Could barefoot road running cause cancer?

I can shave off 10% of every one of your PR's regardless of distance if you just let me drill out those evil things from your teeth.
Don't believe me? I bet Dr. Oz will confirm it.

Sid, I happen to love the smell of freshly laid asphalt...and gasoline. Is there something wrong with me? :walkingdead:

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
Yikes! :nailbiting: Did it work?

Another tangent, but this thread is already blown to hell....

When I was a kid (19) I worked at a golf course. I used to mow the greens barefooted every morning. I loved it, it felt great. One day, the superintendant saw me mowing unshod, and playfully asked me, "Do you have any idea what kind of $*&# I put in the water? Do you want to have children someday? Put on shoes."

Reactions: Bare Lee
So did you...have children?

I'm happy to see that this crowd is knowledgeable enough with respect to barefoot machine operating realities to not question how many toes the father has.
Barefoot lawn mowing comes up in all barefoot related forums, and the general consensus is that unless one is wearing steel boots there is no greater risk involved in mowing unshod vs shod. The case can even be made that it is safer due to the sure footedness offered by real soles vs fake ones.

I'm happy to see that this crowd is knowledgeable enough with respect to barefoot machine operating realities to not question how many toes the father has.
Barefoot lawn mowing comes up in all barefoot related forums, and the general consensus is that unless one is wearing steel boots there is no greater risk involved in mowing unshod vs shod. The case can even be made that it is safer due to the sure footedness offered by real soles vs fake ones.

Mowed my lawn today, barefoot of course...;) Of course I have to run tomorrow to get the chlorophyll stains off of my feet.

Just a quick hijack:
Before the internets I had a handful of patients per year that decided they would be healthier without dental x-rays. One of the main reasons for the annual exposure is to discover between the tooth smooth surface decay before it is otherwise noticeable. Waiting for more obvious signs usually results in a large filling in a weakened tooth, and is now the type of restored tooth that is the most typical candidate for a crown or root canal AND crown later in life.
Fluoride greatly reduces the incidence of smooth surface decay, and x-rays detect between the tooth smooth surface decay while it can be reversed or treated via a tiny bonded filling.
Thanks to the innerwebs, we now have anti-fluoride patients that never used to exist. Sadly they also buy into the no x-ray philosophy, and these parents who believe they are protecting their kids from the evils of dentistry in general don't encourage or supervise flossing which is the ONLY other way to reduce the incidence of in between the tooth decay. Those poor kids now have mouths like their grandparents did.....huge fillings in all back teeth at 17 years of age, destined for future problems and constant re-construction throughout life.
Of course, they assume I am just a part of the conspiracy and funding my race entry fees with the kickbacks I'm receiving from corporate America. Nobody wants to believe that I never get rich off the ones who listen: brush, floss, fluoride, x-rays, limit sweets. etc.
We have three kids, age 32, 24, and 22, and live in a community supplied by well water. I provided fluoride suppliments to them all along, and supervised flossing. Not a cavity yet between their 96 teeth combined.
I gotta go, I've got another window open in which I'm purchasing a grounding sheet.

Hi Longboard,
I agree with you on the flouride issue. I find it amazing that even with people I work with in the engineering field, some have this bizzare notion that flouride is an evil thrust upon us by the aluminium smelting industry or some such nonsense. The science backs up the idea that flouride reduces tooth decay. Back in my grandparents day they had all their teeth removed at 20 and were fitted with false ones to save them the huge dental bills later in life. Even in Queensland (north eastern australia) they refuse water flouridation because you have a vocal, non scientific group that peddle false information and manage to influence government into halting a program of flouridation that would have helped them. Queensland is the only state in Australia that doesn't have it and they also have the worst teeth. It seems that emotional arguments beat science in most cases, unfortunately.

Neil

Back to possible dangers of cancerous stuff being absorbed by the soles of the feet. That's exactly the question I asked myself when I decided to try out barefoot!
But then I thought of all the cats and dogs touching these surfaces during all their life without shoes on their paws: of course, there are cats and dogs with cancer. There are also shoe wearing humans with cancer. I'm not sure the cancer in animals is caused exclusively by cancerous stuff on the ground as cancer in shoe wearing humans has definitely other origins...
So in the end I decided that barefoot on asphalt is probably less dangerous (in terms of cancer) than say smoking or eating weird E -numbers in your food...

Not to mention fluoride in the water we drink or the toothpaste we use. Something to be very concern about.
Not to mention vaccines, which routinely kill millions of people who might otherwise have gone on to live happy polio-enchanced lives.
never thought about that. i worry more about the chemicals they put on and in our food. there are also lots of chemicals in your clothes, house, car, etc. it's scary the chemicals we now live with. to stop living because of fear is a life not lived.
Go with full EMF protection.
www.lessemf.com/personal.html
Wow, a real gem Sid!

Not to mention vaccines, which routinely kill millions of people who might otherwise have gone on to life happy polio-enchanced lives.

Given that the author of the quote below is a highly published 35 year professor of chiropractic it should be at least read and taken into consideration when deciding on whether or not to vaccinate your kids. Better yet, read the full article linked to with an open mind.

http://www.tihcij.com/Articles/Anti...ions-for-Public-Health-Ethics.aspx?id=0000377

"There is little question that vaccination has been one of the greatest successes of modern public health.1 And it is equally without question that the benefits of vaccination outweigh its risks. Given this, it is surprising to find that there remain many people who reject vaccination for their children."

Given that the author of the quote below is a highly published 35 year professor of chiropractic it should be at least read and taken into consideration when deciding on whether or not to vaccinate your kids. Better yet, read the full article linked to with an open mind.

http://www.tihcij.com/Articles/Anti...ions-for-Public-Health-Ethics.aspx?id=0000377

"There is little question that vaccination has been one of the greatest successes of modern public health.1 And it is equally without question that the benefits of vaccination outweigh its risks. Given this, it is surprising to find that there remain many people who reject vaccination for their children."
I was being facetious Alan; I don't believe losing the use of one's lower limbs enhances one's life at all. I've seen plenty of polio victims in Africa, including a musician I worked with while documenting spirit possession ceremonies.

In general, I don't believe it is possible for medical professionals and researchers to be, as whole, either so ignorant or greedy that they would prescribe harmful vaccines or flouride. I know you don't have to be genius or saint to get into medical school, but I do believe most doctors and dentists are smart, moral people who want to help people get/stay healthy.

I have a family member who buys into all the Dr. Mercola/Alex Jones stuff, along with climate change denial and all that, so I'm well aware of the arguments. I'm a cynic and skeptic by nature, but I also like to believe I have a good feel for what is reasonable (wars waged in the service of powerful corporate, financial, and geopolitical interests, not democracy and freedom, for example), and what's not (corporations colluding with dentists and doctors to profit mutually from toxic products that inflict harm on their patients).

I was being facetious Alan
I knew that, I was just adding some info since I figured there would be plenty of anti-vaccine people reading this and challenging your obvious pro-vaccine stance.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS