comparing kso and flows

don hiser

Barefooters
Dec 3, 2010
Sorry if this has been posted and beat into the ground already, I searched and didn't find the answer. I own a pair of kso's for days when it's rainy or my feet are just feeling a little beat up, and with winter here, am looking at a pair of flows to run around in while it is cold and snowy. My question is, how is the ground feel when comparing kso's and flows? I like the way the kso's still give me decent ground feedback, how much difference is there thickness-wise and ground feedback-wise?

Thank You!!!

Don, can we throw Bikilas

Don, can we throw Bikilas into this as well? I just got a pair for Christmas and I LOVE them, but the ground feel isn't quite as much as what I was hoping for. I tried on a pair of Flows for sizing and thought the ground feel was better, but then again it was the first time I'd had VFFs on and I was only able to try them out on the fake rocky surfaces in the store where people are supposed to test hiking boots. The Bikilas are supposed to be the actual running shoe, but I wonder if in their desire to design a shoe specifically for running, they stabilized it too much? Might the KSOs, Flows, and/or other older designs be better?

I have a pair of flows, and

I have a pair of flows, and it appears the soles are identical between the two (when I compared them in the store). If you're married to getting VFFs, I would consider treks or bikilas for winter for the traction. The flows have stayed nice and toasty for me but the traction is total garbage. Also, if you're out BF and plan to use the VFFs to escape from the cold, note that they are really hard to put on with cold toes. If my toes get the slightest bit numb I can't get them to fit right and wind up hobbling home, so I either do entire runs in them, switch to my (ugh) nikes, or I run on days when I don't need them.

I'm actually considering spending another 100 bucks +- (ive bought 3 pairs of shoes in the last 5 months) on some merrell trail gloves because the flows have been so problematic.

Thanks for the input from

Thanks for the input from both of you! Chelsea, I was looking at bikilas, but I had heard their insole/ outsole combo was either thicker or felt thicker, so I chose my KSOs. I was looking into the Flows for when it is snowy and cold out to keep my feet warmer than my KSOs do. I maybe should try the bikilas on though, I've heard that they are nice! Smelph, I had planned on using them for whole runs when it is snowy and stuff out, I'm not tough enough for total barefoot in the snow for more than 10-15 minutes at a time haha. I haven't heard of the Merrell Trail Gloves, I may have to look into them too. Thanks again for the input guys, I appreciate it!

Like you Chelsea, I got

Like you Chelsea, I got bikilas from Santa. Until then I had no experience with minimalist footwear. My goal is to use them till it warmes up enough to go total barefoot. I've found them to be great in the snow and ice due to the traction and thin enough to feel most if the road. They do keep my feet warm. It's been in the teens and twenties here with snow. I do intend to buy a pair of KSO's for trails and kayaking.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test