Choosing the Correct Pro for Advice

Longboard

Chapter Presidents
May 13, 2010
We have seen over and over again how runners as well as reporters default to Podiatrists when interested in information regarding barefoot running and activity.
It makes perfect sense initially, since a Podiatrist is a doctor of podiatric medicine, or simply put a medical Dr. specializing in the foot.
The problems with that are two fold, the Podiatrist's lack of training in any matters barefoot along with the obvious financial incentive to prescribe orthotics.
I've noted recently that most of the studies relating to barefoot activity that are positive are being performed by Physiatrists, Physical Therapists, Biologists, some Orthopedic Surgeons, but rarely Podiatrists.
Identifying the correct professional to consult is very difficult for most situations in life, and the story I just read about reminds me of the importance in doing so.

I met Emily Schaller this past August when she was manning a booth promoting a few upcoming races. In the course of our conversation I found out that she is a frequent race promoter, race director, runner, cyclist , triathlete , and tireless supporter of Cystic Fibrosis organizations and issues. I was completely oblivious to the fact that she herself has the condition, and that we had actually communicated via email prior to that meeting regarding a race she was directing and whether or not it would be barefoot friendly. Yes, she was very helpful and definitely barefoot understanding.
Emily posted this on her FB page yesterday, it is the story of a woman who aborted her fetus in the second trimester after genetic testing revealed that the baby would have Cystic Fibrosis.
The issue of course gets complicated because it involves genetic testing, abortion, selection, etc. but one thing that stood out in my mind in the comments on her FB page was this:

"Why is a geneticist advising about cf? Why on earth would expectant parents not be referred to a cf doctor to discuss the disease??"

It made me think.....after all, the geneticist probably has never had any experience with CF, just the gene for it. The mother never would have had a clue who to consult for more info, one would think the geneticist would recommend a CF professional or group to consult with before making the decision.

Anyways, here is the link to the story for anyone interested:

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/08/our_impossible_parenting_choice/
But for something REALLY uplifting, read this story in last month's The Atlantic profiling the amazing Emily Schaller:
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/09/beating-cystic-fibrosis/280048/

It made me think.....after all, the geneticist probably has never had any experience with CF, just the gene for it. The mother never would have had a clue who to consult for more info, one would think the geneticist would recommend a CF professional or group to consult with before making the decision.

I would have been all over the place, consulting many different types of doctors, and getting many opinions...just like you did with your degenerative disease, Board...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test