Exercises to complement running?

I have found that Olympic style race walking as well as very fast Nordic walking, both really engage the core & uses the whole body. They give me a cardio workout (swap it for a running workout), they develop upper body & core and I hope make me a better runner (technique & injury proof). I can do a marathon a month during the race season without injury if I incorporate this "tri-pedestrian" protocol during the different stages of preparing, tapering & recuperating from marathoning.

Reactions: Sid
:)
I like to add in some running intentions as well.
That said, you can't just try to run, you have to try thinking about it too.
Ha, so true, and in fact I did try thinking about it, and the thought that came to me during my attempt is that hills might be the solution to my current malady--a stubbed toe that's taking forever to lose its tenderness. So I've run hills three times over the last seven days. And it works! Less impact--because of the reduced angle and slow pace--but plenty of aerobic conditioning, so that, when I can finally run at a decent pace on flat ground without aggravating my left big toe met head, hopefully I won't have to stop every few steps to catch my breath. Or maybe I'll just stick to hill-efficiency, and give up the running=mileage concept, to more of a running=conditioning concept.

Maybe we've coined a neologism: running intentions = "runtentions." Or, more generally, "excertentions." What are the intentions driving our flexions, extensions, and mended mid-sections?

Reactions: scedastic
Ha, so true, and in fact I did try thinking about it, and the thought that came to me during my attempt is that hills might be the solution to my current malady--a stubbed toe that's taking forever to lose its tenderness. So I've run hills three times over the last seven days. And it works! Less impact--because of the reduced angle and slow pace--but plenty of aerobic conditioning, so that, when I can finally run at a decent pace on flat ground without aggravating my left big toe met head, hopefully I won't have to stop every few steps to catch my breath. Or maybe I'll just stick to hill-efficiency, and give up the running=mileage concept, to more of a running=conditioning concept.

Maybe we've coined a neologism: running intentions = "runtentions." Or, more generally, "excertentions." What are the intentions driving our flexions, extensions, and mended mid-sections?

I love hills, except going down. I find it disconcerting. Up feels ok (unless it's on ice)

I got a deal where someone pays me to climb trees and muck about with a chainsaw a couple days a week. Try it! It can be exciting!

3 or 3 mornings a week I do pushups, a couple sets of 3o or 40 at a time.

I bend my elbow with a beer at least as often.

No yoga, kettlebells, or any organized sort of energy expenditure beyond running.

Reactions: migangelo and Sid
Only body weight resistance traning for me which is probably not enough since I am pretty lite :meh:

Reactions: Sid
Only body weight resistance traning for me which is probably not enough since I am not pretty lite :meh:

Last I can recall you were still sub-100lb. Still?

My weight stays around 102lbs give or take 2lbs I am on the +2 atm but when summer comes around those are gone with all the running I do.

I remember back in the RW days when you were using the one-footed avatar pic I had assumed you to be about 6'2.
With no reference plane size can be deceiving.
That pic I posted of the Key West street waif and I last month is a good example.
If you didn't know I was 5'5 and 150 lbs you'd never guess.
She's probably 9o lbs?

Reactions: scedastic
I remember back in the RW days when you were using the one-footed avatar pic I had assumed you to be about 6'2.
With no reference plane size can be deceiving.
That pic I posted of the Key West street waif and I last month is a good example.
If you didn't know I was 5'5 and 150 lbs you'd never guess.
She's probably 9o lbs?

Really hard to say Board even my co-workers think that I barely tip the scale at 90 lbs and you've seen me, I don't look that small, do I?
Because in my mind I don't.
Wait a minute you 5'5? I thought you said that you shrunk some :)

Yeah I used to be 5'6".

What do you do in addition to running, and how do you incorporate it? I know that we have an active group here on BRS! There are swimmers, skaters, yogis, weightlifters, cyclists, hikers, golfers, skiers, etc.

Anything and everything!

Besides running I don't really have any other steady workouts, but I try to lift weights (haven't since I started my marathon training last fall), and biking (just starting that back up now that its warmer).

Also activities I do more for fun but are also a great workout like cross country skiing in the winter, hiking in the mountains, paddling a yak or canoe, though those don't add up to very much individually as they are just a few times a year, but I try to do them as much as I can.

But I also choose to live more active in every day life by doing things the hard way... I cut my own firewood - splitting and stacking all by hand (JosephTree can probably verify that is a lot of work!), hauling in a few hundred pounds every few days into the house, I always take the stairs at work including getting up every couple hours and going up a few (average probably 40-60 flights per workday), I garden (that's a lot harder than people think, especially with a big garden and lots of weeds!), do all my own work hauling gravel or whatever, using shovels instead of power equipment, swinging a hammer, etc etc. This year I also shoveled snow all by hand since all my tractors were in some state of needing repair, though I skipped the main drive and just shoveled the path to the house and to the mailbox. Luckily the driveway never got much more than 6-8" deep.