Coming back from injury- advice please

yallayalla

Barefooters
Apr 14, 2011
Had an annoying calf strain, received the graston technique from my PT, which was very helpful. I'm now pain free, even jogged around with the kids this past weekend. I was at a max of 3.5 miles prior (min shoes or BF for the last year and a half, ran a 5 K last summer) and I plan on starting at 1/4 mile on my first run back. My question is, when and at what rate should I start increasing my mileage? Before my injury I signed up for a 15 K this July, and I'd like to run it. Possible?

I can't say whether or not you'll be ready for running a 15K like a rock star. Make your goal just to finish, and walk it if you have to, and you'll be fine.

Getting back into it, I would try 1/4 mile at a time, no more than a mile at a time to start with, and just feel your way through it. Take a day off in between runs, until you can safely build up your miles, and make sure to reassess how you feel the next day. Sore is good; pain is bad.

Thanks! I'll do just that. Time is not an issue for me anymore. In my shoe days of running I hated it. HATED it. But I was driven by time. Now, since my awakening, I don't care about how long it takes, or how fast I run. Just like to do it.

Take care of those calves, too! Roll'm and ice'm and DON'T stretch before running, and not much, if any, after. There are some great PT folks posting how to take good care here. Ask TJ if you need help finding what's been put up.
Have fun and good luck! July should be doable with care. 15k isn't a Marathon. BTW, is it a trail or road run?

I've never been a stretcher- always had very tight hammys. Every PT I've been to marvels how I need to stretch them. I recently read a NY times article on stretching, which revealed it really doesn't do anything for you, but its not necessarily BAD for you.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090