Does anyone take Pre-Workout supplements before a long run?

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
Some of the guys on a work out forum I'm on have started taking Jack3d before running and said it gave them more stamina, made breathing easier and they went further. Just curious what you guys take before or durring a long run. A lady I ran into at Runon who runs ultras said she's a huge fan of Stingers and the premade PB&Js for her Ultras, but her husband likes the Chomps and Gu.

I saw a thread on here about some folks running on a fast. I may have to give that a try too...

-Jonny

Do you drink the Jack3d or

Do you drink the Jack3d or eat it or what?

It's a flavored powder you

It's a flavored powder you mix with water. I has 1,3 Dymeth, caffeine, Beta-Alanine, creatine, aminos, etc. It helps improve stamina, explosiveness, curb lactic acid build up and speed up recovery time. It kicked my weight training workouts up to a new level! Actually, I use Muscle Farms Assault. My wife and I tried a half scoop before our run on Thursday, but I couldn't tell if it helped or it was just that I was running at her speed and we were chatting the whole time that it seemed so relaxed and easy.

-Jonny

Does it taste sweet?  I can't

Does it taste sweet? I can't stand Gatorbarf, so if it's like that, I shouldn't try it.

It reminds me of a Raspberry

It reminds me of a Raspberry Ice, if you melted it in some lemon gaitoraid, so yeah...pretty sweet. It doesn't bother my stomach at all though...

-Jonny

If you want a good, happy run

If you want a good, happy run drink some St. John's Wort tea or take a pill. It's almost cheating.

Nyal wrote:If you want a

Nyal said:
If you want a good, happy run drink some St. John's Wort tea or take a pill. It's almost cheating.

Side Effects and Safety Concerns
In published studies, the most common side effects associated with short-term use of St. John’s wort supplements have included mild stomach upset; allergic skin reactions; tiredness; restlessness; anxiety; sexual/erectile dysfunction; dizziness; dry mouth and headache. If applied to the skin, St. John’s wort may cause a skin rash. St. John’s wort (both oral or topical) increases the sensitivity of skin and eyes to sunlight.

Rarely, St. John’s wort has been associated with serotonin syndrome, a potentially dangerous condition resulting from an excess of serotonin in the central nervous system. Symptoms include confusion, fever, hallucinations, nausea, loss of muscle coordination, sweating, and shakiness. Use with antidepressants, particularly SSRIs, has been associated with this. If you experience any of these symptoms, stop taking St. John’s wort and seek immediate medical attention.

Aaaaaaaaand, that's where you lost me! LOL

-Jonny

Yikes!

Yikes!

Jack3d took my workouts to a

Jack3d took my workouts to a new level too! But while trying to run naturally I would never take anything before runs. That way you do not have to rely on artifical supplements to do such a natural excercise.

This morning, I ran 5 miles

This morning, I ran 5 miles (longest I've run without stopping in my entire life) with nothing but water. I could have kept going! I think I may just be a morning runner from here on out! I did scare one guy coming up behind him since there is no "clop clop" in bare feet! I HEARD another guy running the other way...he sure didn't look like he was having any fun!

Anyway, I think I'll save the Assault for my lifting days only. (LOL...that sure looks like a crazy sentence out of context!)

-Jonny

Even now on my cross training

Even now on my cross training days, I do not take any supps for it, I do p90x chest & back and ab ripper. I have take a strong stance towards being natural, so no pre or post workout supps not even protein shake after, just lots of meat!

Supplements before a long

Supplements before a long run?

Hmm.. I like a banana and some tammrr (dates) before a long run. Yeah, no supplements here.

Recently, I've gotten my hands on some Organic Raw Criollo Cacao nibs from Venezuela. And what an amazing superfood it is before or after a run!

Also for any women reading

Also for any women reading this St. John Warts messes with birth control, so be careful.

However I'm relatively certain Jack3D would probably have just as many if not more long term side effects than St. John's Wart. It probably just hasn't been studied as much. With that being said, yeah I take it sometimes :). I've taken that, stackers, and 5 hour energy. Obviously not all at the same time, or I'm rather certain my heart would have stopped. Probably the first two aren't all that good for me and I shouldn't take them, but whatever they do give some added energy for sure. The Jack3D doesn't have quite as bad as a downswing as the stackers do. The 5 hour energy has no real crash, but also not as much as a high. Yeah probably not reccomended to take supplements like that, but I never really listen to my own advice.

Water... i dont do pre run

Water... i dont do pre run drinks... i do post drinks and just some classic optimum hydro whey protein

I have found nothing better

I have found nothing better pre run than Generation UCAN. I've been around this industry for 15 years and have even gone into the lab and worked with a company mixing up products before but nothing works as good (for me) as UCAN does. The company is in the earlier stages of growth but they are coming on strong. One of their runners, Meb Keflizighi, won the San Diego RnR this past weekend!

Jimmy Hart wrote:I have

Jimmy Hart said:
I have found nothing better pre run than Generation UCAN. I've been around this industry for 15 years and have even gone into the lab and worked with a company mixing up products before but nothing works as good (for me) as UCAN does. The company is in the earlier stages of growth but they are coming on strong. One of their runners, Meb Keflizighi, won the San Diego RnR this past weekend!

Can you get it local or do you have to order it from their online store? What does it do/have in it?

-Jonny

Barefoot Gentile wrote:I eat

Barefoot Gentile said:
I eat nothing before my runs, even up to twenty miles. I like running on a empty stomach, I will eat something if I am in a race though.

What do you eat before/durring a race? Why the change from the way you train? Just curious.

I've seen some postings about the warrior diet and running on empty...sounds interesting. I may have to give this a try, also.

-Jonny

Jonny00GT wrote:Barefoot

Jonny00GT said:
Barefoot Gentile said:
I eat nothing before my runs, even up to twenty miles. I like running on a empty stomach, I will eat something if I am in a race though.

What do you eat before/durring a race? Why the change from the way you train? Just curious.

I've seen some postings about the warrior diet and running on empty...sounds interesting. I may have to give this a try, also.

-Jonny

I keep tradition going and eat oatmeal and a banana before a 1/2 or full marathon, that seems to be my stable food and works well for me. NO GI issues as well.

Here is an article explaining the purpose behind fasting and running: http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19425

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts