Check me out on AM 950 this weekend!

saypay45

Chapter Presidents
May 24, 2010
Hi all,

Thanks to TJ, I will be a guest on the radio show Raising the Consciousness on AM 950 this Sunday at 1pm. I will be talking with the hosts about barefoot and minimalist running. I'm not sure how many of you can listen live, but I will be getting a podcast of the show to share with BRS members.

I was a wedding DJ in college, but this is my first time on the radio! Wish me luck! Any advice about appearing on the radio, or what to study up on beforehand to sound smart?

Practice, practice,

Practice, practice, practice. I would practice with a friend. Have a friend ask you typical questions and then answer them in a relaxed way. You don't want to memorize answers. The last thing you want to do is sound like you are reading from a script.

Good call.  I am also looking

Good call. I am also looking at some transcripts of interviews that other BRS members have done with the media and practicing my answers to those same questions in the car, the shower, etc.

I'll be looking for it SP,

I'll be looking for it SP, awesome opportunity!

There have been countless

There have been countless interviews done on radio and TV and print the last few years. You'll have no problem coming up with good examples.

if it helps i did an

if it helps i did an interview earlier this year and i didn't practice. i just decided to let my brain do it's thing and aside from not remembering at the moment what year bikila won the olympic marathon barefoot i think it kept me pretty relaxed and natural. when it was over the interviewer who does that all the time said it was the best interview of a non public personality he had done. i say just go the relaxed and fresh route but maybe that's just me?

here's my interview

Thanks Jimmy.  I've done a

Thanks Jimmy. I've done a lot of Q&A in front of schools and community groups for my job as a prosecutor, and I don't prepare for those meetings either because you really can't anticipate the questions you'll be asked. This, unlike criminal law, isn't something that I've been doing for years and years so that the answers to these questions come naturally. There also seems to be a somewhat standard set of questions that go along with these interviews (i.e., How did you get started? What do you like about it? What are the benefits?).

I think a little prep work wouldn't hurt if the resources are there...which they seem to be. I agree that one shouldn't be too rigid and a certain lack of preparation is good to appear natural.

I'm excited.  Just go with

I'm excited. Just go with what you know, SP. You'll do just fine. Please email me the podcast as soon as you get it, so I can put it on the home page.

Well there's probably tons of

Well there's probably tons of stations on the 950 frequency. Do you have the call letters? Maybe they also broadcast on the net.

you've done enough say that

you've done enough say that i think you'll be fine. speak more from your experiences than anything else. it's really easy to answer a question you may not know the exact answer to by starting with the phrase "well for me" cuz boom it's yours and yours alone so credibility is automatically established.

i'm with you as i've done a lot of public speaking as a former minister and the bottom line is that when you speak to what you know and it comes from somewhere passionate you can't go wrong

Looks like AM 950 KTNF in

Looks like AM 950 KTNF in Minnesota. http://www.am950ktnf.com/

I just checked out the page - I didn't see a place where it's broadcast online, but to be honest I didn't look real hard. I did see a "pod cast" button, though.

Nice job! Good luck on the interview!

Yeah, just click on the

Yeah, just click on the podcast button on that page and put in a MN zipcode (55109 will do) and you can listen live. It says Windows or Mac, but it worked on my Linux Mint machine.

Yeah, the show is called

Yeah, the show is called Raising the Consciousness, and the show website is www.raisingtheconsciousness.com. I called the host yesterday, and I will be on at around 1:30 p.m. central time. Sounds like it will be a pretty low key affair, where I will mostly be talking about the health benefits of the biodynamics of barefoot running.

The podcast of the show will be on their website after it airs. We also have permission to post it on our home page, which TJ says she will do.

Most definitely.

Most definitely.

Thanks Jimmy.  I had a lot of

Thanks Jimmy. I had a lot of fun. But yeah...the hosts were a little Delicious Dish. I was warned ahead of time that they weren't runners, and that they were a little "theater" (the producer's own word).

You rocked it, SP!  I am so

You rocked it, SP! I am so proud of you. This is a really, really good interview. If you all are interested, SP's interview begins around 15 minutes into the session. Again, you are a great ambassador for BFR and the BRS.

The only complaint I have, which seems to be the norm with those who interview us from the BRS, is they keep calling us the Barefoot Running Society! Argh! That's Tellman's group. We are the Barefoot Runners Society! No matter how many times, SP said our name...Barefoot RUNNERS Society, they kept calling it the Barefoot Running Society! Argh!

I noticed that too TJ.  It

I noticed that too TJ. It was written wrong in their scripts that they used to do intros. I did remind them over the commercial breaks that they were saying our name wrong. They were denser than a pound cake.

Ouch!  Yea, I got that

Ouch! Yea, I got that feeling too just by listening to their radio show.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS