Compression wear for numbness?

ajb422

Barefooters
Sep 28, 2010
Awhile back I had posted about going totally numb in my feet, arms and hands during colder temperatures (although not cold we are still talking low 50s here). I've been able to stop it for the most part by adding more clothes to my core/legs/head/hands area but my hands and feet are still going numb. I really can't put much more on than what I'm wearing (long sleeve tech shirt, hoodie (with hat up), beanie, gloves, pants). I've got to believe at this point I just have horrible circulation. Which got me thinking maybe compression calf and arm sleeves would help with this. If compression promotes circulation and poor circulation is what is making my feet and hands numb when its even the least bit chilly it would seem logical right?

Then again as was jokingly (maybe) pointed out, is this just motion control for something other than feet?

What do you all think? Worth a shot?

HMMM, I to have had a

HMMM, I to have had a problem with this on occasion. I have found that * sometimes * I have numbness issues when I have possibly cut some circulation to my hands from wearing a lot on my arms (extra long sleeved clothing). I do have Raynaud's so that is another thing.

On the legs though, that is another matter.

I do use compression sleeves or some of those "old lady" compression hose you can buy at the drugstore. LOL

That seems to work well actually. I started that when I first went vff and BF because it helped the calf agitation untill I got used to the new and better form.

Peanut

ajb, I'm sorry to hear you're

ajb, I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble. I wear compression sleeves on my calves and maybe that's what's helping the feet, but in any case I love them and won't run without them now. Is the numbing during the run and/or after? For me the first mile or so depending on the temp is rough, then my feet and hands go hot. If I stop and let my torso get any bit of chilled my hands go white and numb so I have to keep a dry sweatshirt ready to strip off the wet stuff as soon as I stop. Also, hot water is amazingly quick. I read that you dislike anything in your hands, but maybe start out with some hot water in hand helds to keep your hands warm?

The numbing comes during

The numbing comes during and gets progressively worse throughout unless it warms up significantly. My feet are normally fine by the end but my hands take much much longer. I've seriously considered putting mittens over my gloves but again at 50 degrees I feel ridiculous. As soon as I get home I hop in the shower since I am getting ready for school so I warm up real quick. With everyone's love of calf sleeves I may just invest in a pair anyways and figure I'll use them for recovery after some of my longer harder runs and see if they help my feet warm up faster. If they do I guess I can get the arm sleeves too.

I like the warm water bottle idea. I can always use disposable bottles and if I get sick of carrying it I can just drink it all when I hit the trash can at two miles. It probably would of cooled down by then anyways.

lower leg compression is

lower leg compression is helping this beginner. It is ever so slight. I can testify that it is not psychological. I wear for lower calf stability, but there is a certain circulatory warmth as well. Never hot, just like a blanket of comfort. I feel what I feel. I then take action.

I'm thinking eventually to have full " SKINS " compression clothing in running and recovery. Patients with DVT, or Vericose Veins have been wearing compressions for life time. They aren't just wearin' it for Sh%$# and giggles.

slowrider

This is interesting. My feet

This is interesting.

My feet and hands are always cold, unless I'm running (and dry ... if I'm wet and cold my feet and hands quickly get cold, even while running). At rest, my hands and feet are usually cold even if I'm comfortable otherwise. I've learned that just wearing more clothing helps quite a bit. In the winter I usually wear 2 or 3 layers of long sleeves. Sometimes my core is a little too warm, but my hands and feet do stay a little warmer that way. I have a desk job and sit still most of the time, so I've also learned that it helps to just get up and walk around once in awhile.

Since my feet get cold easily I haven't been interested in pushing my limits by running barefoot below a dry 37 degrees. However, I was wondering the other day if I wore, say, 5 layers during a run in the mid 20's, whether I'd be able to stand running barefoot. My core woud probably be burning up, but maybe the really warm blood moving through my feet would keep them warm!? I just might try it sometime soon.

Ok good to know someone else

Ok good to know someone else has done this with success. I hate wearing a large amount of clothing when I run. As it is the two long sleeve shirts make me feel confined and uncomfortable. I really can't imagine having to put another shirt on, especially since I was already sweating with those on. Just my feet and hands that are still overly cold so hopefully this works out and fixes my issues :)