Epiphany, Digging with soft soled shoes aggrivating metatarsals

barefoot.zumba.runner

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
So, last night, in my sleeplessness, I started remembering back to my foot pain what may have lead to the stress fracture. I started digging gardens about 3 weeks ago? And looking back, I started having more tofp/foot pain when I started digging (foot/feet to spade with minimal shoes). I had worked up my mileage and hadn't have much for tofp until recently, wonder if that had anything to do with all of this..Am I really reaching?

Reaching maybe a little:)  I

Reaching maybe a little:) I think it's just coincidence.

By following your progresssion when you first started running barefoot, you were making great gains! I think it just all caught up to you just by pushing beyond your limits while not even knowing it.

Trust me I did the same thing, my first two months I was going full force. What happen was I sprained my ankle just from TMTS. I remember how it happened I was descending downhill to fast, with not enough practice, and obviously working tendons and muscles that were not even close to being conditioned for what I was doing. I had a few injuries in the beginning of my transition all within a 3 month periond, and they truly humbled me.

Now with 9 months into barefoot running, I really feel strong running barefoot. I honestly think you need a full year to fully adapt to barefoot running, that is just my personal timeline. But it's a never ending learning experiance.

Great job on the half marathon, and sorry about the injury. You will be back stronger than ever.

I can actually see how that

I can actually see how that might be, Zumba. I definitely agree with Norm on the ladder climbing though. We'll be moving soon and the weekend before last I was at my partner's house painting in preperation. I spent the day climbing up and down the ladder barefoot and had ankle and shin soreness for a week after, to the point where I cut back my milage, which is low to begin with, because I was uncomfortable and afraid I was going to end up injuring myself.

i agree with both thoughts

i agree with both thoughts on this. yes it could have aggravated your feet and upset some of the musculature but like adam said it's probably not what caused it to happen. it could have had a part in making your feet susceptible if they muscles were irritated from stuff like pounding on a shovel. still it was more likely the running that did it.

yes sir!  i was doing work

yes sir! i was doing work on my parents farm this past weekend and it was the first time i put on a pair of shoes since january. i was digging holes and doing good old farm stuff...vffs were not going to cut it so an old pair of nikes got the dust kicked off of them. protect the feet so you can enjoy them people!

Thanks for the input folks,

Thanks for the input folks, Adam...I agree. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one full force and getting blindsided by a little injury. I'm only about 4.5mos in, and agree that next year will be the year I really see cool stuff happen. Patience is a virtue.

Note to self, good stiffer soled shoe while digging in the gardens. Definitely NOT barefoot, gardening (not digging) and light yard work...sure.

See there is something to use

See there is something to use your old shoes for.

I think a year is probably the necessary amout of time to give yourself when transitioning before you place serious demands on your feet. Some people can do it sooner and some it might take longer. But If I keep seeing the gains in foot strength I have in the last 8 months, after a year I can imagine my feet could take a beating and not have any negative affects from it.

May I ask what your mileage

May I ask what your mileage per week was before your half?

I do pretty much everything

I do pretty much everything (including chainsawing and stacking my winter wood barefoot) a pair of nikes isn't going to protect my feet from any of that stuff if I was to make a mistake with the saw or drop something on it...only steel-tipped boots would....and I hate wearing them. I climb ladders, etc....not that I'm doing that stuff all day everyday...I find it makes me much more mindful of what I am doing. But, once again, that's just the way I do things, not that I advocate naked sole chain sawing...well, actually, I do, but for me :). I feel more balanced and rooted without shoes...with shoes, I feel almost like I'm on stilts, it just doesn't feel right to me to work in them. To each their own, a good mantra!

I hate to point this out,

I hate to point this out, Zum, but you did say you were feeling so good you were show-boating, dancing, and jumping up on and down off of curbs. It's possible you came down the wrong way on that foot at one of those points.

And now I go out on a limb... How are you doing with calcium and vitamin D intake? Have you had the need or concern for a bone densitometry test? Even at your age, it is possible to develop osteopenia or osteoporosis.

Hope this helps.

I hear ya N3, yikes for

I hear ya N3, yikes for sawing wood barefoot. Though like you said, what is a pair of shoes going to do if you accidentally saw your foot off anyway:O

Nyal (always makes me think of my baby Nyla), are you asking what my mileage was per week the of my half (was about 7-8mi I think) ? During training (about 20-25mi/week)? or before training for the half (about 18-20mi/week)?

Hey, when I said go barefoot

Hey, when I said go barefoot in your garden, I meant just kind of walk around in the dirt a bit and maybe pull some weeds ;)

Jimmy, all depends on what

Jimmy, all depends on what you're used to, alwaysrelative

Willie, that settles it! It's your fault I have a broken bone :p Boy did my feet enjoy feeling the dirt, and how they crave it now. Just think of the appreciation they'll have once they're out of their hard soled shoe prision sentence.

Interesting discussion.  I

Interesting discussion. I just started a painting project this afternoon and have been climbing on and off a step ladder barefooted. I had to get out the big extension ladder (painting the stairwell) and I decided I needed shoes for the round "steps". Boy did it feel weird putting on my old running shoes; I felt like I was going to tip over! And I felt tall (I'm only 5'2")!!

lol Fetish, well any height

lol Fetish, well any height you can get when you're 5'2. How are your feet feeling after a day of "runging the ladder"?

I'm a carpenter and

I'm a carpenter and also raise horses, llamas and alpacas. There are some times when a good pair of boots is just a necessary evil.I hate putting them on, but having a 1200 pound horse step on my foot would be the end of my running career. As for cutting wood, I was a paramedic for 10 years. I've seen what happens when you don't wear chaps and boots while running a chain saw. It ain't pretty. I'll take sweaty toes to no toes any day LOL!

I do agree...safest is to

I do agree...safest is to wear steel toed boots...baring that, nothing else is going to protect your toes....so I don't pretend I'm protected by wearing "regular shoes"...and the false sense of safety they bring...and I'm very skeptical about leather chaps protecting one's legs from a chainsaw :)...I think the best way to keep yourself safe is to stay mindful, very, very mindful. AND make sure you watch out for the Zombies....contrary to popular belief, Zombies are not easily dispatched by chainsaws. Zombies are best met by Hydrocloric acid shot from a super soaker....the rotten flesh just melts away, and there's very little clean up afterwards.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts