Cycling - good idea or bad idea?

Larry

Barefooters
Sep 13, 2012
I'm trying to get back up to speed after I was derailed last year by a nasty bout of classic TOFP caused by weak and sore calves.

I'm up to the 5km running mark (in shoes - barefoot transition comes next), and so I thought it might be time to jump on the bike and go for a short 12km ride at a relaxed pace yesterday. After the ride I went through my current running routine of rolling my calves with a rolling pin, and for the first time since my injury, the front of my calves were quite sore. This worried me a bit, because I was doing quite a bit of bike riding before my big breakdown last year.

I went for another run this morning and found that I was a fraction slower than my previous run on the same course. Rolling my shins wasn't as painful as after the bike ride, but it was a little tender.

So, the question - is cycling a good thing to do if you're trying to build running fitness, strengthen your calves and avoid TOFP? I like the idea of mixing in one or two rides per week, but I'm a little worried that I might end up injured again.

As an aside, I haven't got cycling shoes, I'm just riding with those old-school toe-clips and straps. Don't know if this means I'm more likely to be pushing with the front of my foot and straining the calves more.

I do it just as good cross training.

That's a good question, Larry, and I've been thinking about the same thing lately. I'm wondering if I should ride my bike to build up my fitness and help me get back into running safely, but I don't want it to injure me. And I don't wear any fancy-smancy bike shoes.

I started running because I was going barefoot all the time. And then I got back into cycling because I was running. I love doing both. I think both are great for general fitness.