Does Anyone Use an App to Log Running Miles, Paces, and General Exercise?

happysongbird

Chapter Presidents
Jul 1, 2011
Nampa, Idaho
dailyimprovisations.com
Since I'm thinking of keeping track of my total mileage next year, it got me thinking about the best way to do this. Other than just the fun of it, I think it could be useful for how I come up with other goals and keep track of progress or recuperations. I'd like to have something do the adding and averaging for me as I go along; and it would be nice if it would work with my iPad, since I might go on some business trips with my husband next year. So far, I don't have a laptop and only use my iPad when I travel. Surely there is something like this out there?

could you just do a google docs (or similar) spreadsheet? I did that before I went to using a phone-based tracker and then Garmin. Alternatively, look into runkeeper in the App store for your ipad. i log activity there (just as another place to hoard data. I'm a nerd). and it tracks pretty thoroughly

Reactions: happysongbird
I just made an excel spreadsheet which keeps track of my miles, barefoot and minshod. It tells me how much I run each month, and if I wanted to I could set it so that it told me how many per week I was doing too. Pretty easy to set up in Excel if you know how to do that.

How are you measuring things in the first place? I used to use www.sports-tracker.com when I had a compatible phone (most smart phones are, I just managed to upgrade to a bad one!), it records speed/pace, distance, cadance, draws you a map. I just kept it all stored on my phone but a think you can download, you can certainly put it online.

This may be the thing that makes me break down and get a smart phone.

It's certainly convenient to have the app to log the run, BUT... using the apps GPS to log the run uses up a HUGE amount of data so unless you get an unlimited data plan (which I don't have) the app itself collects dust in the corner. I actually don't think I've used the runkeeper app in over a year. That's the nice thing about the website though, it's free, and you can plot your map yourself.

I have a love/hate relationship with my iPhone. I would love it more if I didn't feel like I was being raped by the cell phone companies.

I don't know about runkeeper, but generally, unless the app downloads base maps (I think some might), you should only need a data connection for uploading your run (which could probably be done later over a wireless connection) or if using assisted GPS (there should be the option on your phone to switch that off). I know when I first used sports tracker I had it set up so there was no data download/upload.

It's certainly convenient to have the app to log the run, BUT... using the apps GPS to log the run uses up a HUGE amount of data so unless you get an unlimited data plan (which I don't have) the app itself collects dust in the corner. I actually don't think I've used the runkeeper app in over a year. That's the nice thing about the website though, it's free, and you can plot your map yourself.

I have a love/hate relationship with my iPhone. I would love it more if I didn't feel like I was being raped by the cell phone companies.
good insight, thanks!

I don't know about runkeeper, but generally, unless the app downloads base maps (I think some might), you should only need a data connection for uploading your run (which could probably be done later over a wireless connection) or if using assisted GPS (there should be the option on your phone to switch that off). I know when I first used sports tracker I had it set up so there was no data download/upload.
I can see I'm going to have to learn some lingo...

BUT... using the apps GPS to log the run uses up a HUGE amount of data so unless you get an unlimited data plan...
Oh, hey that's good to know. I was feeling silly paying all this money for a GPS watch when I heard that people were just using their phones. I didn't even think about the data usage. I figured it would just save to the phone and then just upload later, like watches do. A cell phone is both pricey and has recurring charges, which I suppose would be more expensive than a top of the line watch.

I can see I'm going to have to learn some lingo...
Sorry! Do ask for explanations on anything, there may also be cross-Atlantic differences. Assisted GPS (A-GPS) is a smartphone specific thing, so don't know why I didn't think to explain that one! It's where the phone adds in its location data (based on where its getting a signal from) to the GPS data - the phone data isn't as precise, but helps if the GPS signal is poor.

Oh, hey that's good to know. I was feeling silly paying all this money for a GPS watch when I heard that people were just using their phones. I didn't even think about the data usage. I figured it would just save to the phone and then just upload later, like watches do. A cell phone is both pricey and has recurring charges, which I suppose would be more expensive than a top of the line watch.
See my other post re data usage, but that reminds me - phones don't always get a great GPS signal, if that was your main reason for getting one might be worth seeing if you could convince someone to lend you theirs to try out on some regular runs. I'd hope a dedicated GPS device would do a better job.
Do you have to pay for phones upfront over there then? Here they tend to be free on all but the cheapest contracts, but you are locked in for a couple of years.

Do you have to pay for phones upfront over there then? Here they tend to be free on all but the cheapest contracts, but you are locked in for a couple of years.
In the US, many people get their phones at a "discount". For example, one would pay $200 up front for a $600 phone, but is locked into a 2 year contract. Rather than paying the $400 difference over two years, it ends up being about $600 in payments, and hence the company makes a tidy profit on "hidden interest". There are a few cellular companies that let you buy the phone up front and charge you a lower monthly rate without a contract.

Sorry! Do ask for explanations on anything, there may also be cross-Atlantic differences. Assisted GPS (A-GPS) is a smartphone specific thing, so don't know why I didn't think to explain that one! It's where the phone adds in its location data (based on where its getting a signal from) to the GPS data - the phone data isn't as precise, but helps if the GPS signal is poor.
Okay, back to the idea of learning to use my husband's GPS watch with it's dreaded bezel! (that he has said he can teach me to use, in spite of my last failure)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts