very well - plenty of room in the toes :)

I did call Lems and spoke with Andrew - their shoes are built using a EE width last. So for those with a wider foot, those may also be an option for a 0-drop shoe. I'll probably check those out eventually as well.

Reactions: NickW