Come get to know Mike Schwinn

I hope this is the right pace for an intro thread.

Short version: HI I'm mike. 3v1L Schiwnn over at the other place. I used to run then stopped because I got hurt then started again and then stopped again and now I am doing it barefoot:L

Long Version:

About 12 years ago I attempted to start running on my own. So after years of smoking, overeating and inactivity I put on a pair of sneakers, I don't t even think they were running shoes and headed out the door. My roommate had once mapped a one-mile course on his one and only attempt at running. So out the door I went with the "Rocky" theme running in my head, down Kavon avenue and hung a right on St Paul's street. Straight up the hill I went and promptly stopped and thought I was going to throw up. I had made it almost 2 tenths of a mile. I walked the rest of the way home sweating and holding my side. I did this every night never taking a day off. Neither rain nor hail nor sleet nor snow nor heat of day nor dark of night shall keep this runner from the swift completion (or attempted completion) of his appointed rounds. I never made it the complete one-mile without stopping. I did go out for longer distances, 2- 4 miles at a time but never without walking and it wasn't fun. I never had a smile on my face while running. Eventually I even entered quite a few 5K races. My times were ok for me 33:00 minutes my best being 29:48. But I always had to stop and walk a good portion of the race. I never ran the whole way through.

Soon I developed horrible shin splints and my feet and back hurt constantly, but I kept on torturing myself. I finally bagged a father's day race because of the pain. Just the thought of running that race seemed like a chore, and at that moment I stopped running for years. I went back to my old ways of overeating, smoking. For almost 10 years I lived a sedentary life-style of beer, chicken wings, fast food and more beer. I packed on the pounds and coated my lungs with so much tar I could have paved my driveway with it.

I was that way up until April of 2008. Pushing the limits of my skin I topped out over 300lbs. I started to change how I was eating, because I couldn't' stand how I looked. I couldn't see my feet past my belly. I had a horrible case of the Dickey-Do's. The changes in eating started to help and I was feeling a little better about myself. In June 2008 I figured try would try quitting smoking again for the 100th time', because I could afford to buy a pack of smokes that day and didn't feel like going to the bank or ATM. Every time I was craving a smoke I went for a walk instead of going to the store. I did that every time I craved one. Eventually the walks turned into shorts "jogs". Maybe I should try running again I thought to myself. So I did a Google search on beginning running programs and found the C25K program.
I completed the program and kept going. I actually enjoyed running for a while. 6 mile runs where fun and my 12 mile LSR on Sunday mornings was favorite. I thought I was doing everything right this time. I went to my local running store and had my gait analyzed and was told I needed these special motion controls shoes .I googled and researched shoes and spent boat loads of money on Brooks Beasts and Asics Gel Evolutions' . Soon the demons of the past started to rear their ugly heads, but I kept on churning out the miles. I figured that because I was a Clydesdale runner (big and slow) I was going to have aches and pains. Soon the PF set in, and the pain in my back would keep me prone on the floor for hours. I got a half dozen cortisone shots in my feet and was told to buy some orthotics and I would be able to live relatively pain-free. Still I kept running but my mileage kept getting less and less. Then it happened again. While resting the back and legs I figured I would wait one more day to get back out on the road. One day turned into a week. That week turned into a month and eventually into a year. I picked up smoking again for a bit and some but not all of the weight came back. All the while I really wanted to get back out and run. I missed it. I stopped smoking (again) started working on the eating habits. Then one day I saw a local news report on this guy Chris McSomething running in some homemade sandals and barefoot. "What a wack-a-do this guy is" I said to myself. "Everyone knows you need the proper shoes to run" Then somehow his book landed in my hands. So I figured I would give it a quick read. "Huh?" "what is this?" He was broken like me. Son of Bi***! THIS GUY DOES MAKE SOME SENSE!! I went back out and stated researching barefoot running. The more I read the more I was interested. Soon I started follow a barefoot training plan I found (over at the other place) and low and behold here I am getting back out on the road again. I really haven't had too much trouble getting used to going barefoot as I am almost always go barefoot in my day to day life. Now I don't really have that much mileage under my belt yet but get about a mile a day. I am really working on my conditioning the rest of my body to get back running.Well that's about all there is

Welcome. Your not the only

Welcome. Your not the only Born to run inspired BF Runner.

I started the trek in 2007 with my first pair of VFF's and some attempts to run barefoot but I could never give myself permission to go full out. Too many people said I would hurt myself. The book gave me permission to try again and I have stuck with it. It totally sux that I needed a total stranger and book to give me the approval to do this.

Well, you're finally in the

Well, you're finally in the right place for all the support and guidance you'll need.

It ticks me off that so many overweight people desire to be fit, give it a try, end up injured a great deal of the time BECAUSE OF THEIR STINKING SHOES, and end up giving up altogether on a healthy lifestyle. Yes, there are other factors and responsible parties (the overweight person-number one, the fast food industry, etc.), but if the shoe manufacturers would start focusing on ONLY making healthier running shoes, then perhaps we can start to take a bite out of obesitity. Can't the shoe industry see the part they play in all of this? Do they care?

Glad you're here, Mike. Welcome!

Mike, thanks so much for

Mike, thanks so much for sharing your story! I hope we can provide that extra encouragement to keep you moving towards success. I quit smoking over 8 year ago, and running and fitness are integral to keeping myself away from the stuff. Good luck and welcome!

Interesting how the

Interesting how the heavy/tall people always seem to get matched up with the Brooks Beasts.

Welcome aboard Mike. Thanks for sharing your story and hope you stick around.

Welcome aboard Mike! Congrats

Welcome aboard Mike! Congrats to you for seeking a healthier lifestyle and giving running another shot after having so many bad experiences with it. I too was a smoker, smoked for 8yrs then had my first baby, quite and have been hell bent on making my body strong and healthy since...not only for myself but to set a good example for my kiddos.

I hope you find joy along your barefoot running journey! Happy Bare Trails!

Shacky wrote:Interesting how

Shacky said:
Interesting how the heavy/tall people always seem to get matched up with the Brooks Beasts.

lol, you're so right, Shacky!

Welcome to the Society Mike, stick around, you'll find lot's of encouragement here :bigsmile:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS