Charlevoix Marathon RR

dirtdemon77

Barefooters
Apr 4, 2010
This was the 4th annual running of the Charleviox Marathon Festival of races, put on By Goodboy Events and Race Services. The day includes a 5k, 10k, half and full marathon run and walk. This year the event drew over 1500 runners. Everything is well organized and goes off like clockwork. Its a small Northern Michigan event that has a great "big race" feel to it.

This is my third year attending the event. The first time I ran the 10k and had a great time. Last year, I ran the marathon, making my first Boston qualifying attempt. I fell well short of the 3:15 that I needed, but still pr'd at 3:36.

This year was my first attempt at running a marathon in vff's. Milling around the starting area at 6 in the morning, chatting with other runners and my wife and kids did little to calm the pre race jitters. Usually I'm pretty calm before a race, but I have never gone over 16 miles in my vff's, and I was one of only two of 338 runners wearing vff's. I also put a lot more pressure on myself as a mininalist runner. I want to be a good representitive of what the BFR/minimalist movement is all about.

The first 3.5 miles of the race are on quiet, shaded neighborhood streets, where homeowners put out sprinklers and signs for the runners. Then the race takes to a smooth, paved bike path along the Lake Michigan shore line. It is an out and back course with a couple of moderate hills.

The race started right on time, and I spent the first 3 miles trying to slow down. I have a habit of going out to fast, which is fine in a 5 or 10k, but has been disastrous for me in marathons. I had 3 goals for this race...go under 3:30, run even splits, and finish in the top 10% of the field. I had to keep telling myself that the pack would come back to me if I just held my pace. It took much more self discipline than I am used to showing to keep from chasing down the pack.

About 6.5 miles in, my wife and kids were waiting, and informed me I was in 50th place. At first I was bummed, as last year I finished 16th overall. Then after checking my watch and seeing I was actually under my goal pace by a couple of minutes, I relaxed. As I neared the turn around, I started counting the runners ahead of me and found that I had move up a little to 45th.I felt really good as I made the halfway point in 1:41.

The run back felt great. My fluid intake was going well as I alternated water and gatorade from one aid station to the next. On the run back, I picked runners off at an alarming rate. The pack had broken up and they were coming back to me. My early control was paying off. I kept checking my watch, thinking something was wrong with it. I was actually picking up time. I was even chatting with other runners before passing them. I felt stronger as the race went on. It wasn't until mile 24 that I started to slow a little. With 1.5 miles to go I saw a runner colapse at the last aid station. It was amazing how quick EMS was there to help him.

I passed a few more runners in the last mile, and was thrilled to see my family and hundreds of spectators cheering at the finish. I high fived my 12 year old son as I came down the last 200 meters towards the finsh. It was such a rush to look up and see the clock. I broke 3:30 for the first time in a race, clocking in at 3:26. I ended up 4th in the 35-39 age group and 31st overall.

At the finish line they have one of the best food spreads I've ever seen at a race. And I love the results system. 15 minutes after I had finished, I was able to go to a touch screen monitor, enter my bib #, and see where I had finished. This event is well organized, has great aid stations and post race food, fantastic tech shirts, and the course is very BF friendly. If your in Northern Michigan in late June, its definately worth checking out.

Sounds like you had fun and

Sounds like you had fun and did good.

I'm sure the family enjoyed the experience as well.

Thanks for the RR and for the suggestion.

Charlevoix in June can't be beat.

Maybe next year!

DD, I hope you put all that

DD, I hope you put all that in your blog post, so we can follow you.

Way to go, man! You're posts

Way to go, man! You're posts here tell the story behind your 3:26 - all that intelligent training paid off :D

The race is a great example for wannabe RDs everywhere, lol. Sounds a lot like the races here in Germany, in fact.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts