Barefoot running...not an excuse to slack off!

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
One of the things I've appreciated about BFR (and now minimalist running, which I've started doing more of) is that my knees have been doing SO much better than they were in my old Asics with my heel strike. When I was wearing running shoes, I had to use my foam roller a LOT to work out tight areas in my thighs (quads, IT band, hamstrings.) Once I started BFR, I realized I didn't need my foam roller as often, and mostly needed it for my calves.

But I didn't realize, I still needed to work to keep those muscles in my upper legs loose. Apparently I store stress there or something! When I was on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks, I did all my scheduled runs. But I hardly used the foam roller at all, and I only did my normal strengthening exercises ONCE. So my legs started to get tight and probably weaker...and at the end of the vacation I started feeling that familiar knee pain that's caused by a tight IT band/tight quads. When I got home, it got worse. I even had to cut a run short this weekend--I hate doing that!!

So I'm back to my regular strength training, and I also have been using the foam roller a whole lot to re-loosen those upper legs. Today's run was great; thankfully I've been through the IT band stuff before and know how to properly use a foam roller, so I was able to nip it in the bud.

But I realized that I was depending on better form to keep me uninjured, and getting lazy with the other ways I need to take care of my legs/hips/knees. (For me, that's strengthening exercises, and using the foam roller.)

I've seen TJ say it here--BFR isn't a ticket that guarantees no injuries! We still have to take care of ourselves!

I also believe if you ever

I also believe if you ever wear shoes, you will have kinks you need to work out whether you are running in them or not.

I agree...variety is key. 

I agree...variety is key. When I started going barefoot, I also started alot of crosstraining. Crossfit, cycling, plyo, etc., I run less weekly mileage now, but can run farther and faster than every before. My body seems way more resilient as a result of keeping things balanced too.

Welcome back, Beth.  Two and

Welcome back, Beth. Two and a half weeks is a long vacation. What would I do with 2-1/2 weeks? Hmmmmm...

Thanks, all! Yeah, 2 1/2

Thanks, all!

Yeah, 2 1/2 weeks is a long time, TJ, but it was all visiting family (both mine & hubby's.) So while it was fun, it wasn't super-duper exciting. :)

Amen to that, just because we

Amen to that, just because we run barefoot like the Gods...doesn't mean we're invincible;) Glad you're back and back to your regularly scheduled strength/run combo programming