Barefoot sprinting?

DayRunner

Barefooters
Oct 8, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Just wondering if anyone here has experience of sprinting barefoot, eg 100m? If so did you have any issues with traction, loading on the feet, abrasion etc compared to running shod?

Not in a sprint race (yet). I did a 60 and 100 meter race on Saturday in thin soled shoes, and will try spikes next time as a benchmark, then barefoot after that for comparison. I did have a try sprinting barefoot on the track after the race and it felt ok, but I think I'd need to do it in a race to get a real perspective on it. I should add I am comfortable running barefoot over long distances, but just wanted to respect the difference in sprinting and seek to draw from from others experiences along the way.

So what was your experience barefootandagile?

Regards

Rob

Not in a sprint race (yet). I did a 60 and 100 meter race on Saturday in thin soled shoes, and will try spikes next time as a benchmark, then barefoot after that for comparison. I did have a try sprinting barefoot on the track after the race and it felt ok, but I think I'd need to do it in a race to get a real perspective on it. I should add I am comfortable running barefoot over long distances, but just wanted to respect the difference in sprinting and seek to draw from from others experiences along the way.

So what was your experience barefootandagile?

Regards

Rob

My experience was that is was abrasive and unpleasant on my soles. I prefer the comfort of min shoes and spikes for sprinting.

Reactions: dutchie53
30 years ago I ran a 1600m race barefoot. Set a PR but it tore up my feet, to the point that I did not dabble anymore in barefoot until a couple of years ago. I know that is not what you guys would call a sprint, but I feel the same things would occur in a sprint. I agree with B&A that if I would get the urge to start sprinting I would be wearing some kind of footwear.

I started adding speed work to my workouts (mostly on asphalt right now, have done some on rubber track, but my feet were not as adapted then) because I found it "impossible" to keep from a little sprint at the end of races. Just doing it in the races was drawing blood. Now, with more regular speedy runs, my feet seem to be adapting and it sure is fun to whip up some speed in bare feet!

Just FYI, the founder of Invisible Shoes / Xero Shoes, Stephen Sashen, is a masters sprinter. If you go to the RunBarefootGirl Podcast, he discusses his experience as a sprinter when Caity has him on. Highly recommend this if you're interested in sprinting. Does he participate here? If he does pop in, he REALLY knows what he's talking about.

Well as intended I went away and bought the running spikes and went back last weekend and clocked the following benchmark times (Mondo track, electronic timing, No Wind Indicated):

60m: 8.20s
100m: 12.78s

Both runs felt good, reasonably quick start etc. So I went back today to sprint barefoot and this is what I got (same track, also No Wind Indicated):

60m: 8.13s
100m: 12.79s

So the 60m, where you would think the spikes would give the biggest advantage was actually faster barefoot! And the 100m was practically no difference... I'm not sure if I should be happy that barefoot sprinting appears to be so viable, or sad that I've just seemingly wasted $100 on sprinting spikes!

Noted this is a small sample set to draw conclusions from, but both runs felt comparable and there was no wind differential so at face value barefoot sprinting looks like a go-er. I should add that my soles felt fine (and if anything they are a little out of condition at the moment as I have been taking a training break the past 8 weeks). I have set some sprint time goals for the next 17 months so will probably continue to clock times both shod and unshod and see if any differences start to show as I get faster (assuming I manage to do so)

Well as intended I went away and bought the running spikes and went back last weekend and clocked the following benchmark times (Mondo track, electronic timing, No Wind Indicated):

60m: 8.20s
100m: 12.78s

Both runs felt good, reasonably quick start etc. So I went back today to sprint barefoot and this is what I got (same track, also No Wind Indicated):

60m: 8.13s
100m: 12.79s

So the 60m, where you would think the spikes would give the biggest advantage was actually faster barefoot! And the 100m was practically no difference... I'm not sure if I should be happy that barefoot sprinting appears to be so viable, or sad that I've just seemingly wasted $100 on sprinting spikes!

Noted this is a small sample set to draw conclusions from, but both runs felt comparable and there was no wind differential so at face value barefoot sprinting looks like a go-er. I should add that my soles felt fine (and if anything they are a little out of condition at the moment as I have been taking a training break the past 8 weeks). I have set some sprint time goals for the next 17 months so will probably continue to clock times both shod and unshod and see if any differences start to show as I get faster (assuming I manage to do so)

Interesting...How did you get access to electronic timing so easy?

Masters Athletics, they run a programme at the State Athletics Facility here from September through to April, with meets every 1-2weeks. They offer age-graded performances from 30+ (those are raw times above though, although at 34 age grading wouldnt make much of a difference anyhow). It's pretty good, turn up at least 15mins in advance and for $5 you can enter a range of track and field events depending what takes your fancy. As there's lots of age categories people are regularly trying to break State/National records so they need to measure to a benchmarkable standard, which is great for someone like me who wants to be accurately measured over a short distance.
And there's guys and girls there up into their 70s and 80s still entering sprint races, when I get older I want to be like them!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS