Do I think too much?

Tedlet

Barefooters
Aug 25, 2014
It occurred to me before running today that, having read countless articles and studied numerous videos detailing the intricate component parts of good BF technique, my brain was maybe getting a bit overloaded and confused (I’m a simple sole and, being a man am also not terribly good at focusing on more than a couple of things at a time!).

So for this morning’s run I decided to give my brain a rest and forget about my feet completely. Instead I just concentrated on ‘upright posture’ and ‘lift the knees’ and left everything else to do its own thing, just to see what happened. –Amazingly I’m happy to be able to post that today was probably my most enjoyable run yet: no pain, aching, tightness, blisters, etc… and post run the feet feel good.

I do have a habit of over-thinking things sometimes, and I wonder if perhaps I have been doing the same with learning to BF. Or maybe it’s a coincidence of timing and, after a couple of months now, things are just starting to fall into place.

Anybody else think that sometimes trying to concentrate on every minor part of your technique occasionally becomes counter-productive?
-Still enjoying the experience anyway (wish I’d discovered this a few years ago!).:)

Very good, grasshopper!

For me it's a hallmark of a good run that I drop into the posture - breathing - cadence - underfoot texture - air feel, wildlife sounds, etc sort of omni awareness, and out of the directorial, analytical, overly self conscious frame of thought. Sometimes it happens when I'm with a group of runners as conversation bounces around, though I don't get to try that too often.

It occurred to me before running today that, having read countless articles and studied numerous videos detailing the intricate component parts of good BF technique, my brain was maybe getting a bit overloaded and confused (I’m a simple sole and, being a man am also not terribly good at focusing on more than a couple of things at a time!).

So for this morning’s run I decided to give my brain a rest and forget about my feet completely. Instead I just concentrated on ‘upright posture’ and ‘lift the knees’ and left everything else to do its own thing, just to see what happened. –Amazingly I’m happy to be able to post that today was probably my most enjoyable run yet: no pain, aching, tightness, blisters, etc… and post run the feet feel good.

I do have a habit of over-thinking things sometimes, and I wonder if perhaps I have been doing the same with learning to BF. Or maybe it’s a coincidence of timing and, after a couple of months now, things are just starting to fall into place.

Anybody else think that sometimes trying to concentrate on every minor part of your technique occasionally becomes counter-productive?
-Still enjoying the experience anyway (wish I’d discovered this a few years ago!).:)

Depends what book you read apparently. The book I read to get me going specifically says not to over think and it doesn't go into detail about specifics of form. Instead it suggests finding your own form and has drills and such (including non-running things) to help you build strength and form. Focus more on landing lightly(pretend your running over hot coals), without making noise (close your eyes a bit and pretend your a ninja sneaking up on someone), lifting the foot and not pushing off, avoiding unnecessary body movement, etc. Even specifies to avoid over specific advice about form from the web for example, until you develop the basic form first. While this forum is great resource, I agree you should try to find your form first on your own, without over thinking it. If you struggle with it after giving it some time, then perhaps with the help of advice here try to find the issue.

Yes thinking too much becomes counter productive. There are two major components to barefoot running, form and relaxing. You can't relax when your head is filling with tons of running information and trying to apply them when you are out for a run. Every person is going to have their own way of running, you can apply techniques you read, but eventually you will find what's comfortable for you and just sick with that. I used to over-think as well, but now I don't even read about barefoot running anymore or about technique, just no need and happy where I'm at. 5 years ago there wasn't as much info as today. I used to go on youtube and watch barefoot running vids.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts