Barefooting Trails, I am not sure I dig it

LavaRunner

Chapter Presidents
Jun 4, 2010
I have done a lot of barefoot running in the last year. Nothing on the scale of some but heading out for a 6 mile BF run on about any surface is usually no big deal. I might get a small hotspot or some tender feet on a bad asphalt run but in general, I think I do OK. I don’t run as fast BF as I do in something minimal, I prefer KSOs, but I can usually deal with that since speed isn’t really the goal.

However, when I hit the trails there are just way too many gotchas. Sticks, Thorns, Rocks, pointy rocks and as much as I love the feel of running in soft or smooth dirt, it is almost inevitable I hit something painful. With a pair of VFFs or Huaraches (4mm cherry) I can still get the basic foot workout and have just enough protection that I don’t end up slowing down and losing the FUN which is why I am there anyway.

For example; Last night I headed to a local trail. It is a very sweet trail, lots of challenges like rocks, roots, creeks, hills, snakes, ticks and general pokey things. The run over to the trail is about 1 mile and I did that all BF then when I hit the trail, dodging the clover and the bees, I went from a 9 minute pace to 13 minute pace as I ooch’d and ow’d my way along a particular gravel and rock area, then the roots started jumping out and as light faded in the shadows I slowed even more. Finally after almost running into a tree, I was busy watching every step, and dodging poison ivy too, I decided to put on the KSOs. My pace increased and although I still need to keep a very close eye on the trail, I was able to look around a bit and enjoy the run.

Now I know I am speaking blasphemy here since I am “Supposed” to be a barefooter but I have to say, it is all about the pleasure of the run and sometimes I think I get so caught up in my own ego and doing it barefoot that I forget to enjoy the run.

Of course I am open for input on ways that I might improve my trail barefoot skills but I think I will stop getting so religious about it all.

Here is a POV video of me dodging things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tzvYYI0EP8

HoylesMill1.jpg

HoylesMill2.jpg

To me, the challenge is part

To me, the challenge is part of the fun. Then again, my trails seem to be different from most of the stuff I see here. When I encounter rocks they're big enough to safely step on and roots are the main concern. Still, I've found that relaxation is key to enjoying myself on the trails, it just doesn't hurt as much when you mess up that way.

Then again, if the shoes make you comfortable, even if they would have been of the tank-like variety, then go for it. To me there's no point in going barefoot all the time if it's painful. I do this to avoid pain and because of the fun aspect.

My trails are different from

My trails are different from yours. mine are alot of pine needles on soft dirt, some areas are rocky, about the size of a peach! The rocky areas makes me use my forefoot only. I come across moss and leaves alot, along with acorns. Some areas are rooty. But, what this does is it builds up the feet muscles you normally don't use in flat surface running. It strengthens the striation muscles that are not used in regular flat surfaces. It's like bench pressing, when you use the straight bar you only build mass, the dumb bells use the secondary striation muscle groups. It gives you the extra detailed muscle mass that the straight bar alone can't do. It's the same thing with trail running with the feet muscles. Flat builds mass, trails build secondary muscles. The mix gives superb feet muscles for any surface! Then again I may just be a freak? ;)

Lava, you've taken the words

Lava, you've taken the words right out of my mouth! I don't trail run and have no desire to do so, but I feel the way you do towards my roads. My ego wants me to be barefoot all the time, but that isn't always fun and it can suck the joy out of a run very quickly. My head tells me there is nothing wrong with wearing KSOs, that is makes perfect sense to want to protect my feet just a little bit. But my pride...well, that's another thing. I want to be able to tell people that I run barefoot exclusively! I'm not sure why I put that pressure on myself!

I could go either way on

I could go either way on trail running Lava. There are some trails that are even too harsh for me to tolerate with VFFs, and I end up in a pair of MT100s. Or sometimes I'm just in VFFs so that I don't have to worry so much about foot placement. I, like most of us here, love trail running. For me, as is the case with any surface I run on, enjoying my run is the most important thing. I like things about each of the pieces of footwear I run in, and I love barefooting.

It helps for me to remember that I'm not going out running in order to barefoot/in VFFs/in shoes. I'm going out that way to enjoy my run.

