BRS First ever Barefoot Runner Division held at the Special Olympics Polar Strut

frankperez_topeka_polarstrut2.jpg

BRS First ever Barefoot Runner Divisionheld at the Special Olympics Polar Strut
The Barefoot Runners Society hosted its first ever Barefoot Runner Division at the Special Olympics Polar Plunge and Polar Stut 5K in Topeka and Salinas, Kansas, and the 1 Mile in Wichita. Although we have placed our Stomp of Approval on other races with Barefoot Runner Divisions, this was actually the FIRST Barefoot Runner Division prompted and organized by the Barefoot Runners Society, specifically Frank Perez, Barefoot Metalman, Chapter President of the BRS Kansas Chapter.

A fund raising team representing the barefoot runners named Toe-Toe was created to help raise funds for the Special Olympics and to bring awareness to barefoot running.

Those from the BRS taking part in the event(s) were Frank Perez (Barefoot Metalman) in Topeka and Mark Harris and Karl Lambert (Slo Panda) in Witchita. Mark stated, “It was a nice short run, my first barefoot race, and the fastest that I had run the mile in years (at just over 6 minutes), with shoes or sans, but it was all on a rather bumpy road as opposed to a smooth walking trail, as I was expecting. My feet really took a beating on that run, plus, I was running fast to keep up with a couple of high schoolers, so my form probably wasn't the best.”

The Examiner covered the events, and you can read more athttp://www.examiner.com/running-in-wichita/wichita-s-polar-plunge-and-strut-raises-money-for-kansas-special-olympics.

FrankPerez_Topeka_PolarStrut2.jpg

Frank Perez at the Polar Struct in Topeka, Kansas

Karl&MarkHarris_PolarStrut2.jpg

Karl Lamber (left) &MarkHarris (right) at the PolarStrut in Wichita, Kansas

MarkHarris_PolarStrut2.jpg

Mark Harris at the Polar Strut in Wichita, Kansas

KarlLambert_PolarStrut2.jpg

Karl Lambert at the Polar Strut in Wichita, Kansas

I am a Bradley Childbirth teacher, artist, blogger, mother to four boy spawn, one of whom has autism, freelance writer, gardener, SciFi Geek, gear and stuff reviewer, aspiring beekeeper, and yogi.
View all 2 featured items
Reactions: Tyler J L