Cold Toes!

boner

Barefooters
Nov 6, 2010
Has anyone found a way to keep your toes warm in VFFs, either KSOs or Flows? I've tried Injinjis Nuwool, was ok, not great. I'm thinking of ordering some silk toe socks from ToeToe, a UK company. I've heard silk is good as a baselayer for warmth. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Welcome, Boner!

Welcome, Boner!

I ran 7 miles and a bit with

I ran 7 miles and a bit with CNEChris in Central Park, NYC yesterday morning. He had already run 2 miles to rendesvous. The temp was either 28 (per CNN tower) or 30 per the other building top display. We both had on VFF's, mine Bikilas and Chris had on KSO's I believe. We both had not a bit of trouble with cold toes. I think the key lies in going out warmed up and well dressed more than in the VFF's themselves. I don't have much experience running at lower temps in VFF's yet.

I don't mind BF at 35 degrees and above if my course is dry, and, again, I'm warmed up and dressed right.

For me bundling up everything

For me bundling up everything else is key. I wear 3 layers of shirts and 2 layers of pants in addition to hat and gloves. My feet have been plenty warm in my flows down to 25F in the snow, But since I've been pushing BF as cold as I can I don't have a ton of runs in them yet.

As the others said, make sure

As the others said, make sure your core is warm an the feet will respond. Wear more than you normally would and also a warm hat and gloves. Going minimal (feet wise) in the winter is an experiment and you have to see what works for you. Some people feel the cold easier than others. Keep the core overly warm and it will dump excess heat through your feet.

I haven't put my Vibrams on

I haven't put my Vibrams on yet (which had been my plan for when it got colder -- at the same time having no experience with it whatsoever). But when I do put them on, I'm expecting it to be warm compared to what I've been doing the past couple weeks, lol!

I have been pushing to see how long I can run barefoot in the cold. Yesterday it was 31 degrees Fahrenheit and I experienced a very comfortable barefoot run -- which amazed me. My feet did not feel intolerably cold.

I am not sure why it was so great yesterday, but I definitely think it had to do with how bundled up I was on top (tights with technical pants on top, warm compression turtleneck with Tshirt on top and then a giant hoodie sweatshirt, hat and gloves).

I also think other things I have been doing have been helping my feet adapt to the cold. I have been exposing my feet to the cold for short periods during my non-running activities (wearing flip-flops to and from the car to run errands) I have also been going barefoot in the house for periods of time. Even though the house is warmer than outside, it is still colder walking around the house barefoot than in socks and shoes.

One other thing I did was that I temporarily sacrificed distance in order to do "cold conditioning" (just like one might sacrifice distance for a while to begin barefoot running altogether). I had a sense that I was starting all over again as I conditioned my feet for the cold, and I have been coming to the conclusion that all the rules for a beginner barefoot runner apply to being a beginner COLD barefoot runner as well -- don't do too much too soon, take a day off in-between for rest to allow adaptations to set in, etc... I cut my 4 miles back to 1 mile and have now worked up to 2.75. I realize that's kind of baby compared to all you folks who run longer distances out there, so maybe being out there longer will make the toes colder eventually. I guess I will find that out.

But in the meantime I actually got to the point at the end of my run yesterday where I felt so good that I was sure the temperature had gone up to about 40 degrees. I was standing on the corner and felt a breeze on my toes and it just felt like a spring wind. I'm not kidding. But when I checked, it had only gone up 1 degree. I never would have thought such a thing was possible.

Gee, most of what I wrote here was going to be a post on my blog this morning. Oh, well! You saw it here first!

I temporarily sacrificed

I temporarily sacrificed distance in order to do "cold conditioning" (just like one might sacrifice distance for a while to begin barefoot running altogether). I had a sense that I was starting all over again as I conditioned my feet for the cold, and I have been coming to the conclusion that all the rules for a beginner barefoot runner apply to being a beginner COLD barefoot runner as well.

Brilliant advice/observation from a newish barefoot runner! Well said, Fresca!

Thank you all for the

Thank you all for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of dressing the rest of myself warmer than I normally would, that makes sense.

Also, I just ordered a pair of VFF Flow-Treks (not available in the US, from a UK company (www.purekit.com). I'm getting them a size up so they'll better accomodate toe socks. I'm hoping the neoprene upper will offer warmth and the Trek outsole traction for muddy, snowy conditions. I do most of my running on trails.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I started my last run with

I started my last run with socks and huaraches for 1 mile then switched to barefoot. I was wearing hat, gloves, 3 layers of shirt/sweaters, long pants. Temp was in the 30s and it was quite windy but my feet felt good for about 8 or 9 miles. At that point I started being weak, probably caused by mild dehydration or lack of food since I didn't bring anything to eat or drink with me and was probably not super hydrated when I started. I should also mention that it's my longest run so far, so I'm not used to the distance.

It was hard to finish the 10 miles loop and toward the end I noticed that my 2nd toe was white and numb. I didn't want to stop to put on the socks since I was so close to home and cotton socks would not have warmed me up anyway.

I wonder if the numbness can be caused by the lack of energy and/or dehydration.

AngieBee recommended taking hot cider and I will definatly try that for my next run. It will provide hydration, sugar, warmth and be so yummy. That means I will have to plan a route that loops around the house since I don't think I can expect to carry hot cider and have it stay warm for over 1h.

Boner, let us know what you think of the Flow-Trek and try wearing more layer and drinking something hot before or during the run.

I have never heard of such an

I have never heard of such an animal, a cross-breed (Flows/Treks), Boner. I checked, and they do ship to "the rest of the world."

So as some of you know, I get pretty hot when I run, even in the winter. I normally choose to dress lightly and wear a short sleeve shirt. This afternoon, I decided to try all the advice on this thread by dressing more warmly, in layers with knitted cap, etc., and I've got to say, I think it really did keep my feet "warmer" this time around. I ran barefoot on Sunday in 41 degrees F and barefoot again today in 41 degrees, and I was much more comfortable foot-wise today. Although I felt really hot in my middle and my head and face when I stopped to stretch my calves, my feet felt only cold, not frozen. Hmmmm. I will have to experiment with this again. That's one of the things I like about running barefoot, the experimentation.

I also noticed on the site

I also noticed on the site some five toed socks they sell made by Vibram called Lizard Socks. I have not heard of those before either.

Smelph wrote:Just beware of

Smelph wrote:

Just beware of cold and wet. 30 degrees wet is FAR colder than 30 degrees dry. If you plan to run barefoot in cold/wet, take along some rescue shoes that are easy to put on (i.e. Not your VFFs).

I read your blog post about this, Smelph and it was very interesting and informative. I have not had a WET cold day yet, and am not looking forward to that at all.

Smelph is right.  I have run

Smelph is right. I have run in the low 20s with less than that for windchill and I actually enjoy it if the roads are dry. I did a run a month ago and it was 45º but the roads were wet and it was miserable for me. I felt like I was running on knives. So now I know what works (and doesn't work) for me!

I agree with the bundling up.

I agree with the bundling up. I ran the other day in the low 40s barefoot wearing arm warmers, tights, shorts, 2 shirts, and a hat and the feet were fine. The hands were fine too. My head was HOT and sweaty! Lol. It's weird but it works!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test