Chafing?

The only solution I have

The only solution I have found to eliminate it completely is to not run more than 5 miles haha.

Seriously though I typically use body powder, band-aids and compression shorts if I am going for a run longer than 10 miles. It's worse in the summer than the winter too.

BODYGLIDE!   It works wonders

BODYGLIDE! It works wonders and not messy like vaseline. I only use bodyglide for real long runs. I wanted to wear running shorts for my marathon, so I lathered myself between the thighs and between the butt checks like a buttered milk biscuit. No problems at all.

I also cut the lining out of a pair of running shorts and wear underarmour compression shorts underneath. If those boxer briefs are cotton stay away from them. Compression shorts are awesome.

i agree that the cotton is a

i agree that the cotton is a bad idea but i use moisture wicking boxer briefs and i have no problems chaffing. with cotton ones i did so i went out and found some that arent cotton. i got some at target that are cheap and really good but my expensive reebok ones are more comfortable.

Sports Boxing briefs work

Sports Boxing briefs work very well. Also running shorts that have a certain cut that prevent upper thighs from chafing.

compression shorts work great

compression shorts work great for me. I use the cheap ones from walmart. They work as well as under armour. Also, bodyglide is a life saver. I never race without it when the heat is on. I finished a marathon last summer and was a bit surprised when, while waiting for the awards ceremony, an elderly runner complimented me on my two red badges of courage. I looked down to see I had chaffed both nipples almost completely off and bled thru my favorite snowshoe race t shirt. Funny thing is, I was so into the race at the time I never felt it...until he pointed it out to me...then it hurt like hell for 2 weeks.!

Body Glide is my friend too! 

Body Glide is my friend too! At the Shamorck marathon, I had a mini stick that I bought at the expo to carry with me, but I never needed to reapply.

One thing struck me during that race. Only in a marathon can you see a Boyscout in full uniform, holding a huge tub of vasaline, with 10 popcicle sticks standing up in it, and offering it to passers by, and NO ONE pauses to make a joke.

Gotta love the Boy Scouts.

Gotta love the Boy Scouts.

BFWendyBird wrote:Body Glide

BFWendyBird said:
Body Glide is my friend too! At the Shamorck marathon, I had a mini stick that I bought at the expo to carry with me, but I never needed to reapply.

One thing struck me during that race. Only in a marathon can you see a Boyscout in full uniform, holding a huge tub of vasaline, with 10 popcicle sticks standing up in it, and offering it to passers by, and NO ONE pauses to make a joke.

LMAO Ok, now that is funny!

This is going to sound lame but I am new to running and not up to any distance beyond 3 miles yet so I am going to ask anyway. Ummm where do us girls have to worry about chafing since we wear bras and don't have dangly bits? Between the cheeks? Thighs? At what distance and or temp do precautions become necessary?

Inner thighs to start.  I

Inner thighs to start. I have an adorable running skirt with a built in compression short that is too short. It rides up leaving my inner thighs bare and chaffing. OUCH! Bras can chafe in all kinds of places. When I ran the 24 hour relay I held up my body glide and offered it around to the team. The gal that is training for an iron man, and ran 50 miles in 12 hours, practaclly lunged at me saying, "Thank you!!!" as she stuffed it down the front of her shirt. Her sports bra was chaffing her chest in upper front, LOL.

When I ran my second half marathon, and actually cared about my time instead of just finishing, I had chafing in places I never dreamed. Between butt cheeks is one, but pretty much the whole area between my legs (where the cotton crotch would be in a pair of standard panties) was raw! My friends and I were camped at the KOA and after the race all hit the showers. I was just thinking, "OMG, I shouldn't have shaved"
tmi.gif
when I heard my friend in the next shower stall yelping, "OMG, I should have shaved!" So neither aproach helped. For my next HM I Body Glided every possible surface and was fine. Same for the marathon, although I still had a bit of chafing after that, but it was little enough to be gone in a day or so.

Oh yea, and belly button. I have a couple of shorts and tights that hit me right at the belly button. I've come home from a long run with my belly button actually bleeding, OUCH! And I have an innie!

Edited to add, when you need to protect from chafing depends on a combination of heat, sweat, time, and humidity. Everyone's skin is different too, so it is a game of trial and error

I am not a female, but for

I am not a female, but for the most part our parts our similar.

Cameron is aware of the

Cameron is aware of the smiley issue, and will be correcting it really soon. Sorry about that.

(No subject)

:tongue:

seriously wendy that was in

seriously wendy that was in depth. i've never really had chaffing issues anywhere. oh wait no my cheeks chaffed once on an 18 miler in the 100 degree heat in cotton boxer briefs. that was a bad day. all i had was some shorts and the cottons which i figured would be better protection than going commando. based on what i'm hearing here i think i'm blessed to have had an entire career and never chaff anywhere

Okay, so I'm

Okay, so I'm thinking..."cheeks chaffing, must have been cold, no he writes 100 degrees, oh, so that's...different, he was wearing boxer briefs, okay, on his head? What?! Huh?! OH! His butt cheeks! Now I get it!"