BF study @ University of Colorado

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
I just got an e-mail saying that the University of Colorado is doing a Barefoot Running Study. The e-mail says that, "Considering the nature of the experiment it is recommended that subjects be able to run at an 8 min/mile pace for about an hour."

Now, I ask you, how many here can run an 8 minute mile for an hour? My experience tells me that most barefoot runners are more recreational runners that competitive. 8 min. miles for an hour is pretty competitive in my view.

Do you think they'll find enough subjects? This is an in-house study, you have to go to their lab and run on the treadmill.

That is good news, I could

That is good news, I could probably run 8 minute miles for an hour. But I don't really want to :) Plus I live to far away from there now.

When are they doing it? Maybe I could go up there this summer.

I wish I could go to

I wish I could go to that but Colorado is far away for me. 8-8.5 min/mile is my easy pace for long road runs so no trouble at all with that part.

Hhmm I have relatives in Colorado when is that going on Ram?

The e-mail or attachment do

The e-mail or attachment do not have any dates. It says to e-mail

barefootrunningstudy (at) gmail (dot) com

Bragger, Mokie!  I wonder

Bragger, Mokie! ;-)

I wonder what they are trying to compare fast barefoot runners to exactly. There are more middle to back of the pack barefoot runners, just the same as there are middle to back of the pack shod runners, when you compare the numbers apples-to-apples. There are also a few well-known fast barefoot runners too, but like Mokie pointed out, they have been doing this a while.

Thanks Ram, I sent them an

Thanks Ram, I sent them an e-mail, we will see what they say.

Your right there wont be many takers that are close enough to them unless its a ways off on the calender. Most barefoot runners are new at this and are on the up slope of getting their speed going so I wouldn't expect many going to this.

The treadmill part might be a challenge though....I might get dizzy and fall off the thing or something!

I run slow, They wouldn't

I run slow, They wouldn't want my turtle butt!

In competitions I run around 9's but that is fast for me, I like the slower paces they suit me.

It sounds like they want

It sounds like they want people who are not new to barefooting more than the speed thing, maybe the study pace/distance really wont be 8min/mile but mixed up speeds and distances since it is only recommended. 8 min pace maybe the fastest part of the testing but the testing may last an hour including the slower parts.

So someone who is slower but goes for longer distance's is really in just as good overall fitness....my 2 cents.

8min/mile wouldn't be the

8min/mile wouldn't be the prob, it's the 7,000 kilometers between me and them that's standing in the way! And to think, way back when, when we were looking to move out of NY, the choice was between Germany and Colorado ;)

My normal run are 8 min/mile

My normal run are 8 min/mile for a 10K, Half Marathon at 8:13 average and I seem like a turtle compared to the shod in the races around here. But no worries, because BFR is fun. If the study was done on a dreadmill, I wouldn't complete because they make me dizzy.

sheesh Lare, what I wouldn't

sheesh Lare, what I wouldn't give for an 8min/mi pace again. Ah well, more time to enjoy the scenery when turtling along:p My pre-barefoot pace was about 8min/mi and this was alway pretty middle of the road for all of the races I've been in around here.

If my calf would stop

If my calf would stop cramping, I could maintain that pace. I had to bail two 10K in the past 4 weeks due to calf cramps.

In my pre-barefoot days I

In my pre-barefoot days I hadn't ran more than 3 - 4 miles at a time since the 1980's and I didn't run more than 6.2 miles at once till my third year barefoot so it took me a long time to get going on the mileage side of things. I had a lot of set backs the first two years.

I received a message back

I received a message back from the University of Colorado Boulder people on this, in case anyone is interested in this, here is the time frame they are looking for. Thats way too soon for me to go there.

"Our study is being conducted at the University of Colorado Locomotion Lab located on Boulder main campus and will run from the 5th of July through August. The schedule is flexible to accommodate the work hours and/or vacation plans of participants."

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test