Compression shorts

Bill B

Barefooters
Dec 28, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Was in a sporting goods store today, and saw compression shorts by Under Armor. Anyone wear them? Do they work? Do you wear them under a pair of shorts or by themselves?

I used to use Under Armour under a pair of shorts, but they were constantly stretching out and causing their own chafing after one year's use. I have starting using X-Bionic running shorts/pants which are actually supposed to be worn alone, but I still wear shorts over them.

I have a question for you more techy minded runners. Does anyone make shorts with a compression shorts built in? I hate the stupid bikini type liners in most running shorts as they seem to chaffe me where the edge of the liner comes in contact with the skin. I've cut out a couple of these liners in shorts I have and will use compression shorts under them on my longer runs, but it's kind of a pain. Would rather just have one pair of shorts to deal with. I've contemplated buying shorts with no liner and just going all natural underneath because it causes less chaffing than those liners.

Reactions: Sid
I have a couple pairs of compression shorts from Walmart. I mostly wear for colder weather, but they've lasted for several years.
I wear them as a base layer, my opinion is that men should not wear compression shorts in public. :eek:

Reactions: NickW
I wear compression shorts by themselves almost exclusively for summer running - they really prevent chafing, plus I hate the feeling of loose fabric around my legs when I run.
Of course, I like wearing Speedos to the beach, too, even though I no longer have the body for it! :rolleyes:
Much like DNEChris, I have no shame! :D

Yes.

A bit on the expensive side, but Lululemon makes EXCELLENT men's running gear with the full length (mid thigh) compression short underneath.

I highly recommend them. http://shop.lululemon.com/products/...-32985?cc=0001&skuId=3438480&catId=men-shorts

I train in them and run them in the Marathon every year. Totally worth the price of admission
Thanks Pilot. I also noticed roadrunner makes a pair ($35.99) http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRM1048/ and pearl izumi makes a pair as well ($79.99)http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/PZW751/. I need to replace the shorts I have but I have been hesitating because I didn't want to get back into shorts that chaffe me pretty badly on runs over 5 miles.

I have a question for you more techy minded runners. Does anyone make shorts with a compression shorts built in?
There are several options. You may wish to consider a 2 in 1 short, made by several companies. They have a compression liner with a loose fitting outer short. I've had less chafing with a compression running short, which is basically a thicker single-layer compression short. I've had less chafing with both types when I pull down the shorts slightly to allow for movement, rather than having them hiked up tight.

What about women's compression wear? Does anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking for these just recently. I prefer to the shorter boy short (3.5 inch inseam) to the longer length, but I'm also interested in finding some compression capris.

Nick, if you get the lululemon, please don't wear them around me. i don't want to find out if they're see through like the womens line is.

Zap, if you get the lululemon please wear them around me. so long as they are still the see through ones.

Reactions: Sid and zapmamak
Nick, if you get the lululemon, please don't wear them around me. i don't want to find out if they're see through like the womens line is.

Zap, if you get the lululemon please wear them around me. so long as they are still the see through ones.

Well damn, Mike. You exposed the secret. I won't be buying the Lululemons. :smuggrin:

Common sense says to test something out before trying them on a long journey, but I bought the Asics shorts right before my Grand Canyon hike figuring if they were uncomfortable, I could always take them off and pack them out. Well, they worked perfectly and now I'm a huge fan. I like shorts with liners, but like Nick have the chafing issue on the inner thigh. I do wear shorts over the compression shorts however. Don't like the "Where's the beef?" looks. A little self conscious in that department. Anyway, long runs yes, shorter runs no, they are a little constricting and I also tend to overheat.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090