Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Yes, after

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Yes, before and after

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters
Hiya, I run in VFFs and a mixture of trail and Tarmac, but I choose softer surfaces where I can, fields and bridle ways.

Oh, the five fingers are probably causing your shin splints, I would suggest not wearing them anymore.

Massaging and rolling are probably more important for running maintenance...Yup this is what I do...much more benefit than than stretching for me...this is my bread and butter for post runnning.
X3!!
I find the coke can thing works really well especially when you empty into a glass of rum!!;)

Ok, first let me say this I'm NOT AN EXPERT by any means. But I'd know that "shin splints" is sort of a generic term for pain in the front part of the lower legs, mostly caused by stress fractures in the shin bone and or muscle tears in the same area, due to overuse, and poor (heel strike) form. They will heal with rest. Changing running form will also cause pain in the same area. I was a cyclist for most of my life, and never ran on purpose. When I started running, especially in minimal/barefoot my shins hurt! I found out I had not ever developed certain muscles in the shin area. As these muscles got stronger, the pain went away. Many if not most of us, run barefoot because we believe it's better for us and causes less injury. It does entail some adjustment to form. There are muscles that must be strengthened in order to run barefoot correctly. There is pain at this point. So stretching those developing muscles will help. But strengthening them is more important. I seldom stretch. Once again, I'm no expert. But, I hope this helps.

I now massage any sore spots or trigger points before exercise. If needed, I take a moment to stretch a bit during exercise. I stretch after exercise. If needed, I massage or address trigger points again at the end of the day.

Reactions: dutchie53
I have (perhaps entirely foolishly) set myself a challenge of doing the splits. My current target is still to touch my toes. My Pilates instructor told me I should stretch after every run and exercising.

I don't stretch before a run. I don't find it helps any

Reactions: Bare Lee