Buckskin Gulch, Southern Utah

rickwhitelaw

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
Beryl Utah
Did this trail the other day with very short notice. Wasn't quite sure what to expect and what to pack. Only a little bit of time to research the trail. When I read a few of the reviews online, I knew I had to do it. It is ranked one of the top ten trails to hike in the US. The longest continuous slot canyon in the world and ranked one of the most dangerous hikes because of flash flood potential.

I decided to wear Keen sandals because of unknown conditions. If it was wet, there would be a lot of mud and wading through stagnant pools of water. Turns out it was dry and the weather was perfect. I did do 5 of the 21 miles barefoot. My friends set a very fast hiking pace, so I would fall behind and then have to jog to keep up. When I took the sandals off, I could maintain a slow barefoot run and keep up with them. We did the trail in just under 7 hours.

I won't go into much detail of the trail, but the scenery is some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Ranks up there with the Grand Canyon and Zion. Here are a few links.
www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0505/classic_trails_02.html
http://www.backpacker.com/october_0...us_hikes_buckskin_gulch_ut/destinations/12627
images
images
images

BEAUTIFUL! You are truly blessed to be living where you can run in such beautiful terrain.

With surroundings like that, I'd give up the road too.