I agree, enjoying the run is

I agree, enjoying the run is most important, I actually do enjoy trail running myself. But, my trails are doable for that. I understand not all locations have that compatibility. Mine does have the ability to do it barefoot. I am thankful for that. Some part's do require the assistance of vff's though.

I love trail running, it is

I love trail running, it is such a total experience. The sounds, the smells, the changes. Oh, and the cute chick on the Mt bike, she passed me three times. Now Twice I get (out and back), but three? Where did she go after that?

I think something like a smooth dirt trail or some pine needles would be a dream. This trail I ran last night was one that Mt Bikers take often and leave a lot of gear on the rocks. Every rock seems to have shiny metal or scrapes on it.

I'll have to look around for a nice soft trail. There is a really cool trail about 15 minutes away on Sugarloaf Mt. I have hiked it but cannot remember its surface much

I love being on the

I love being on the trails...and I love doing them barefoot...if I can't "run" them I walk them....I do not try to avoid or step around rocks, roots, etc....I try to relax and blend with them, letting my feet conform to anything and everything, keeping my foot fall light and fast...I like the challenge, the freedom, the animal-in-nature like feeling I get....but then again, for me, it's not about the time, distance, or anything like that, it's not even about the "excercise" I get plenty of that...it's all about the experience of trying to stay in the moment, in the place, and letting go of my own judgements of "good trail/bad trail" "pain/pleasure" "easy/hard".....don't know if that makes any sense....but it's a place I like to be.

There are a lot of rocks and pointy shale, as the trails I run, are old logging roads...and many deer paths....on occasion, there is a fairly smooth packed dirt section, which is like cool blue cheese dressing to the insanity hot wings feeling of the majority of the run :). But I enjoy it all, and wouldn't do it if I did :). So, if you don't enjoy it, then you shouldn't do it....life is WAY to short to do something "extra-curricular" that you don't like.

Lava, if it makes you enjoy

Lava, if it makes you enjoy that type of run with something on your feet, then by all means, do what makes you happy. Don't worry about trying to be hard core. Impress yourself, and don't worry about what others thinks.

I like the challenge of a difficult terrain, but if at any time (thorns, blistering hot surface, etc.) I feel I need to put something on, I will, and I won't have anyone tell me I am not a barefoot runner. I know better.

Yea, life is too short to be

Yea, life is too short to be miserable. I do trails because I like them just like Nate said. I am not always speedy with them, but doing them bf gives me a sense of victory over the terain;). My buddy I work with is almost a black belt in kung fu, he just recently started trail blazing with me in vff's. He said it gives him extra balance and agility for his kung fu training and was glad I turned him on to it.

I love running trails

I love running trails barefoot, especially the gnarly overly-technical trails. But I'm kinda not right in the head. :)

I'm a firm believer in doing what makes you happy. If you do not enjoy running trails barefoot, why bother? There's absolutely no shame in strapping on a pair of KSOs or huaraches.

Maybe that is it. The trail

Maybe that is it. The trail isn't overly technical or gnarly so I barrel down the trail wanting to do a 9 minute pace where I should chill a little and just relax. If the trail was hard, rocky and technical then I'd probably take it easier and expect less. I hike some pretty crazy stuff BF and never think twice about it.

It didn't help that I was picking myself through a rather rocky part and some dude in shoes blew around me like I was standing still. It was at a wrong time in the wrong place.

I just ran 5 miles tonight,

I just ran 5 miles tonight, and less than 1 of those miles was on a trail...a trail that did not exist there before, but since the city is tearing out the old asphalt and laying new, it left me with a nice little surprise. I could have chosen to take the path to the left and stay on the asphalt or continue straight through what consisted of mostly granite rocks of all sizes and shapes everywhere, with stretches of slick, hard packed dirt and soft patches of sand here and there. I chose the "new" trail. It wasn't that difficult. I just slowed down, mega relaxed, and continued running at a slow, steady pace, and enjoyed strategically placing my feet in the friendliest part of the trail. What a blast! I had no expectations from the trail, and so I was able to truly enjoy it.

What I did notice the most was as soon as the asphalt (new) appeared, not only was I bummed, even though it was as smooth as a baby's bottom, but I noticed how heavy my footfalls became immediately on touching the new asphalt.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts