barefoot . . . re-thought

barefoot_small.png
barefoot . . . re-thought
By steveschroederart

Barefoot – has forgotten who “IT” is, [forgotten] how to appreciate the simplicity of why many initially returned to a natural walking/running of feet bare. Barefoot has/is getting lost in the sterilized text of “How To” books or “Training” books and the ever-present “Guide” books. Barefoot is becoming lost in an endless banter of logged-miles and timed-speed.
In a weird twist of reality, barefoot is trying to BE, what IT seeks to escape from [and] that is the structured, rigid, and FAKE soul of walking/running with . . . well, with fake soles.

Barefoot is seeking legitimacy through commercialization – it’s simply selling itself out to the same mundaneness that destroyed running [for-the-sake of running] that has occurred over the last 30-40 years.

Barefoot has replaced the EMOTION of the bare-sole, with techniques and steps. You should not teach going barefoot. You can and should however, encourage others to simply take their shoes off, and FEEL how to remember to walk barefoot.

PLEASE: I’m NOT condemning those who try to teach barefoot, or talk about it. Instead, I’m simply suggesting that we talk about the “emotion” of going barefoot. Who cares how many miles you put on, instead, talk about the RUSH of feeling you get when squishing your toes in mud, or the insane coolness of FEELING each leaf crunch, or the SENSATION of sun warmed pavement as it mitigates the briskness of a winter’s day.

We believe in our society that everything needs to be taught, that programs and goals [that] progress is gained through these choreographed pre-planned scheduled advancements . . . screw that!
Often I hear when out and about barefoot, “Doesn't it hurt to go barefoot?” “Shoes hurt my mind,” is often my reply, as shoes reduce the time spent looking-down: Shoes confine your vision to what is up-ahead, or down-the-road [while] we tend to step-over, step-on, step-past the beautiful moment [that] ISalive and breathing beneath feet left bare.

Shoes, be-they standard or “minimal” ARE still shoes. Even the minimal shoes create a sense of safety and comfort which bypass the moment [while] bare-foot – creates the moment.

“Barefoot asks nothing more of you than to simply live the moment.” {s.s. – 2014}

People seem to lace-up their lives in this big damn rush [which] then is neatly tied-off with a perfect bow. We are taught to bind ourselves, to secure from the elements every possible obstacle.
YET – today is often forgotten or walked-over:
unappreciated,
unfelt,
unheard.

Reckless abandonment of living is not what I promote, [however] life is meant to be felt! The moment that is [is meant] to be the moment – felt each day. Slow down and take time to feel the moment. Remind yourself to ENJOY the barefoot run, to FEEL and promote to others the simple beauty of: Life and Living, as it ooze’s wonderful mud between your toes . . .

commotion
abounds barefoot
as
barefoot exposes
9 spiders of legs-long
14 ants of craftsantship
2 squirrels scampering silent
commotion
abounds barefoot
as
barefoot exposes
twigs unhinged as stick-figures
rocks establishing their aged wisdom
glass reversing its conception
commotions of life
seen
felt
smelled
barefoot
IS
beautiful commotion

{s.s. – 2014}

About the Author

Artist/Writer - Barefoot runner living in NE Iowa. "You don't learn how to run barefoot, instead, you remember how to run barefoot" [my quote]. Author of two websites which I shamelessly promote: "runitbare.com" { where my thoughts run bare } and "steve-schroeder-art.com" { where I express thoughts bare, in various mediums }.

Thinker, Writer, Artist: Much more explained on my website: [url]http://www.runitbare.com/[/url]
View all 1 featured items
I am new to barefoot running and I so agree. Sometimes I have to just take of my Vibram SeeYas just to feel that connection of the mind and body while running. I try to explain to people that when you run barefoot they think you are going to step on glass or dog poop which is possible but they just don't get how your eyes, feet and brain connect to make you more aware of your surroundings its like your eyes look down in just enough time to see what's in front of you on the ground for 20 yards without erasing what's visible around you and yes, you do go a tad slower because your feet is telling your brain constantly how to balance yourself and apply the right amount of pressure when running on various terrain but faster times just can replace that connection with my mind and body. No matter how minimal the material of your shoe; that connection doesn't click in until your are truly barefoot.

Welcome, David! :barefoot:

I am new to barefoot running and I so agree. Sometimes I have to just take of my Vibram SeeYas just to feel that connection of the mind and body while running. I try to explain to people that when you run barefoot they think you are going to step on glass or dog poop which is possible but they just don't get how your eyes, feet and brain connect to make you more aware of your surroundings its like your eyes look down in just enough time to see what's in front of you on the ground for 20 yards without erasing what's visible around you and yes, you do go a tad slower because your feet is telling your brain constantly how to balance yourself and apply the right amount of pressure when running on various terrain but faster times just can replace that connection with my mind and body. No matter how minimal the material of your shoe; that connection doesn't click in until your are truly barefoot.

thanks David - we tend to live a society where we are TAUGHT that everything needs to be instant.... and its simply not true. be they Minimal shoes or regular - they simply remove the touch of skin to nature. I'm NOT a medically trained person, nor expert in any fashion - yet, it has appeared to me over the years that running completely barefoot HELPS the body in this simple way: you are correct, in that running barefoot causes you to move, to pay attention more - to jump over stones, to alter your stride, to weave around through-out the run, thus strengthening the body and muscles, and improving your body's ability to react when sudden alterations occur.

where this obscene notion that a "perfect-stride" is constructed of: a constant, this unfaltering motion for miles upon miles ... is ... well, its really stupid. The human body didn't evolve to run in perfect stride - it evolved to adapt, to alter, to change course - fast, then slow, up/down, zig zagging, jumping, etc...
its the advent of "timing" and racing that screwed-up the natural adaptive movement [running] that is innate to humans.

