Events Other Than the Signature

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
At every race I've been to since May (9 of them) there have been 5K finishers coming in at the blazing time of 15 minutes or less, with those in the back of the pack turning in times of up to 45 minutes.

Most of these races were associated with longer distance events, like 10K, 10 mile, 25K, etc.

The 25K at Grand Rapids is the bigest 25K in the world I understand, but there were still some world class times in the 10K and 5K events.

I'm planning on running the 5K at the Crim Festival of Races in Flint Michigan this Saturday, and in looking up last years results I found that not only did they not have a 5K before, but the 8K did not attract the caliber of runner that the signature 10 mile race did.

The top men's finisher in the 10 mile ran at a pace of 4:41, and the tenth place man came in with a pace of 4:48.

In my age group, 55-59, the winner paced 6:02, and the tenth finisher averaged 6:54.

In the 8K Men's age 55-59 group, the winner paced 7:52, and THIRD place was averaging 8:27! I mean I could easily come in second! (in a 5K at least)

With 9000 runners between the two events the majority were registered in the 10 mile- it of course being the signature event- but it still seems like quite a disparity in ability.

With this being the first year to have all three distances, anything is possible!

Looking up the Detroit Free Press Flagstar Bank International Marathon I find the same thing, the 5K finishers are coming in with fitness runner times rather than elite.

At major signature events is it common for the 5K and other shorter distances to be way less competitive?

Grand Rapids Fifth Third River Run did'nt seem that way at all!

Wow, I need to start looking

Wow, I need to start looking for an 8k or some other unconventional distance races.

Here in San Diego, the 5k distance usually garners a ton of attention (see Calrsbad 5000 for instance) and there are lots of people that train for them exclusively. And of course most of them are in my age group.

Yeah, the popular events

Yeah, the popular events always garner the elite athletes that do a 5K in 15 minutes. But there are always a ton of less publicized or popular races that are way less competitive. Zum and I just did a 5K where the top finisher came in barely sub-18 minutes. We got 25th place with a 23:25. If I got that same time in a popular 5K, I wouldn't even place in the top 200.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test