Born to Run the Movie 2014

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Interesting. I just can't conceive of how they're going to make it into a movie-story. Take out all the anthropology stuff? Also doesn't sound like it's for sure even going to get made? Like, they haven't even started filming?

Anyways, his critique of running culture is spot on: all about achieving, versus satisfaction in perfecting form.

I wondered the same thing, about the history of shoes and our evolution, etc.; how can they add it in? I hope he doesn't leave it out. If he does, then it will be as if he sold-out, IMO.

That article was written in June, so let's hope it's halfway completed, right? I doubt it. I can't find anything else current about it being made out there.

I have his email address if any of you want to ask him pointed questions about the movie. Maybe you can do an interview with him, and we can post it on the home page. Anyone?

Reactions: dharmadan
The thing is, if a movie is released, with or without the anthropology history added, we may just boom as a community. Then I will really need some of you to step up, take on some roles, and help out. We'll see. I'm excited to see what happens next year.

Interesting. I just can't conceive of how they're going to make it into a movie-story. Take out all the anthropology stuff? Also doesn't sound like it's for sure even going to get made? Like, they haven't even started filming?

Anyways, his critique of running culture is spot on: all about achieving, versus satisfaction in perfecting form.

A bit of "creative tweaking" of plot that is pretty normal when movies are made from books. A normal book is far too long to make a movie off, 100 pages usually make a 1,5 hour movie. With longer books you need to take a lot away and it usually ends up as a lousy action movie. I would guess that it has some half tarahumara that goes from NY back to mexico for some race and finds his superpower of running and lost secrets of huaraches, runs from drug people, fights them probably saves some running chick and wins some love? Also wins that race (probably a marathon) that has worlds best runners, who are plotting with drug people.

There will need to be explosions, somebody will get bitten by a rattlesnake, and the two young runners will obviously make mad, passionate love after discovering that they are lost in the canyons.

I read the book after I had been running barefoot for a while, but I'm always a bit surprised when people talk about it like it's a 'barefoot' book. To me it was about running, and the barefoot/minimalist stuff was incidental. I suspect that the movie will be similar.

In any case, I doubt that I'll see it - I haven't watched a movie in over five years now.

There will need to be explosions, somebody will get bitten by a rattlesnake, and the two young runners will obviously make mad, passionate love after discovering that they are lost in the canyons.

I read the book after I had been running barefoot for a while, but I'm always a bit surprised when people talk about it like it's a 'barefoot' book. To me it was about running, and the barefoot/minimalist stuff was incidental. I suspect that the movie will be similar.

I had the same impression about the book, more about running in general than barefoot specific. But as well, I read the book after I had started running barefoot and minimalist so it was not a 'Eureka' moment for me. 'Wow what is this thing called Barefoot Running, I think I will try that!'

Ditto.

Reactions: Longboard

To me it was really inspirational running book and the shoe section was also quite convincing. I would say that the book merely suggested idea of trying barefooting and barefooting experience then was the thing that really made people inspired about barefoot running.

Nice thing about the book was that it sounded kinda unbelievable, but you could confirm the stuff with little bit of googling. And I have this really faint memory of seeing those tarahumaras in tv as short snippet in finnish sports program (probably when they won at Leadville), I realized it when I read the book, didn't remember it otherwise.

A bit of "creative tweaking" of plot that is pretty normal when movies are made from books.

If I may, Niki Lauda said of this fall's movie Rush -- everything in the movie is exactly as it happened.

Not one hollywood liberty taken. Like Ron Howard's other not based-on-a-true-story-but-IS-a-true-story movie, Apollo 13.

Sounds like it'll be a service to the running world. <3

Reactions: Bare Lee
Cross dressing? What's a Hollywood movie without at least a little cross dressing?

...oh, right! The Tarahumara and their running skirt thingies! They will certainly make it into the movie!

Good for Chris MacD. He's gotten quite a ride on this project, and I appreciate every bit of his effort.

Reactions: Bare Lee
As a non-runner before reading "Born to Run" what appealed to me was the idea that running could be fun, sort of a type of flying. McDougall's descriptions of what it felt like to run with good form hooked me. I had to try that! So I got ChiRunning and started studying, but I have VERY bad form and kept falling back into it. Barefoot running was the thing to try next so I would be more inclined to at least notice my bad form. I'm so glad I tried it! There's hope, even for a 46 year old non-runner! I hope the movie conveys that hope and joy that can be found by learning the skill of running.

Scott

"Barefoot runners of the world, Untie!"

Not to be super cynical but....or, ok, I will be: I wouldn't be surprised if there is no barefooting in there at all. And that they'll have the Tarahumara (sp?) wearing shoes.

Would be better as a straight up documentary. I just can't see it getting made without 1. a romance, and 2. something about the drug cartels. I want so much to be proven wrong though.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
"They" (shoe whoring endorsers) tried that on the Tarahumara before as you will recall, John, at the Leadville 100. The Tarahumara got so frustrated with the shoes, they stopped during the race, took them off, and chucked them! Ha!

And John, you have the right to be cynical with your bad luck lately. Hang in there.

I was at taekwondo with my kids on Tuesday. I sat down next to a lady who I am becoming friends with, and I noticed she had a copy of BTR (soft cover; remember when it first came out, it was only available in hard copy). I asked her if she was liking it...yes, yes...I asked her how far she had gotten in the book...she pointed to about 3/4 done...I asked her what she thought about the shoe conspiracy theory (as a joke)...and she tells me she's now running in VFFs and loving it, up to six miles, etc., so I told her about the BRS and all of you guys. I gave her the URL. I hope she will join. It's a small world after all. :barefoot:

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090