Don't shorten your stride!

Actually b&a, a Ferrari and a VW Beetle do not perform the same from a mechanical standpoint. They are two totally different breeds of car. One made to go fast, the other just to go. The Ferrari will handle speeds much much much better than a Beetle will. I do believe that some of us maybe are better "geared" (pun intended) for faster running than others.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Just curious Tristan: when you took up barefoot running, and your form changed, did you find your form improved on its own or did you consciously have to work on it?

Well that may be a grey area. I wanted to do it right, and had read (mainly on these forums even before I actually registered) about all the problems you can run into transitioning so I bought a book to help learn initially. I didnt really just go out and try and see what happened, so I can't really say if my form would have changed easily on its own. But even using Jasons book as a guide it still took a lot of conscious effort for a long time... and even to this day I still catch my for slipping here and there, and listen to a metronome app to try and get my cadence up. If I am out on a long slow jog my cadence still wants to drop low... I know that is a subject of debate... but for now I still try to hit the 180 mark. And I've been at it for 9 months now.

Actually b&a, a Ferrari and a VW Beetle do not perform the same from a mechanical standpoint. They are two totally different breeds of car. One made to go fast, the other just to go. The Ferrari will handle speeds much much much better than a Beetle will. I do believe that some of us maybe are better "geared" (pun intended) for faster running than others.

We will definitely disagree here then Nick. Both cars have chassis/frame and wheels and operate under the laws of physics. Genetically speaking yes they are different just as humans are but we operate under the same rules of physics to move. Problems arise because because we have to use perception to maintain our best mechanics. The cars just need parts and an able driverto perform mechanically sound.

What if you trained at a slower pace after being well rested, just to work on form at a slower pace?
I can't run distances at an 8 min pace, yet. So, I usually start my longer runs with a 10-11 min pace.
I dunno Sid, it might work, but right now I'm trying a sort of anti-Maff method, sticking to long-n-slow distances in which I can do sub-10-minute paces, then hills, and fartlek training. I'm only going to add distance to my long and slow days when I can consistently do a 8-min pace. At least that's the training plan today. It feels right for me. But I agree with B&A, that ideally I would look good at any pace, even laying down or while eating salt doing somersaults in the summer.

Reactions: NickW and Sid
We will definitely disagree here then Nick. Both cars have chassis/frame and wheels and operate under the laws of physics. Genetically speaking yes they are different just as humans are but we operate under the same rules of physics to move. Problems arise because because we have to use perception to maintain our best mechanics. The cars just need parts and an able driverto perform mechanically sound.
Yes, both types of cars will have some of the same components, in name only (not in quality). A Beetle though will never be a Ferrari no matter how many parts you change just like some people, no matter how much work they put into running, will never be elite. A Ferrari on the other hand can be damaged to the point it will never be anything faster than a Beetle. You talk about physics, but you forget to mention how everything on a Ferrari is built for speed, that includes it's shape (can't really change that much), the chassis is different, the suspension is different, the brakes, the engine, etc etc etc.... No matter what PARTS you try to add to a Beetle it will NEVER be a Ferrari. This goes with running too. No matter how much some runners train and strengthen their muscles they will never be elite. These are the Beetles of the running world. I'm not saying that they can't get faster or better, because they can. To become elite (Ferrari) though they have to have the right genetics. That's all I'm saying B&A. Shoot, I used to be decently fast and with the right training back then I may have been a BMW (that's me dreaming of course, probably more like a Camaro or something), but I don't think even back then when I was fully healthy I ever would have been a Ferrari, no matter how much I tried to strengthen my muscles (change and add parts). I'm ok with that knowledge and I accept that.

I think what Nick is saying is this...............................wait

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 14
If I were to observe a Ferrari and a beetle driving side by side at 10mph,40mph,60mph,120mph, I would see that that both move in a very, very similar fashion and make up. For all intensive purpose the same. Yes they have some different appearance but mechanism the same.

I respectfully disagree. The Ferrari is designed to slice through the air and will be more stable at the faster speeds, even at 60 mph it will be more stable. The Beetle, not so much. The Ferrari will also corner much better than the beetle because of it's design. The only thing that you could really call the same is that they both are cars and both have engines, chassis, brakes, and tires. The way these similar parts are designed and applied on the other hand, ARE different mechanically. Anyhow, It's nothing worth arguing over B&A. Hope you have a great run today!:barefoot:

Nick,

I don't see this as argueing. Verbalizing how we believe things work is important as it shapes our perception. I just had o.e pleasant run and will be going for another soon. Maybe others could chime in on their thoughts on the matter.

I don't think about stride length at all but I do keep the cadence up. It feels weird now to drop below 170-175. If I drop below that, I start to push off and that causes no end of problems in the my calves. My stride length depends on how quickly I am attempting to go.

Reactions: barefootandagile

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090