David - just take the time to adapt your feet. it took me over a year of walking around barefoot to simply get up to a few miles a week running barefoot.... its NOT the miles in that year I remember - INSTEAD - its what I felt, the simplicity of life that rammed back into my memory - take OFF the vibrams [its just marketing], and FEEL again ~ peace, steve

I try to explain to people that when you run barefoot they think you are going to step on glass or dog poop which is possible but they just don't get how your eyes, feet and brain connect to make you more aware of your surroundings its like your eyes look down in just enough time to see what's in front of you on the ground for 20 yards without erasing what's visible around you...

David - When people ask me about stepping on glass, trash, goose poo, etc, I tell them I use the same "2, 4 and 12 second" method I use when riding a motorcycle to avoid it.
You're constantly aware of what's immediately ahead of and around you (2 Second zone), what's urgent for you to be aware of (4 seconds) and what to calmly anticipate (12 seconds). Since you're aware of everything relevant within those zones but you're not focused or fixated on any of them for any length of time (i.e. - no constantly watching the ground right in front of you...), you stay more relaxed and can calmly respond to potential hazards instead of dealing with everything in a reactionary manner from just watching the ground directly in front of you.

And if they still don't understand, I just ask them "Don't you watch where you step...?" Oddly, I get a lot of blank looks from that one. Like they never thought of actually paying attention to what they're stepping on (or in)...

its NOT the miles in that year I remember - INSTEAD - its what I felt, the simplicity of life that rammed back into my memory..

Agreed. Taking off my shoes and feeling the world I'm running in has made running FAR more enjoyable for me.

Running barefoot has greatly enhanced my running experience too. Not only do I enjoy the freedom and the sensory stimulation but I am amazed that persevering through the initial discomfort has resulting in improved endurance. When I tried running many years ago, I was less motivated to power through the aches and pain needed to condition my body. BF running has changed me and re-energized my exercise regimen.

I love everything you said and the way you said it. I just tell my husband that running barefoot is like the bubbles in my champagne, the bling in the ring, the perfume in the flower. Shoes make my run dead, flat, boring and a chore. (I only know this from having to wear VFFS for one mile warm ups in cold weather.) When the shoes come off, it's like a switch gets flipped and I wake up and RUN.

I love everything you said and the way you said it. I just tell my husband that running barefoot is like the bubbles in my champagne, the bling in the ring, the perfume in the flower. Shoes make my run dead, flat, boring and a chore. (I only know this from having to wear VFFS for one mile warm ups in cold weather.) When the shoes come off, it's like a switch gets flipped and I wake up and RUN.

beautifully stated!! with appreciation and respect towards: technique, training, times - the strength {and future growth of barefoot} lies not in rehashing the structured realm of commercialized running. instead, I believe that EMOTIONS, EXPERIENCES, ENERGY ~ the subtle regenerating of life lived within positive barefoot steps, be-it walking 3 steps or running 50 miles . . . that is where the barefoot movement can and will thrive

Reactions: DNEchris
Not exactly - we get pretty much unlimited room to roam!
Have you seen that commercial where the free-range chicken keeps sending selfies of himself to the farmer? It's hysterical!

for all these reasons and more I am hanging up my competition days at the end of this year. three ultras to celebrate my 40 years, and then running for the love of it!
shoes no shoes is irelavent to me these days its all about that moment when you start smiling because its fun and nothing that has happened or will happen matters. That could be at mile one or thirty but if you just keep running it will happen each and every run at some point, (usually for me about ten steps after I realise i'm either not wear I should be or lost).
Dont run to escape your demons, bring them along and then leave them on the trail.

Welcome, BAR!

for all these reasons and more I am hanging up my competition days at the end of this year. three ultras to celebrate my 40 years, and then running for the love of it!
shoes no shoes is irelavent to me these days its all about that moment when you start smiling because its fun and nothing that has happened or will happen matters. That could be at mile one or thirty but if you just keep running it will happen each and every run at some point, (usually for me about ten steps after I realise i'm either not wear I should be or lost).
Dont run to escape your demons, bring them along and then leave them on the trail.

AWESOME attitude!! thank you so much. I actually just created a new blog post to expand upon your wonderful insight and comment! thank you - steve

Welcome, BAR!

Hi TJ! - as you haven't booted my barefoot views from this site yet, I wished to say thank you for adding my "barefoot...re-thought" to the main page. the response has been overwhelming, and appreciated. I stumbled upon this site, and have found an open and diverse group of humans residing within - and that is wonderful. my views and approach may be different - but I truly believe that which many consider "different" is actually "normal" - yet our species has simply forgotten the beauty of simplicity. OH - I just posted a cool photo/quote of mine - not a lot of people write about the "voices in their head" ... :) smiles to your day!