Earthing: Legit Concept or Pseudoscience BS?

Earthing is based on the idea that you can collect free electrons from the earth by walking barefoot (among other activities), which can then be utilized as an antioxidant to neutralize free radicals, ergo improve health.

What are your thoughts? I'm going to publish a post about the idea tomorrow and wanted to get some feedback beforehand. For those that know me, you can probably guess how I handle the topic. :)

Reactions: Gidds
load of bollocks. Where are all these free electrons coming from, and what about the unbalanced atoms they are leaving behind? How are they supposed to get to the right place in your body.

Unless the sunlight (UV) is stripping all those electrons off of the concrete! But then UV and x-rays (which are high speed electrons) have the opposite effect of anti-oxidation don't they?

Sounds like a load of hooey designed to create demand for a line of 'earthing' products to help you get 'connected' while still enjoying the comforts of our high-tech 'insulating' world. If it was so beneficial to collect electrons, we'd all be sitting around licking batteries. And no doubt the rebuttal will be that 'natural' electrons conducted from the earth work better than those 'artificial' electrons. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Robin
Well, it’s true, but you have to do it while Venus is in it’s fourth trimester during a blue moon and then run barefoot while wearing a pyramid hat made out of Adamantium, while making farting noises with your mouth and flapping your arms like a bird.

Other than that, it doesn’t work.

Don’t ask how I know this.

Translation: Ely is only partially correct - it's not just bollocks, but complete utter bollocks.

Michael Sandler wrote about the same thing in his barefoot running book. I saw him speak in my town a few months ago and he talked about this for 20 minutes, I was ready to walk out but didn't want to be rude. He is a huge believer of this crap, and he said he will be writing a book about it. Personally I think it's a bunch of bollocks as well. Btw I think Michael Sandler is awesome, I just don't believe in this kind of stuff.

If you want a good stir- the- pot topic I say go for it!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Michael Sandler wrote about the same thing in his barefoot running book. I saw him speak in my town a few months ago and he talked about this for 20 minutes, I was ready to walk out but didn't want to be rude. He is a huge believer of this crap, and he said he will be writing a book about it. Personally I think it's a bunch of bollocks as well. Btw I think Michael Sandler is awesome, I just don't believe in this kind of stuff.

I read his book last year, I almost put it down when he started on some of the hippy-dippy sh*t. I powered through it and the rest of the book was really good.

For the record, I connect myself to ground at night using a welding clamp and 1-guage wire attached to my big toe.. The other end of the wire is attached to a pipe embedded 10-feet below the foundation of my house. I get kinda nervous during lightning storms.

Reactions: Robin and paulie
Pirate, you f'ing crack me up dude!

Theggyou...theggyouverymuch...

Is this the same "science" behind the power bands that popped up a couple of years ago? For that matter, I'd reckon that any sort of positive effect would be more attributed to placebo than anything...

OK. I'll go out on a limb here and say I believe in it. Yeah, I read Micheal's book and thought the concept was pretty weird, but as I go along my barefoot journey it is starting to make sense. I don't know about the science or electrons or grounding, but I feel great when I stand in the dirt barefoot. Every time I feel the slightest hint of a cold coming on, I'll run barefoot and I feel better after. I have not been sick this year. Could be luck, could be nutrition, could be grounding, who knows? Also, stress seems to evaporate when barefoot running. I'm not going to push it, I'm not going to buy any blankets or grounding rods that you plug in, and I not going to be offended by non believers. I look forward to your post Jason.

Reactions: jswan2011
I feel great when I stand in the dirt barefoot.

Rick, it's a combination of the proper nerve stimulation and returning your entire body's muscle balance to normal. Also allowing temperature sensations to provide input to your brain. Exposure to natural pathogens instead of the cultured ones inside a pair of shoes or sandals.
The list goes on, but does not include "Earthing".

Reactions: Robin
Good point Longboard. I just read Ahcuah's blog post and the comments. I can see why some or apparently most barefoot runners want to distance themselves from the concept.

So are foot baths for detoxifying the body bunk also? I've had several people recommend them, but never have tried it. It does seem odd to me to be able to pull toxins out through you skin.

So much research and self education to do, so little time.

There's no way this is real. If it were, Obama would be touting it as an alternative fuel source, and the BRS would be receiving stimulus funds.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090