Barefoot Running Magazine is Ready for Download!

Reactions: Line Kolbe
the cover page is the big downfall :(
Yah, like a nudist magazine with a couple in a speedo and bikini on the cover, equally minimalist in their attire, but missing the point as well.

But without shoe ads and reviews, how else are they going to pay for the glossy layout? Selling bare feet is a losing proposition. We need a rich patron saint to put out a truly barefoot running rag, and weed out all the opportunists.

Reactions: Ameet and bfsailor
oh the negativity!
It's subtitle is "World's first barefoot & minimalist running magazine"
Like this whole site it's for both for the barefoot and for the minimalist runners.
You can welcome it like you can welcome the minimalist part our community here.
This issue has been gone over before.
The main title is "Barefoot Running Magazine."
The main picture has shoes.
Many people have found that equating barefoot with shoes = injuries.
It's not nitpicking.
Look inside, it's all shoes, maybe a few token bare feet here and there.
Like Dutchie said, this is a minimalist magazine.
It's not negative, just being honest.

I have to agree with everyone that says that there is not nearly enough content about actual barefoot running in this magazine, but just like this forum and many of the 'Barefoot' FB groups, if you don't include features and discussions on minimalist shoes etc, you will lose the majority of your members and readers. I have spent many long hours this year trying to promote a 10K barefoot only global charity run. So far 5 barefooters have signed up :(

Reactions: Bare Lee
It's damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

We too support both the barefoot and minimalist runner, but our name is Barefoot Runners Society. Our main intent is for people to go barefoot, then if needed don footwear. I find myself in this predicament. Here I am, the President of the Barefoot Runners Society, and although I can walk "nearly" everywhere barefoot, if I were able to run again, I would have to wear footwear at all times for all terrains. Should I step down?

Reactions: Bare Lee
Don't you dare think about stepping down TJ

It's damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

We too support both the barefoot and minimalist runner, but our name is Barefoot Runners Society. Our main intent is for people to go barefoot, then if needed don footwear. I find myself in this predicament. Here I am, the President of the Barefoot Runners Society, and although I can walk "nearly" everywhere barefoot, if I were able to run again, I would have to wear footwear at all times for all terrains. Should I step down?
You are well-versed on the whole shoes-are-tools topic, and put on footwear to prevent further injury.
Many minimalists are uneducated about the issues, and further their chances of injury by putting on footwear unthinkingly.
Apples and oranges.
We see the same story here over and over: "I put on shoes to run barefoot and got injured, what am I doing wrong?"

We would be lost without you of course.
And your case is a sterling example of how footwear misapplied can have bad results.
For me, Ken Bob is right until proven wrong.

And without having run so much barefoot, I wouldn't be able to evaluate the merits of a given minimalist shoe in all those reviews.

Just think it would be great is someone in that mag would wax poetic about the various surface textures they've encountered or something, or talk about some campaign they're directing to allow children to play barefoot more. That would be my kind of barefoot running magazine. Barefooting can be part of a positive, more naturalistic lifestyle, and they've turned it into consumerism.

I'll shut up now.

That's all good. We should be able to voice our opinions, and in the end, those opinions will only help all involved, including the magazine. Perhaps the editors/creators of the magazine will add more barefoot content. I know they are reading this thread, as well as the one on our Facebook page.

Just think it would be great is someone in that mag would wax poetic about the various surface textures they've encountered or something, or talk about some campaign they're directing to allow children to play barefoot more. That would be my kind of barefoot running magazine.

I had a wonderful run last Sunday. I started out on a quite rough stony track which became gradually more covered in slightly damp soil as I got further into the wood. The path then got narrower and was covered in soft pine needles before opening out into an area of sand dunes where the path was dry and warm from the sun. Midway across the dunes I waded a sandy-bottomed cool freshwater stream, and after the dunes came to a closely cropped grass field full of wild flowers. I remember feeling then that my feet, heart and soul were all soaring.

That's Barefoot Running.

Maybe I should offer my services to the magazine ;)

That's all good. We should be able to voice our opinions, and in the end, those opinions will only help all involved, including the magazine. Perhaps the editors/creators of the magazine will add more barefoot content. I know they are reading this thread, as well as the one on our Facebook page.
Yah, like I said in my second comment, I don't blame them for selling stuff, they have to make a living. Habitual barefooters will probably always be in the minority. We're not a viable demographic for advertising.

I'm just requesting a little terminological honesty, because the consequences are real.

Also, if they could adopt a shoes-are-tools ethos, that would go a long way towards fixing the double bind. Maybe make every first article about actual existing barefoot running, or a standard blurb about the importance of starting out barefoot, and then get into the footwear stuff. But even that tepid responsibility might scare off advertisers and running instructors, I dunno.
I had a wonderful run last Sunday. I started out on a quite rough stony track which became gradually more covered in slightly damp soil as I got further into the wood. The path then got narrower and was covered in soft pine needles before opening out into an area of sand dunes where the path was dry and warm from the sun. Midway across the dunes I waded a sandy-bottomed cool freshwater stream, and after the dunes came to a closely cropped grass field full of wild flowers. I remember feeling then that my feet, heart and soul were all soaring.

That's Barefoot Running.

Ha! Beautiful description. At the very least, you should participate regularly on the Mileage forum. Hearing other people's stories is inspiring.

OK. Will do Lee. Only when I'm not wearing shoes though ;)

OK. Will do Lee. Only when I'm not wearing shoes though ;)
Ha! Hey, I had some very nice winter runs in my Sockwa G4s. You can feel every contour and crevice in the compacted snow with those things. I know you were just kidding, but one of the points I was trying to make is that I wouldn't have been able to recognize the G4s' superior groundfeel, nor have had the form and landing to run in them properly, without having first run barefoot for a significant amount of time.

It still amazes me that last fall an over-the-hill guy like me was able to routinely run half-marathonish distances barefoot. When I ran shod in my prime, I never felt like I could go past five miles. It just feels so smooth and solid when I run now.

I wear Sockwa (Amphibians, G3 or X8) when I am not barefoot. I went through all the Vivo, VFF, Freets, New Balance phases to get to where I am now. I was never a runner before that, so there was no actual transition for me. I used the minimalist shoes whilst my feet and legs became strong enough to go barefoot, hence why I can't knock anyone running in minimalist shoes (or Nike for that matter)

That's Barefoot Running.

I AM SO JEALOUS.